Author Topic: I was told that i was hit by a truck............  (Read 7987 times)

Offline darrell

• Arena
  • Pay No Attention...
Re: I was told that i was hit by a truck............
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 06:09:19 PM »
If it were me, I'd let the dealer fix the bike and let my lawyer pay for my pain and suffering, of which there will be much.  Machines can be repaired, and the dealer should do the best job, in most cases.  When you go to pick it up, just go over it with a FINE TOOTHED COMB.  They might want to take a shortcut.  Looks at every square inch of the bike for road rash that isn't repaired.  Then take it for a ride, only THEN would I accept it.  They will probably argue, but I'd bitch at them telling them I am not accepting the vehicle until I have ridden it up and down the road and make sure it rides as expected.  It's not like they are doing the work out of the kindness of their hearts, it's all business to them.

I was gonna say, let the dealership take care of the bike, and let the hospital and lawer take care of you. 

You can try and argue with the insurance agency to total your bike, or you can talk with the dealership about what all needs replacing on the bike to add up to the total replacement cost.  I'd go with the latter.

-darrell 
It's a tough life, if you don't know how to live it.

Ride West Ride Report

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »
The insurance company MAY write you a check based on what it will cost the dealer to do the work. If that happens, you can then decide what work you want the dealer to skip.

I would have them do most of the work though even if that is the case.

If that is not the case and they are just going to pay the dealer, have them do all the work and inspect and ride it first as Sofa King recommends (I like that).
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline PH14

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 06:33:48 PM »
Glad to hear you're here to tell the story. I hope you heal quickly.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 12:59:20 AM »
I don't know the ins and outs of ensurance paid jobs on bikes in the USA, but in Germany, if somebody does something to your wheeled property, you basically informe his ensurance and take it to the dealer for an inicial quote. If the amount is more than a certain number (I think it's something like 2500 euros/3500 dollars) then the ensurance might want to send their own expert to check. Once the estimate is done, there is never money going to the owner of the bike. It is always between ensurance and dealer, even the communication. And the bike has to be perfect afterwards. Germans are very picky and at the slightest doubt they will just put a new part, and the ensurance will pay for it. I guess it makes sense in a country with so many expensive sports cars, where a motorcycle costs a tiny fraction. A bumper for a 911 costs already half of our bike.  :-\
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Jose C-14

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
I'm glad you're OK. I got T bone by a lady 15 minutes after i bought my 08. I got enough to buy another C-14. get a good lawyer. they take care of everything.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
Glad you're ok... I want to point out one thing, from my experience, just in case it happens to you...

If your employee health insurance is paying for your medical bills from this accident, don't be surprised if they come after any money from a settlement for re-imbursement... and it is legal for them to do it.  If they do, have your attorney negotiate with them... so you keep as much of that money as you can.

Again... glad you are ok!

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
Again: those left-turning cages are trying to kill us all, one by one.   >:(

I'm an insurance professional - fraud investigator in a regional carrier's special investigative unit - so I have some insight into your situation....but so do others who have noted already what you should be thinking about.

If the liable party (the clueless cager in this case) has no insurance, there is nothing to be gained by looking in that direction. Unless he's an eccentric millionaire who doesn't believe in insurance, you aren't getting anything from him.

You bike has collision coverage obviously, and I'd be pushing them to total it, if possible. It'll never be the same again. Generally, if it isn't totaled, the insurance company will simply write you a check for the appraised amount, minus the deductible (waived in this case) and wish you godspeed. If you want it repaired, it's better to have the shop get a signed Direction To Pay to the insurance company, that way if there is additional damages found while under repair, the appraisor will just write up a supplement(s) until the job gets done.

Your injuries are serious, in the relative world of bodily injury claims. Your medical bills are the first order of business, and your own health insurance should cover you there. In Massachusetts there is no PIP (personal injury protection) coverages available for bikers, but folks here usually purchase MedPay, which works like PIP...if you bought it. Anyway, after your medical bills get squared away and you are at or near a medical end result from your various treatments, you would look for pain and suffering compensation, and the only pocket available there would be your Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverages. Most states require this coverage, but the limits vary and depend on how much you purchased with your policy.

You are a long way from this point though. Do not even talk about settling or accepting money from your insurance carrier until you have finished your medical treatments. That could be a year from now.

Good luck!

Offline c14blair

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
met with the insurance rep at the dealership. damage looks cosmetic. it was low speed hit, and lay down. bike does not appear to have tumbled. My Cee Bailey windshield didn't get a scratch, and nether did the handle bar.

I negotiated bike repair, and riding gear replacement.

My attorney will handle everything else.

My doctor say that he wants me to starting putting weight on leg Oct. 1, but i think that is a little optimistic.

thx for the advice and well wishes.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
met with the insurance rep at the dealership. damage looks cosmetic. it was low speed hit, and lay down. bike does not appear to have tumbled. My Cee Bailey windshield didn't get a scratch, and nether did the handle bar.

I negotiated bike repair, and riding gear replacement.

but i never saw it. I woke up on the ground around 25 feet from impact, with the bike another 15 feet or so down the road. I have a broken bone in foot, and possibly some fractures in my ankle. I was at a stoplight, and when light turned green i proceded forward, and then heard a loud bang. It appears vehicle coming from opposite direction turned in to the side of my bike while i was in intersection.

I was transported to hospital and someone rode my bike home for me. In my eyes, the damage looked cosmetic.

c14blair, based on your first post, I would think there would be more damage than what you are saying now. Sounds like you and the bike got lucky. Surprising though that the bike damage is that minor. A guy I work with on his 2009 t-boned a deer at what he said at impact was only about 10-15 MPH, but the bike got totaled and he said there was plastic all over the place from when the bike hit and slid.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline c14blair

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »
it doesn't look that bad, and appears it is mostly cosmetic. the only think broke off is the foot peg. someone rode it home for me. appears the bike is not bent. they sure get a lot for the parts. i think they were around $4200.

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:03 PM »
Hope you come out at least as good as you went in.  BUT, you are very fortunate no matter how this ends.  My brother was also hit by a left turning truck recently, and his funeral service is this Saturday.  Heal quickly!
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »
Hope you come out at least as good as you went in.  BUT, you are very fortunate no matter how this ends.  My brother was also hit by a left turning truck recently, and his funeral service is this Saturday.  Heal quickly!

Redbarber, I'm truly sorry for your loss.  :-\
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline c14blair

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 05:24:14 AM »
Redbarber,

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.

Blair

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »

Red, I'm so sorry for your loss...  Lives can change in an instant.  Always show your love to family and friends as you never know what's going to happen around the corner.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
Red,

I'll add my condolences on the loss of your brother. I'll say a prayer for his family.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »

That is truly awful. My condolences.   :(