Author Topic: New bike question  (Read 4612 times)

Offline timbo

New bike question
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
Just unloaded the new beast. 2011 silver abs. Guess I didnt notice at the dealer, but rode it again down the road and I see that the "2" on the gear indicator doesnt show, all the other numbers appear tho. Whats up with that? Any boby else ever have this problem? Brand new bike, put together yesterday.

Offline Shoe

Re: New bike question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
No. Welcome.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
Sure sounds like a faulty gear position sensor, it only takes a coupla minutes for the shop to troubleshoot it, had mine replaced under warranty last year, which BTW, is my only warranty claim.  '08 non ABS, 52,000 miles.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
All my gears display on my 2011.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
I get missed indicators occasionally in 1, N and 2. Do the upper gears indicate correctly?

+1 on stopping back at the dealer.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
Take it back and have them fix it.  We've seen it before.  Something goes wonky (I can't remember what...shift sensor thingy) and they can fix it readily enough.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline timbo

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:33:42 PM »
Ok. I just went for a ride and it is working now. I will keep my eye on it and take it to the dealer if it messes up anymore.

Offline timbo

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »
Just talked to dealer and he said ride it and see if it works itself out if not call him and he will order the gear position sensor!

Offline Khrome

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
When I picked mine up a couple weeks ago I was noticing it was occasionally not showing up at various shifts... After putting a few miles on it seems to have went away, if you are in a gear and it doesn't show, have you tried lightly touching the gear shift ... I have had mine not show OD a couple times and I would just lightly lift the shifter and the OD would come on...  Seems like everything has adjusted in now though and corrected itself.
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
Occasionally you can be about 90% of the way in a particular gear and the indicator will read blank or the previous gear number. Usually just moderately pressing on the gear lever will finish it off and the gear indicator will then read correctly. It is nothing to worry about but you may want to be just a bit firmer in shifting if it continues.

Of course if it continues to happen in a particular gear then something may be wrong with the bike. So if the problem persists, especially in a specific gear, have the dealer take a look.

My gear position indicator became 'munched' (technical term: read as 'broken') and had to be replaced under warranty. When it did go south though it was very obvious. Also there is a test in the service manual for each position on the indicator so it is pretty easy to diagnose.

Brian

Ok. I just went for a ride and it is working now. I will keep my eye on it and take it to the dealer if it messes up anymore.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline timbo

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
Rode about 20 miles tonight and it seems 1 thru 5 is working ok, but when I go into 6th it either reads 1 or 3?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:12:41 PM »
Yep, mine was hit and miss.  Put up with it for a coupla months and decided to use the warranty.  If it wasnt for KiPASS, wet oil and round tires I woulda hit panic mode ;D

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 10:51:12 PM »
You will definitely need to get that fixed.  The gear position sensor is not just to feed that little display, it also tells the ECU what gear you are in, and that has an effect on the opening of the secondary butterflies.  If it reads 1 or 3 when you are in 6th gear, you could lose some of the low-end grunt you should have.   

Mine always reads OD (really 6th, since it's not really overdrive), but that's because I have a GIPro ATRE installed.  The GIPro shows me the correct gear though, every time. 
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 06:37:47 AM »
No problem with my 09 yet. I'm leaving on a 10 day trip next week so I'll see if it acts up then.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Rawman

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »
redbarber is correct, we have seen a few gear indicator problems, it is a very easy fix and will be covered under your warranty.  Get is fixed asap, as he mentioned, you will be using the wrong part of your A/F map and that is never good.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L