Author Topic: Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side  (Read 11765 times)

Offline jonathan

Re: Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I park my bike in gear, so when I go to start it I turn on the key, grab the front brake and clutch, shift to neutral and continuing to hold the clutch and brake start the bike. Once it is running I keep holding the brake while slowly releasing the clutch. When you feel it is safe to do so, release the brake and continue gearing up.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 08:50:53 AM »
I have, but I always have the clutch in.  I think it is a leftover from one of my other bikes that would not start unless the clutch was in.  Then I SLOWLY release it.... just in case.

This also the time I leave the kickstand down so the bike shuts off in case it jumps into gear.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.  :)
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
Some people sh!t, shower, and shave.  Some shave, sh!t and shower.  But I have never heard of someone showering, sh!ting, and shaving.  Some things just dont sound right, eh ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:33 AM »
Some people sh!t, shower, and shave.  Some shave, sh!t and shower.  But I have never heard of someone showering, sh!ting, and shaving.  Some things just dont sound right, eh ;)

I shave in the shower, as for the other, that's where I draw the line.    :o 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:31 AM »
Sometimes when my bike is still cold I will go to shift from 1st to neutral (I always leave it in gear when parked) the gear indicator will go blank.  All I do is rock the bike a bit and try neutral again.  Just an annoyance that I have learned to live with.

I get the same thing on mine as well.... generally it just takes it a second or two for it to register it seems as I have tried slowly releasing the clutch and its always in neutral.... so far!  8)

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:47 AM »
If you want to start your C14 with you off the bike, just put it on the CENTER stand and then it doesn't matter if it is in gear -- the rear wheel is off the ground.....Hello?
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
I had a 1986 Ninja 600, my first street bike. It was probably five years old at the time. I was in a Safeway parking lot getting ready to go inside or whatever. Key was in the ignition, bike was in gear, probably because we were on a slope. As I sat waiting wth my hands on the handlebars, I accidentally bumped the starter button. Unfortunately the gear safety was disabled by the PO. The bike lurched forward, and pulled my right shoulder righth out of the socket. I think I might have rode the bike to my brothers house, but maybe not. Took THREE HOURS from dislocation, to my shot of Vicodin or whatever it was at the time. What a painful three hours, but the stupid ER insisted on an x-ray before they would give me meds.

I was about 19 at the time.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
I shave in the shower, as for the other, that's where I draw the line.    :o

:rotflmao:

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
i just make sure its not in gear.  same difference.

If you want to start your C14 with you off the bike, just put it on the CENTER stand and then it doesn't matter if it is in gear -- the rear wheel is off the ground.....Hello?
Will

Offline roadie

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
haha!!! The worst is when your sh$t doesn't announce itself until five minutes after you shower.

Will

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »

Several of you are ignoring the fact that all bikes today have a starter lockout that does not allow the bike to be started when the side stand is down and the bike is in gear.  Yeah, I realize that there are people who plan for everything that could ever not work as it should on a bike.  But the reality is that you cannot blame the operator if a safety feature on the bike fails - you have to blame the bike for malfunctioning.  I could turn your response around and ask what would happen if the centerstand broke as you started the bike and it fell over as a result of the centerstand failing.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
haha!!! The worst is when your sh$t doesn't announce itself until five minutes after you shower.

And that sir, is why God gave us baby wipes.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »

Nope, half way to work is far worse than that.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadie

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
I don't leave home without them.

Will

Offline koval68

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
I don't leave home without them.
Yup!I always have some in my tank bag! :thumbs:
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 02:41:08 PM »
OFFTOPIC:

I heard a story one time that wet wipes are virtually indistinguishable from Clorox wipes in a dim bathroom. Unfortunately it seems that indistinguishable does not mean the same thing as interchangeable. Fortunately I did not get to see the results but I understand that like a great concert, mixing those two up will keep you on your feet for a while....   :o  I wonder how the wet wipes clean up the counter after a spill?

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
I suppose I could sidetrack this thread and state that's it not really necessary to "warm up" your bike unless you're going to drag race it right away.  But I wouldn't do that.   ;D

Actually, seems relevant to the thread if you ask me.  I will bite...

I was always taught that it is "better" for an internal combustion engine to have been running a bit before any load is placed on it.  This gives time for oil to saturate all the moving parts and things to be more thermally "ready" for use.   I am not sure if this is a big deal or not, especially with modern engines, but it seems to have face validity.

Other reasons might include wanting your GPS to finish booting, warming clothes/bars/seats or other devices that should not really be on unless the engine is running (lest you drain your battery), helping the battery to recover from the start (you are at more risk of it cutting off and having to restart it when you start to use it), checking headlight, better driveability when warm.  I am sure there are other valid reasons.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »
It takes me awhile to put in my ear plugs.....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
Actually, seems relevant to the thread if you ask me.  I will bite...

I was always taught that it is "better" for an internal combustion engine to have been running a bit before any load is placed on it.  This gives time for oil to saturate all the moving parts and things to be more thermally "ready" for use.   I am not sure if this is a big deal or not, especially with modern engines, but it seems to have face validity.

Other reasons might include wanting your GPS to finish booting, warming clothes/bars/seats or other devices that should not really be on unless the engine is running (lest you drain your battery), helping the battery to recover from the start (you are at more risk of it cutting off and having to restart it when you start to use it), checking headlight, better driveability when warm.  I am sure there are other valid reasons.

I'll have to search for it, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the 2011 Owners Manual there is a paragraph that recommends letting the engine idle for a brief period of time before riding off, to allow the oil to warm up and coat the internal surfaces.

Flathead

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
I'll have to search for it, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the 2011 Owners Manual there is a paragraph that recommends letting the engine idle for a brief period of time before riding off, to allow the oil to warm up and coat the internal surfaces.

Page 135 of the 2010 manual...

Do not start moving or race the engine immediately after starting it, even if the
engine is already warm. Run the engine for two or three minutes at idle speed to
give the oil a chance to work up into all the engine parts.