Author Topic: C14 vs. 2,012,981 Florida "%$#^ bugs"  (Read 9894 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
C14 vs. 2,012,981 Florida "%$#^ bugs"
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »
The C14 won  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ronski

Re: C14 vs. 2,012,981 Florida "%$#^ bugs"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:37:32 PM »
I'm not sure what's worse... the cleaning which seems to take days or the smell inside your helmet as you are driving thru the swarms of lovebugs....

No trips for me during the lovebug seasons...... it's the only time of the year I will not ride (other than going back and forth to work)
sadly bikeless..... but I'm working on that!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »
The cleaning takes a few seconds, lay a wet warm towel on them ahead of cleaning and they come right off. The sweet Cee baily's Ultra Tour i had all the way up, and helmet and didn't personally hit any.

1st time ever had the sweet ultra tour windshield was sky high while riding  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ronski

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
Seconds my @ss....

I've lived here in Florida all my life and know what a pain lovebugs are!!

After riding thru the season on both the Connie and my Goldwing, I damn near disassembled both of them to get every last greasy, splattered, bug carcass off. I had lovebug goo up inside the air intakes, clogging the radiator, smeared into the switch assemblies on the handlebars, front brake calipers--even splats across the INSIDE of the windshield.

I buy peroxide by the quart bottle if I have to be out...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:12:34 PM »
Seconds my @ss....

I've lived here in Florida all my life and know what a pain lovebugs are!!

After riding thru the season on both the Connie and my Goldwing, I damn near disassembled both of them to get every last greasy, splattered, bug carcass off. I had lovebug goo up inside the air intakes, clogging the radiator, smeared into the switch assemblies on the handlebars, front brake calipers--even splats across the INSIDE of the windshield.

I buy peroxide by the quart bottle if I have to be out...

Warm water on the towel for a few minutes, they start sliding down as soon as i pull the towel off............

For the plastics, spray a dash of pledge and wipe it on before you leave, then warm water they fall right off. 

Perhaps I should make a youtube training video when i go clean it tonight? I live in FL and have it down to a science 

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »
WISH I had pics of ride the ribbon over labor day in Oregon . The FS Rd 16 was ButterflyBlvd. I mean like 2 billion of them. It was like snow.
When we got home it took a while to clean :o :o :o them. Butterflys are better tha FLA. "%#^ bugs for sure ;D
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:17:06 PM »
WISH I had pics of ride the ribbon over labor day in Oregon . The FS Rd 16 was ButterflyBlvd. I mean like 2 billion of them. It was like snow.
When we got home it took a while to clean :o :o :o them. Butterflys are better tha FLA. "%#^ bugs for sure ;D

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »
Steve, where did you hit them? 

Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »
 :yikes: ... Nasty.

What did your helmet and jacket look like??  :hitfan:

Offline ronski

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »
didn't you know? the kipass keeps the lovebug splats isolated to the windshield!!!  ::)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »

As I mentioned above the cee baily's Ultra was all the way UP and I ducked right in under it. I also put my left sleeve on the tank for long periods, the right sleeve had a couple of bugs but not bad  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »
didn't you know? the kipass keeps the lovebug splats isolated to the windshield!!!  ::)

But my FOB had a dead battery

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:51:49 AM »
Steve, where did you hit them?

The were not in Tampa nor Miami but mid state in the rural areas

Offline jasonc32amg

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »
Heck I got a good coating on the turnpike from Fort Pierce to Pompano the other day...but the weather was perfect and the connie was running very strong  8)

Offline Ga. Cycle Rider

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
Another good thing to pre-coat the front end with is a non stick cooking spray like Pam. Might not be the most attractive solution for the windshield but it works. Also that bug juice will ruin your paint and etch the plastic if left on long.

I learned the pam trick from some folks down in baton Rouge La. Now those folks know about love bugs.

As far as knowing that they will eat the sh*t out of your paint, I see it all the time. I am a wholesale car dealer and have looked at hundreds of thousands of vehicles at car auctions over the last twenty years. When the bumpers and hoods are screwed up by the bug juice you almost always have to paint them. The stuff after a while will not come off.

If I was traveling in areas that had the lovebugs the pam would go along for the ride. Hey its also works on cars of course.
Riding big bore in line fours and v-4 hondas and such since 1976. Lost count of the miles, but it is more than 500 thousand. Currently in the garage...1999 vfr800, keeper forever. 2006 klr 650, forest road thrasher, 2011 C-14 ICBM.

Offline ronski

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
you are correct--nasty stuff! Pam accidentially applied to close to the pipes gives me the munchies tho...  ;D
Plexus is another good alternative for pre-treatment and also for cleaning.

The hood of my truck was all etched up  after 10 years of lovebug swarms...

Another good thing to pre-coat the front end with is a non stick cooking spray like Pam. Might not be the most attractive solution for the windshield but it works. Also that bug juice will ruin your paint and etch the plastic if left on long.

I learned the pam trick from some folks down in baton Rouge La. Now those folks know about love bugs.

As far as knowing that they will eat the sh*t out of your paint, I see it all the time. I am a wholesale car dealer and have looked at hundreds of thousands of vehicles at car auctions over the last twenty years. When the bumpers and hoods are screwed up by the bug juice you almost always have to paint them. The stuff after a while will not come off.

If I was traveling in areas that had the lovebugs the pam would go along for the ride. Hey its also works on cars of course.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
you are correct--nasty stuff! Pam accidentially applied to close to the pipes gives me the munchies tho...  ;D
Plexus is another good alternative for pre-treatment and also for cleaning.

The hood of my truck was all etched up  after 10 years of lovebug swarms...

Yes sir, Plexus is the reason my Ultra Tour shield looks brand new after 41,000 miles

Offline Beamer

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 06:43:03 PM »
I hit a few bugs on a trip across Wisconsin a couple of summers ago on my Street Glide

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
The were not in Tampa nor Miami but mid state in the rural areas

Thanks Steve.  That was kind of what I was thinking.

I ran up to ST Pete today and only hit a few in 300 miles.

Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »
I hit a few bugs on a trip across Wisconsin a couple of summers ago on my Street Glide

Nice!