Author Topic: Starter motor turns. No fire. Any suggestions? How does this turn out?  (Read 11440 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Let me start off by saying "YIKES". This post went a lot further wrong than I had thought it might. Now I know the Master Baiter reference was a bit much, perhaps something in the 'R' group while I try to stay in the 'PG' group or even a bit cleaner than that. And I know some people live in a 'G' world and find PG to be offensive. So.... I apologize for the 'baiter' statement aimed at Clyde as it offended him. Now what I am apologizing for is offending you Clyde, not actually using those words as I found them funny as..... well, heck. But I also know that some others are less tolerant of colorful language and it really isn't anyone's job to offend others even if it is because their sensibilities are a little different than mine are. So I apologize for pushing the idea on you and retract those offensive words.

It seems others thought I was offended by what had happened previously and was lashing out at Bob and Clyde. Not so, I was being 10% sarcastic and 140% humourous. As a friend of mine once said as I was shutting off his kill switch while we were stopped at a stoplight. He understood immediately, looked at me and said 'I know, you slay you.' And that was absolutely true- I am having a good time all by myself and others are welcome to enjoy my razor sharp wit although the prime purpose is to amuse myself first.

This whole thread was started with humor as its intent. Of course the Clyde reference about being a "good" baiter was a bit over the top but again, I thought it was hilariousl Referring to the other guy as KiPassZilla also struck me as comical. OK, maybe not so much although it still makes me smile.

I started a new thread because I wanted to know the answer and the other thread was destroyed by KiPaZilla (like Godzilla but not as refined) and his friend baiting him with ('here kitty, kitty' fame).

So to marku8a, does the bike run now? Did you get to the bottom of the problem (as opposed to the problem of the bottom)? Inquiring minds want to know!

And if Jim finds this whole thread offensive, at least I am in before the lock....

:-\

I guess Jim didn't find anything offensive though. ???

And I really do want to know how the original poster's problem works out.

Brian <take 2>, heavily modified this post after receiving serious concerns from some of those involved.

Brian
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:39:44 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
No one likes a smart***, Brian.  However, in your case, I'll make an exception.  Perfectly fine to do what you're doing.  I sent a PM to him to let us know what happened and in which case I would unlock it.  However, this works just as well.  Thanks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

Well, I'd really like to know what caused his problem. I mean the humor is good and all but I have a vested interest in the operation of a C-14 and like to know as much as is possible about the vehicle so I know what part(s) to kick when I am stuck on the side of the road at night.... in the rain.

One thing the Feejer folks have going for them is an excellent base of knowledge about that bike and its quirks. We were on our way to having the same thing but the database (the old forum) took a big hit this last spring. So I really do want to know what causes any mishaps with the bike as well as any weak spots it may have.

I think the C-14 is a very capable platform and has had a very good to excellent track record in the four years it has been in the marketplace. A solid bank of knowledge would go a long way to supporting the bike in the future.

Brian

No one likes a smart***, Brian.  However, in your case, I'll make an exception.  Perfectly fine to do what you're doing.  I sent a PM to him to let us know what happened and in which case I would unlock it.  However, this works just as well.  Thanks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Makz58

Not trying to **** in anyones cornflakes here Brian but not knowing your relationship with CB as an outsider looking in reading both your posts and his it seems there is a certain animosity between you and CB regardless of thread subject...I know probably none of my business but both of you post good info... so I would hate it if either of you left...
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline B.D.F.

Not sure why you would think either of us is leaving but Cap'n Bob is a friend of mine 'in the flesh' as it were- we know each other and see each other quite a few times a year. In fact it was me that gave him that name (I named him after Cap'n Queeg; they are both a little 'off'). We really do differ on the <k-word> but it is not a personal rivalry.

I can understand how onlookers would get that impression but trust me, we actually socialize. With our respective families in fact; I know Mrs. Cap'n Bob and junior miss Cap'n Bob and they are all fine people.  In fact Mrs. Cap’n Bob seems to have swayed Mrs. BDF into attending the fall COG rally; we didn't plan on going but I think we are going to attend now. Poke around and you will find pictures of us together- I am the one holding my fob while Cap’n Bob is ‘as fob free as a boy can be’.

Brian

Not trying to **** in anyones cornflakes here Brian but not knowing your relationship with CB as an outsider looking in reading both your posts and his it seems there is a certain animosity between you and CB regardless of thread subject...I know probably none of my business but both of you post good info... so I would hate it if either of you left...

Offline Makz58

All is good...
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline ZG

• Arena
Like sands through the hour glass...  :popcorn:    :'(

:grouphug:     ;)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Now that everyone has kissed and made up, or whatever . . . we still don't know why the OP's bike refused to start and what the fix is/was?

Where is he?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
He's around.  Not fixed yet.  He knows where to post when he finds out what was wrong with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
Yeah, I didn't think it was all that funny either.

Kirby

Let me start off by saying "YIKES". This post went a lot further wrong than I had thought it might.

<snip>

Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline marku8a

It's Mark, the Original Poster (OP) of "...no fire...". Looks like I missed out on some excitement!

Work has me very busy and I will not be able to get to the bike until next week. It's going to the dealer for repair. I will let you know the problem and fix is when I find out.

Now behave yourselves!

