Author Topic: Who makes the best cover.  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Cuda

Who makes the best cover.
« on: February 24, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »
Need a cover , who makes the best one?
Thanks jj
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Who makes the best cover.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »
Need a cover , who makes the best one?

http://www.cycleshell.com/
Big (for a cover) and expensive.... and it WORKS
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:57:17 AM »
Nelson Rigg makes some darn nice covers. I have two of them. The Falcon Defender 3000 XL is a great cover and I use that as my winter cover inside the garage. It's an outdoor cover though and it would do a great job for that as well. 

If you're looking for a smaller cover to keep the dust and the sun off your bike, the UV 2000 is nice. I carry that one in my bag and cover my bike up at work. It's reflective and does a good job of keeping the bike cool on those hot days.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
I still use my COG logo Tour King mini (half cover) which I got back in 2004.
It's perfect for both C14 and C10, (it was originally designed for the old bike), and rolls to the size of a pop can...making it convenient to stow.
They are available on the COG merchandise site, with logo, or from this place
http://www.tourkingcovers.com/shop/category.asp?catid=2

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
The cheap ones at cyclegear work fine for me.
2008 C-14

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
I love My factory Kawasaki cover. Very tough, & fits the bike like it was made for it, which it was.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
I'm also looking for a lockable, waterproof cover. Of those recommended, do any of them fit this criteria? Also needs to fit over a Givi E55.
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 08:05:19 PM »
http://www.cycleshell.com/
Big (for a cover) and expensive.... and it WORKS

Well, bought in early 2011.  After 5 years the UV destroyed it.  Got a replacement cover in mid 2016, and tried to remember to treat it with UV protection a few times a year.  Now in late 2022, UV has destroyed that one as well (gets thin and then tears).  Apparently I didn't use enough UV protectant, the right kind, and/or often enough.

And it looks like they have problems producing units now (just Emailed, waiting for reply).  The product is otherwise great- a quick-folding "tent" attached to a base you ride onto so it is stable and never blows off (even in the worst storms).  Love it.  Works so well.  But I think just about any type of fabric will degrade in relentless direct sunlight.

I looked at other brands, they are all even more expensive and have no base at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 03:55:45 AM »
A fabric cover is only ever good for a while. For long term storage you need a garage or a shed made of wood/steel/ceramic.
Yes, I do understand that not everyone has somewhere like that (or can create somewhere like that) to store their motorcycle, but fabrics kept outdoors will degrade and never last more than a few years. Just the action of the wind is constantly flexing the fabric and it just wears away regardless of the degradation caused by UV and chemicals in the air.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
I use the Nelson Rigg UV2000 half cover and just replace it every few years. NOTHING lasts very long in the Phoenix sun.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 10:26:03 PM »
Depending on what your needs are Geza has several options. I’ve been using one of their covers since 2012 but only with occasional exposure to direct sunlight.
http://www.gezagear.com/pricefabric.htm
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 10:22:07 AM »
Depending on what your needs are Geza has several options. I’ve been using one of their covers since 2012 but only with occasional exposure to direct sunlight.
http://www.gezagear.com/pricefabric.htm

I have one from the late 90s that is still in good condition. As for Concours covers, I have the one from Kawasaki. UV will be a problem with any cover over time, but that is why you want a cover of you are parking outside. Better the cover is destroyed rather than the parts of the bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 02:16:16 PM »
Well, bought [CycleShell] in early 2011.  After 5 years the UV destroyed it.  Got a replacement cover in mid 2016, and tried to remember to treat it with UV protection a few times a year.  Now in late 2022, UV has destroyed that one as well (gets thin and then tears).  Apparently I didn't use enough UV protectant, the right kind, and/or often enough.

Vendor never replied to calls or Email.  Then the website was taken down.  So R.I.P. Cycle Shell.

My small tear was caught by the wind and turned into a several foot vertical tear (the entire panel) and then horizontally several inches across the bottom.  Bought some grey, synthetic tarp-like material at Walmart, and some 3M 90 "Hi-Strength Contact Adhesive Spray."  Cut a piece of the tarp to cover the entire affected area with lots of overlap.  Then sprayed it and the Cycle Shell with the adhesive.  It comes out like silly-string.  Several passes and then let it set up for a few minutes then attached it.  Should have been a two-person job, since if it touches, it sticks.... but there are a few minutes of "pull off the wrong and re-stick" time.

Anyway, it looks better than I thought.  I have no idea how it will hold up.  Time will tell.  Found another small tear on top and slapped a patch on that the same way.  If this works, I could end up covering the whole thing in this stuff.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 02:57:54 AM »
No amount of UV "protection" works on fabric motorcycle covers so plan on replacing/repairing them every 5 years.
Damage is not only caused by UV but also by wind constantly flexing the fabric, by wind borne debris from grain of sand size upwards, and by rain.

After having 3 different bike covers and a Bike Barn that all disintegrated the same way, I bought a house with a garage.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 03:36:23 PM »
Yeah, that is true.  I think you are right about the "mechanical" fatigue.  What was thick canvas is now so thin you can almost see through it.

And I do have a garage, but it is only 1 car, and that is where the car lives.
Can't really build anything because of codes.  Sigh.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 08:35:14 AM »
That sux. You can't even build a shed? I have a friend who keep his BMW in a 6'×10' shed with double doors and a small ramp.
His is similar to this. https://www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/6x10-palram-grey-skylight-shed
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 09:14:09 PM »
That sux. You can't even build a shed? I have a friend who keep his BMW in a 6'×10' shed with double doors and a small ramp.

I am not sure.  I think if it is not touching the house and is not "permanent" I might be able to.  But with something small and enclosed, I am not sure I could sit on it and actually back the Concours out.  Plus, those things can be very expensive.  Looks like a 6x8 starts at over $1000 :(

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2023, 08:40:06 AM »
True, not cheap, but will outlast any fabric cover.
Check the local sales sites as someone might be selling a used one.
I don't know your skills or situation but you could probably build your own from wood for under $500.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK