Author Topic: New Bike Dealer prep.... What should I have expected?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline dean77

New Bike Dealer prep.... What should I have expected?
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
Picked up my new silver 11 Concours yesterday. Love the bike so far!

I remember reading somewhere that a new bike will have 7 or 8 miles on it as the dealer is required to do a prep which includes a road test. Well I pick up my bike yesterday and I notice the mileage is zero. I also found with my owners manual and paper work a document tiltled "Kawasaki Assembly and Preparation check list" Nothing is checked actually the entire sheet has nothing filled out.  Anyone who has bought a bike recently what did you get? What should I expect?

Lastly I am following the breakin as described in the owners manual. Just confused on when the first oil change should be?

Thanks all!
Dean
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver!

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
Re: New Bike Dealer prep.... What should I have expected?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:05:41 PM »
I would change the oil at 5-6 hundred the first time
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
I would ask the dealer point blank what they did to set it up......sounds like nothing to me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
Ever new bike I have ever bought including my 09 when it was new had about .5 miles on them. All they do is put together what ever is left off from shipping and run it a little, When I take delivery they go over all the gadgets but i doubt if any had a road test. I know on the gold wing they have a cpating  on the brake discs and some times that isn't even wiped off.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline darrell

• Arena
  • Pay No Attention...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »
Mine had 0 miles on it as well.  Besides riding the bike out to where I picked it up, I imagine it was never ridden before.

I saw there was oil in it, the tires were inflated to the proper PSI (according to the TPS), and the tank was full of gas.  I took them at their word that it was set up right. 

I performed the first service at 550 miles.

-darrell
It's a tough life, if you don't know how to live it.

Ride West Ride Report

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »
Do note that the manual says to let the bike idle for 30 secs before driving after starting, during the first 500 miles.
My dealer said it was very important to change the oil at the 500 mile mark. They knew I was driving it home from their shop ( 1200 mile drive) and told me to change it out on the side of the road whatever.They said with kawa bikes that had oil changes done in the shop at 500 miles, they saw all kinds of crap come out. The primary concern is oil filter clogging with new engine debris.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 04:58:22 AM »
I actually changed mine at 200 miles because I was going on a long trip.  Changed it again at 1800 miles.  Change the rear drive oil as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 05:08:17 AM »
Picked up my new silver 11 Concours yesterday. Love the bike so far!

I remember reading somewhere that a new bike will have 7 or 8 miles on it as the dealer is required to do a prep which includes a road test. Well I pick up my bike yesterday and I notice the mileage is zero. I also found with my owners manual and paper work a document tiltled "Kawasaki Assembly and Preparation check list" Nothing is checked actually the entire sheet has nothing filled out.  Anyone who has bought a bike recently what did you get? What should I expect?

Lastly I am following the breakin as described in the owners manual. Just confused on when the first oil change should be?

Thanks all!

My bike was the same way yours was. Zero miles and I also had that same document that was not filled out. Everything on my bike seemed to be set up correctly except for the headlight aim and the battery was installed backwards.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Beamer

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 05:37:50 AM »
I just picked up my 09' (new) last Friday at the dealer and they had checked everything on the check-list (which means they checked the list lol), and actually took it for a ride (had 13 miles on it).

Best part is that when I opened up the glove box, the whole thing made a big POP when it opened because the tabs that connect the lid to the hinge had broke, and the "pop" was the sound of the super-glue breaking that they used to glue it together with. I can see things happening, but to super glue it and expect someone not to know? Come on! The whole inside of the glove box, and the fobs had turned white from the super glue fumes.

They didn't have the parts, so they put 5 minute epoxy on it and ordered the parts to fix it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 05:58:48 AM »
What Conrad said...   Additionally, the positive side of the battery should be the terminal facing you when you take the cover off.  Do check your vertical headlight aim as it appears most bikes had this wrong or never done from the factory.  Do check your right hand mirror for correct fitment.  Sometimes the dealer does not fit the mirror into the indents correctly and if tightened that way can crack the fairing.  Check your middle stem nut on the upper triple tree.  It should have the black plastic plug and should be tightened to 79 ft/lbs.  In fact, you should check every bolt/screw you can get to for tightness.  Don't depend on the dealer to do this.  If you are riding in the rain, you might see the high beam indicator come on.  If so, you'll need to slather some dielectric grease on the solder blobs of the Flash to Pass switch inside the housing.  Check your battery connections at least every oil change for tightness.  They have a tendency to work loose.  That's all I can think of at the moment.  Oh, the plastic rear carrier is not much good except for carrying a sandwich.  Make sure you have both recalls on the bag latches and rear brake cover done.

Offline dean77

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 06:11:35 AM »
Thanks all for the input! It is much appreciated!
Dean
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 06:52:05 AM »
Do you really expect anything from a stealership!?  Just sayn'.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 07:01:28 AM »
Double check yourself any work that you do not personally perform. Torque settings, fasteners...whatever they touched touch again to ensure its right.

Learining to do your oun work pays you back in many, many ways.

I'm just sayin'.....

Offline Shoe

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 08:08:23 AM »
The salesman called me when the bike came in and asked if I wanted to see the bike in the crate. Which I did. The next day when I picked it up there were no miles on the bike. I had a cup of coffee while the mechanic did the road test. Then we went over the check list and the salesman demonstrated everything including how to put the bike on the centerstand. Which I was able to do before I rode off. The bike had 0.5 miles when I rode off.

Before I bought the bike I had been reading the forum posts about delivery problems so I clued in the salesman before they assembled the bike and he relayed the info to the person assembling the bike so I think this helped.

Enjoy your new ride. And welcome.  ;D 
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline curly

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »
My bike had several miles on it and the dealer  went over the assembly checklist and had me sign stating that he had reviewed it with me. It at least gives you some peace of mind.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »
I just picked up my 09' (new) last Friday at the dealer and they had checked everything on the check-list (which means they checked the list lol), and actually took it for a ride (had 13 miles on it).

Best part is that when I opened up the glove box, the whole thing made a big POP when it opened because the tabs that connect the lid to the hinge had broke, and the "pop" was the sound of the super-glue breaking that they used to glue it together with. I can see things happening, but to super glue it and expect someone not to know? Come on! The whole inside of the glove box, and the fobs had turned white from the super glue fumes.

They didn't have the parts, so they put 5 minute epoxy on it and ordered the parts to fix it.

Wow...   

You have white fobs? What did they say about that? I have to wonder what would have happened to the parts they 'ordered' if the superglue had held?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline booger

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »
First oil change at 100-150 miles.

You will be amazed at the quantity of the metal shavings.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »
my new 2010 had 8 miles on it when I took delivery, and everything was tight and installed correctly...I guess I got lucky, or cought the dealer on a slow day when they had nothing better to do than do a proper prep job on my bike.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »
my new 2010 had 8 miles on it when I took delivery, and everything was tight and installed correctly...I guess I got lucky, or cought the dealer on a slow day when they had nothing better to do than do a proper prep job on my bike.

+1... no complaints here on my 09 ABS new leftover when I picked it up last fall, all was and is still good!  :thumbs:

valkmc

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »
My 09  had 2 miles on it and the checklist was completed. They knew I was riding it 100 miles home and it had been setting on the showroom floor  for just undwer a month (knew this as the checklist was dated). They took it back to the garage and checked the oil and TP, as well as letting it run for a few minutes. I changed my oil at 500miles and again at 2000, now I follow the recommended distance.