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline roland

b.d.f.
Tis true that some people are thin skinned and cant take a little humor.... Some of us are sharp witted and it comes off as being a smart butt.
I left the other forum because of lack of follow up from some that thought they were more higher up than everyone else.
 :yikes:
I see at least one of them is here but maybe he will behave better now.  Thank God there is this forum to go with a much friendlier croud.

Let's keep the connies rolling  :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

Yeah, now that I think about it, this whole thing is really your fault.   ::)

Best of luck at the dealer.

Brian

It's Mark, the Original Poster (OP) of "...no fire...". Looks like I missed out on some excitement!

Work has me very busy and I will not be able to get to the bike until next week. It's going to the dealer for repair. I will let you know the problem and fix is when I find out.

Now behave yourselves!

Mark

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
...Poke around and you will find pictures of us together- I am the one holding my fob while Cap’n Bob is ‘as fob free as a boy can be’.

Brian

:o
Brian, shame on you. Holding your FOB in public and taking pictures... tsk, tsk, tsk...  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Brian, shame on you. Holding your FOB in public and taking pictures... tsk, tsk, tsk...  ;D

Yeah, but it's small and easy to miss . . . but you never, never, never want to lose it!

Offline B.D.F.

Gee Mom, everybody else was doing it too.....   :-[

;D

Brian

Offline marku8a

Went to the dealer today. Initial diagnosis is a bad fuel pump. I guess I wasn’t listening for the right noise.

I added the RV/motorcycle option to my AAA. The flatbed was at my driveway 20 minutes after calling. With the bike on the truck we were looking at the best way to tie it down. Then it hit me that I had the right gadget in my garage all along. I used it to trailer my sportbike but haven't used it in quite awhile. It’s a product from a company called Canyon Dancer. The link…

http://www.canyondancer.com/Products.aspx

This really did the trick. With this and a couple of normal tiedowns the bike is very secure.

Back to you when I get the bike back.
2009 C14 Red

Offline B.D.F.

Well if it is a bad fuel pump that is not so bad- they are fairly easy and quick to change. I assume the bike is still under warranty....?

Thanks for letting us know how this is going. Best of luck getting the bike squared away and back on the road.

As an aside, you might catch some flak for mentioning Canyon Dancer and C-14 in the same sentence. There has been talk around the old forum that the bars on a C-14 are not strong enough to use a Canyon Dancer. The one time I had my C-14 towed (overloaded and popped a main fuse- my fault) the flatbed driver tied the bike down with a Canyon Dancer because that was all the choices he had to anchor a bike in the truck. He pulled down on the front end hard enough to collapse the suspension about 1/2 way and the handlebars (handlebar stanchions actually) survived the tow as well as a bunch of riding miles since. I really don't know if stressing the bars on a C-14 like that is a bad idea or not, just saying that it is 'bad juju' around some forums.... like removing the ignition key (removing the key is fine, talking about removing the key is bad in some circles though).

Brian

Went to the dealer today. Initial diagnosis is a bad fuel pump. I guess I wasn’t listening for the right noise.

I added the RV/motorcycle option to my AAA. The flatbed was at my driveway 20 minutes after calling. With the bike on the truck we were looking at the best way to tie it down. Then it hit me that I had the right gadget in my garage all along. I used it to trailer my sportbike but haven't used it in quite awhile. It’s a product from a company called Canyon Dancer. The link…

http://www.canyondancer.com/Products.aspx

This really did the trick. With this and a couple of normal tiedowns the bike is very secure.

Back to you when I get the bike back.

Offline marku8a

I assume the bike is still under warranty....?

As an aside, you might catch some flak for mentioning Canyon Dancer and C-14 in the same sentence. There has been talk around the old forum that the bars on a C-14 are not strong enough to use a Canyon Dancer.
Brian

Yep, still under warranty. I bought it new in April.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Canyon Dancer. I had no idea. The tow driver cinched it up very tight, collapsing the forks to within 1/4 of the ziptie that I installed to measure maximum travel (and sag). It survived the 12 mile trip to the shop. Mostly freeway but some bumpy roads. Did I get lucky?

Mark
2009 C14 Red

Offline B.D.F.

I was actually poking a bit of fun at the possibility of a 'forum uprising' rather than pointing out a real problem. I really do not know if a Canyon Dancer is a problem on bikes with cast aluminum handlebars like the C-14 but I kind of doubt it. The big difference with the al. bars is that they will not deform or bend nearly as far as steel tubing bars will, they will simply crack and fail outright. That is an upside as well though because you would notice this immediately and HAVE to replace them whereas in the olden' days, many bikes had slightly 'tweaked' handlebars.

I would not worry about it. It is not the best way to tie <any> bike down but I think it will do. Canyon Dancers are handy and most every flatbed has a set (or more) on board for motorcycles because they are pretty universal and will work on all bikes. It is hard to grab onto some faired bikes, and the C-14 is no exception as straps have to be run up under the fairing to the lower triple clamp. My suggestion would be to not compress the front end beyond 1/2 to 2/3 of the travel both but more to leave the bike with some suspension travel to absorb road shock than to take it easy on the handlebars.

Brian

Yep, still under warranty. I bought it new in April.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Canyon Dancer. I had no idea. The tow driver cinched it up very tight, collapsing the forks to within 1/4 of the ziptie that I installed to measure maximum travel (and sag). It survived the 12 mile trip to the shop. Mostly freeway but some bumpy roads. Did I get lucky?

Mark