Author Topic: Replacements for front caliper bolts  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Replacements for front caliper bolts
« on: January 24, 2023, 05:50:18 AM »
When I did my brakes last year, I stripped out the bolt heads on the right side caliper. Thankfully I was able to get the left side bolts out so I could still get the wheel off. This past weekend I had to weld a socket onto the heads of the bolts to get them out. I was able to get them out that way. I didn’t want to replace the bolts with ones from Kawasaki because they use such a small hex and a tapered head. It’s like they WANT you to round out the bolt. Anyway, I found some replacements and I’ve been running them on the left side for almost a year now. I can say they work very well.

Wanyifa Titanium Cap Allen Socket Head Bolts Screw Pack of 4 (M10x60mm Pitch 1.25mm, Normal Titanium) https://a.co/d/c6JPpjh
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Replacements for front caliper bolts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 07:52:32 AM »
When I replaced my forks with the uprated ZX14 forks I also fitted Titanium bolts.
Mine are almost identical to the OEM ones, but being Titanium they won't round out where the Allen socket goes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194919936478?
I also fitted them with copper grease on the thread.
It makes sure that they don't vibrate loose but means ya can still get them off later.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 08:26:06 AM »
I threw a tiny bit of moly on the threads. Just enough to prevent lockup caused by corrosion. 52k miles and I don’t want to have to change the bolts again.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 06:44:43 AM »
Copper grease works like a kind of thread lock.
When the caliper gets hot the volatiles evaporate leaving just the copper content.
The copper ensures that you will be able to undo the bolt as it resists corrosion and is a soft metal (especially in steel/aluminium situations) but it also grips the bolt enough to prevent it vibrating loose. Just be very careful not to over-torque your bolt if you copper grease it.

Molybdenum DiSulphide found in Moly grease is more of a solid lubricant so after cooking off the volatiles your bolt is still lubricated and could vibrate loose.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 12:12:46 PM »
Molybdenum DiSulphide found in Moly grease is more of a solid lubricant so after cooking off the volatiles your bolt is still lubricated and could vibrate loose.

They could. I check them regularly, though. I've had bolts with loctite rattle loose. I try to check all the brake bolts, axle bolts, pinch bolts, and footpeg/shifter/rear brake lever stuff every few months. Nearly had my shift linkage fall off a few months ago. Noticed during the regular check.