Author Topic: Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side  (Read 11759 times)

Offline Khrome

Re: Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »
I don't leave home without them.

Absolutely  :chugbeer:
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
Sometimes when my bike is still cold I will go to shift from 1st to neutral (I always leave it in gear when parked) the gear indicator will go blank.  All I do is rock the bike a bit and try neutral again.  Just an annoyance that I have learned to live with.

Very Sometimes, and sometimes while riding.. X 2

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:39 AM »
That **** hurts. Been there done that.

OFFTOPIC:

I heard a story one time that wet wipes are virtually indistinguishable from Clorox wipes in a dim bathroom. Unfortunately it seems that indistinguishable does not mean the same thing as interchangeable. Fortunately I did not get to see the results but I understand that like a great concert, mixing those two up will keep you on your feet for a while....   :o  I wonder how the wet wipes clean up the counter after a spill?

Brian

Will

Offline roadie

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 03:04:05 AM »
Bike will start with kick stand down, in first gear, if you disengage clutch and then punch the starter.  Not that we make a habit of doing that. Just saying. 

Several of you are ignoring the fact that all bikes today have a starter lockout that does not allow the bike to be started when the side stand is down and the bike is in gear.  Yeah, I realize that there are people who plan for everything that could ever not work as it should on a bike.  But the reality is that you cannot blame the operator if a safety feature on the bike fails - you have to blame the bike for malfunctioning.  I could turn your response around and ask what would happen if the centerstand broke as you started the bike and it fell over as a result of the centerstand failing.
Will

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 06:45:18 AM »
Bike will start with kick stand down, in first gear, if you disengage clutch and then punch the starter.  Not that we make a habit of doing that. Just saying. 

I don't think that's true.  It will start in 1st with the clutch pulled in as long as the side stand is UP.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline roadie

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 06:48:31 AM »
Now u got me doubting myself. Think ur right.
Will

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 06:54:34 AM »
Now u got me doubting myself. Think ur right.

I only know because I've lost count of the times I've left the bike in 1st while filling it with gas.  I finish filling, pull in the clutch, turn on the ignition and for 2 seconds I can't figure out why it won't start until I realize the side stand is down.  Lol
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »
We have some great bikes if this topic warranted 4 pages
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 07:23:26 AM »

Mine won't.  I didn't think that was right, so I just went out an tried it - won't start.  Neither will my Goldwing.  My Goldwing happened to be up on the centerstand so I tried that - it will start when on the centerstand.  But as soon as I put the side stand down it would not start in gear regardless of whether the clutch was pulled in or not.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »
something bad wrong with your bike. My bikes starts no prob in 1st with kickstand down and clutch in.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »
Do not start moving or race the engine immediately after starting it, even if the
engine is already warm. Run the engine for two or three minutes at idle speed to
give the oil a chance to work up into all the engine parts.

Just to be clear, I stated "as long as you're not going to drag race it right away".  I do start the bike and let it run while I put on my gloves, sunglasses, turn on radar detector, etc.  But if you've had your bike for any length of time, the internal parts are already coated with oil.  The oil pump returns oil to every area almost immediately.  As long as there's oil, no problem.  If you ride off at a moderate pace nothing bad will ever happen to your bike.  If you red line it on the way out of the parking lot, all bets are off.  The internal fits on engines these days are very precise.  There is a certain amount of warm up when everything cozies up to each other the way it's supposed to do, but at moderate loads and speeds, no problem. 

I never start the bike without being on it, unless it's after an oil change or something when the bike is on the center stand. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »

No, it will not. At least mine won't.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »
something bad wrong with your bike. My bikes starts no prob in 1st with kickstand down and clutch in.

Actually, I think that the problem must be with your bike Steve.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2011, 08:38:54 AM »
Kickstand down, clutch in, neutral.........bike starts.  Kickstand down, clutch in, 1st....bike won't start.  I just tried it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
Kickstand down, clutch in, neutral.........bike starts.  Kickstand down, clutch in, 1st....bike won't start.  I just tried it.
Added note, the red warning light also comes on while depressing the starter button.  I even tried it with the clutch out :o  Wouldnt start, must be a faulty KiPASS on Steves bike :P

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 01:18:02 PM »
Its not the problem with Steve's bike, Steve is an airhead and answered wrong. See what happens when I go a few days without the KiPass in my pocket!?

Apologies for my response above.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »
Its not the problem with Steve's bike, Steve is an airhead and answered wrong. See what happens when I go a few days without the KiPass in my pocket!?

This is the internet, you, kind sir, are not allowed to apologize, you are required to beat the dead horse, even after the buzzards have arrived.  Recant sinner!!!  Dern kids anyway, always screwing things up :-*

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »

Offline m919

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2011, 02:16:37 AM »
I would also say I always start while I am on the bike with the clutch pulled in.
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
I always start my bikes when not on them, gives them a chance to warm up while I put on my lid and gloves...

Same here.