Author Topic: Best Passenger Backrest  (Read 11955 times)

Offline lawfarm

Best Passenger Backrest
« on: July 06, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »
New C14 owner here (just picked up a 2010 with 5k miles on it).

My wife is a new, somewhat reluctant motorcycle passenger.  She used to ride with me years ago on cruisers, but we never spent the time to find a comfortable setup for her.  In a perfect world, she'd be on a Goldwing in the lazyboy that they come with (or in one of the BMWs that she seems to like to look at), but budget constraints prohibit that. 

If I could design the ideal backrest, it would be easily removable/installable, adjustable in height and fore/aft positioning, would have comfortable padding, and would have some element of wraparound/arm support/armrest.  So far, I've found everything other than the armrest part...and I understand I'm not likely to find that.  So:

1) Is the full package possible?
2) If not, what's the best option that meets everything other than the armrest?

Offline lugnuts

Re: Best Passenger Backrest
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:58 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:44:52 AM »
I have something that fits the bill.  I picked it up from a forum member 2 years ago.  Maybe someone can ID it, but unfortunately I don't remember which forum, or member, and I think this was a prototype to something that never went into production.  At least I have never seen another like it.  It WAS powder coated, but was flaking off so I painted it.  Paint is not holding up well, but easy for me to do again. 

I don't keep it on all the time.  Just 2 bolts and it adjusts forward and back in the grooves of the aluminum rack plate. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »
I had a Corbin seat with the oval ring back rest. It had a little bit of adjustment.
Never had any complaints, but it isn't a Goldwing.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »
JOERAU:  That's my rack and a bracket I made to support a Givi Scooter backrest. Before there was anything on the market, I was asked to make a backrest and the scooter BR option was all that was available. The one for the Suzuki Bergman and Honda Silverwing were adaptable. As you can tell by the construction they take a lot of time to make by hand, consequently I don't offer them.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
Here is an example I did using the Bergman backrest.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=382.0
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »
I keep looking at Harley top boxes with armrests.  If I can get the back comfy enough for the few times she rides I could get rid of the  land yacht K1200lt
08B 73.5K miles

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
I keep looking at Harley top boxes with armrests.  If I can get the back comfy enough for the few times she rides I could get rid of the  land yacht K1200lt

I hear ya, mine is always crying for arm rests and a comfy seat. She sees those hardleys and its not good.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:07:32 AM »
JOERAU:  That's my rack and a bracket I made to support a Givi Scooter backrest. Before there was anything on the market, I was asked to make a backrest and the scooter BR option was all that was available. The one for the Suzuki Bergman and Honda Silverwing were adaptable. As you can tell by the construction they take a lot of time to make by hand, consequently I don't offer them.

That's great!  Now I know where it came from.  A well built piece for sure. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990