Author Topic: loose bolts and screws.  (Read 4591 times)

Offline harryzgnilek

loose bolts and screws.
« on: September 23, 2011, 07:08:11 AM »
Hi all
I noticed that there are many bolts and screws that are a little loose. I keep having to re tighten them once in a while. Mainly the screws that keep the fairings on
Does anyone use loctitie or other means to secure the screws and bolts?

thanks

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: loose bolts and screws.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
Did a search for "loose bolts". Days worth of reading.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:15:59 AM »
Although I haven't found any on my C14 yet, this is typical for the Kawasaki bikes I've owned more-so than any other brand.

And my ZX14 was the WORST, I ended up getting rid of that bike.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline koval68

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
Hi all
I noticed that there are many bolts and screws that are a little loose. I keep having to re tighten them once in a while. Mainly the screws that keep the fairings on
Does anyone use loctitie or other means to secure the screws and bolts?

thanks
Do Not use Loctite on fairing bolts !!! Bad idea !!!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:44:33 PM »
I'm always checking the bolts no matter what for loosness. My fairing ones are always a little loose as well. Just routine maintenance I figure

Offline m919

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 04:30:10 AM »
I agree, do not use loctite on fairing screws.
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
This is actually a neat thread to explore and probably something we need to expand upon for the new owner's amongst us....so:

• Exhaust header nuts
  • Steering stem bolt (the one that sits dead center with a black plastic plug in it)
  • Front Fairing attachment to the front of the frame
  • Front Fender attachment screws
  • Side mirror attachment nuts and bolts
  • Saddle bag bottom centering pucks, screws get loose
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:08:34 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 07:10:43 AM »

I noticed that there are many bolts and screws that are a little loose.

thanks
yes kawasaki is saving some $$ on threadlocker. Its why I wont own another one.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 07:36:49 AM »
yes kawasaki is saving some $$ on threadlocker. Its why I wont own another one.

So you won't own  some threadlocker or you won't own another Kawasaki?  If it's a Kawasaki then you could trade it in on an FJR.  It seems that's what the disappointed Kawi owners buy.  If it's threadlocker, there's multiple brands available.  Take your pick.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:32 AM »
   :rotflmao:    :popcorn:
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Khrome

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
LoL  ;)

I rode an 07 FJR for a couple years only because the 14 wasn't out until I made deal on the FJR and they wanted sticker for the brand new first on the floor 14...

I have always been Kawasaki at heart, I have owned many different bikes, but the Kawi's just do it for me.  If I tried to write a comparison of the two there would be a lot of simularities,  but the bottom line is the 14 is "the one" for me.

As far as loose bolts  ::) Of the 8 Kawasaki's I have owned(that number does not include dirt toys) I have never had any issues other than recalls... But then again I don't expect any bike to be perfect or without character  8)
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »
There ya' go Jim, fixed it up for ya'.

Brian

So you won't own  some threadlocker or you won't own another Kawasaki?  If it's a Kawasaki then you could trade it in on an FJR.  It seems that's what the disappointed Kawi owners buy onwer bought.  If it's threadlocker, there's multiple brands available.  Take your pick.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »
Right...

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »
Trying to figure out if I'm very lucky, oblivious, or if my dealer mechanic just takes really good care of me & my C14. I've only had an issue with one loose screw and unfortunately it fell out. It was one of the small black screws located under the windshield. I did pay for a maintenance plan for the first 3 years & my dealer mechanic has taken great care of me in that respect. I guess it helps that he owns an 08 C14.  :D I have installed all my on Farkels. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.... Life is good.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
I lost one of the screws that went into the little puck the saddle bag centers onto.  Should have checked it periodically, but forgot.

Flathead

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »
I agree, do not use loctite on fairing screws.

Just out of curiosity, why not? There are compounds, such as Loctite 242 that is designed for use on fasteners that require removal, with hand tools, for normal servicing??

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
I lost a header nut, the front fender bolts, the upper fairing middle stay bolts and the front engine mount bolts. When the fender comes loose it gets pulled around by the front tire and stretches the brake lines. This has adverse affect on braking performance. When my upper fairing came loose it didn't fall off but flopped around pretty bad, pulled the headlight connector loose. Strangely, there were no noticeble effects from loosing the front engine mount bolts.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why not? There are compounds, such as Loctite 242 that is designed for use on fasteners that require removal, with hand tools, for normal servicing??
Because many of the fairing screws go into threaded rubber inserts. If the screw is too tight the insert will spin in the fairing instead of the screw unscrewing and you have a problem.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline koval68

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
Because many of the fairing screws go into threaded rubber inserts. If the screw is too tight the insert will spin in the fairing instead of the screw unscrewing and you have a problem.

Also, Loctite will cause the plastic body parts to deteriorate and crack.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »
First of all because you do not need it- the fairing screws attach to a rubber plug with a brass insert inside. When the fastener is tightened, the rubber plug squeezes against the fairing and maintains force against the screw so it cannot loosen. Also those screws are very well isolated from any vibration.

A few folks have used a thread locking agent on fairing screws with disastrous results; I think it was Haroldo who had a bunch of fairing screws that he just could not remove because the screw was locked to the brass insert and that was spinning inside the rubber plug.

I have seen a lot more damage done by using thread locking agents than cause by the lack of them. If fasteners are correctly tightened they are usually not needed. Occasionally there is a sheet metal nut or some other type of really light duty thread retaining device that just will not allow a fastener to be tightened enough but these are not usually found on motorcycles.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com