Author Topic: Key fob  (Read 14392 times)

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
Key fob
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:30:18 AM »
I had a key fob fall out of my pocket while riding my 09 C14. It was then run over by several cars, the fob that is. I managed to find the key that was in it but all the plastic and electronics were destroyed. Some one here wrecked their bike (an 08) & wants to sell me one of their no longer useful fobs still in the original packaging for about half the price of a new fob. Although the key would be useless I should be able to have my ECU reprogrammed to accept this fob. Is this correct? All I need are the FOB ID number from the original packaging, right? From all the previous posts I've read this seems right to me but any additional words of wisdom would be appreciated. ???
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Conrad

Re: Key fob
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
You are correct, if you have the numbers from the fob the ECU can be programed to recognize it. You could also get a credit card type fob for about $35 and do the same thing. The only difference, other than size, is that the CC fob will have to be placed on the key housing on the bike in order to start the bike.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:46:49 AM »
You are correct, if you have the numbers from the fob the ECU can be programed to recognize it. You could also get a credit card type fob for about $35 and do the same thing. The only difference, other than size, is that the CC fob will have to be placed on the key housing on the bike in order to start the bike.
What he said. Plus, I have an extra pair of credit card fobs I bought, in case you'd also like to get a spare. New, not used, still in the bag.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:13:21 AM »
What he said. Plus, I have an extra pair of credit card fobs I bought, in case you'd also like to get a spare. New, not used, still in the bag.
Already have a credit card fob & a key blank ordered but thanks any way.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
So the credit card fob will work for an 09?  ???

Hmmm... that might be worth getting if so just for a back up. Is it really the size of a credit card and easily fits in your wallet?

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
So the credit card fob will work for an 09?  ???

Hmmm... that might be worth getting if so just for a back up. Is it really the size of a credit card and easily fits in your wallet?
According to this thread http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=471.msg4507#msg4507 they will work. I'm looking to have an extra one to keep with me on long trips JIC. Never worried about it or thought I'd need an extra till this one jumped out of my pocket.  :o
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »
So is it literally the size of a credit card (including thickness), or is that just what they call them?  ???

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »
So is it literally the size of a credit card (including thickness), or is that just what they call them?  ???

No it is much thicker then a credit card but much thinner then a full on fob. In fact the small fob still contains another hard key.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
No it is much thicker then a credit card but much thinner then a full on fob. In fact the small fob still contains another hard key.

Can somebody post up a pic of one for us 08/09 old-school 1st gen guys that have never seen em' like me??  ???

Thanks!

Offline Hang2er

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »
Here is mine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »
The beauty of the small fob is that you can have it in your luggage or hidden on the bike somewhere without it enabling KIPASS. Mine is permanently hidden on my bike such that if I lose my fob I can use it to get home, buy another fob and be able to program the ECU (you need at least one authorized fob to program the ECU).

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
The beauty of the small fob is that you can have it in your luggage or hidden on the bike somewhere without it enabling KIPASS. Mine is permanently hidden on my bike such that if I lose my fob I can use it to get home, buy another fob and be able to program the ECU (you need at least one authorized fob to program the ECU).

This is exactly why I'm getting one of each. As well a a key blank for each. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me... :yikes:
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »
Yeah, and 'paranoia is just good thinkin' when everyone is looking at ya' .'

Brian

This is exactly why I'm getting one of each. As well a a key blank for each. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me... :yikes:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
Here is mine

Thanks H2, much appreciated!

Looks to be about the size of a blackberry battery, defiantly too big for in a wallet...

(unless you're George Costanza  ;) )

George's Exploding Wallet

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »

Exactly.  Since I have a regular key cut by a locksmith, on my person, I can put the credit card (stupid name- it is NOTHING like a credit card, it is 20 times thicker, and much narrower and shorter, better name is "passive fob") fob under the seat somewhere.  So it is still locked away AND hidden.  But if I lose the main active fob, I still have a regular key (on the ring with the helmet lock key and seat pod key) and can remove the seat to get to the passive fob.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
Jay, here's a closer picture of the 2010 CC fob, though it doesn't quite show the thickness.  The other fob is for my Coocase, as is the red spare key.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »
Jay, here's a closer picture of the 2010 CC fob, though it doesn't quite show the thickness.  The other fob is for my Coocase, as is the red spare key.

Thanks brutha! I usually have my trunk with me anyways, so that's actually a pretty good idea with the key chain.

Is there any difference in functionality or battery life between the cc fob and the regular fob?? Or can you just use the cc as your "main" fob?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »

Thanks brutha! I usually have my trunk with me anyways, so that's actually a pretty good idea with the key chain.

Is there any difference in functionality or battery life between the cc fob and the regular fob?? Or can you just use the cc as your "main" fob?

Me too.  My trunk has all my junk in it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
Me too.  My trunk has all my junk in it.

Jim has junk in the trunk eh'....

No comment. :-X 

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »

The CC fob is RFID only.  It will only work if you put it against the key switch housing, in the right place and orientation.  Same thing you can do with your current fob if the battery is dead.

It's more like a back up emergency fob, that costs much less, takes up less space, and can be hidden on the bike like a "hide-a-key" in days of old, or stashed away in a safe.

Since you must have a currently working fob (RFID or active RF),  to add a new fob to the KIPASS ECU, the CC fob is a good back up option.  Without one, your KIPASS is dead, and you must buy a new KIPASS ECU.  Also, there are only 6 one time programmable 'slots' in the KIPASS ECU, so once you have used them all up, and lost those fobs, the KIPASS ECU is junk.

I'm sure  Cap'n Bob will be along shortly to point out how horrible and unnecessary all this technology is.  ;)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250