Author Topic: Phone mount?  (Read 5697 times)

Offline YHSublime

Phone mount?
« on: October 14, 2021, 03:11:07 PM »
I've seen threads on this, but cant seem to figure out EXACTLY what I need to make this work. I'm looking for a mount that I can easily attach to the motorcycle, and a case that I can easily attach and unattached to the mount. I'm frequently riding in or around Washington, DC, and am constantly using navigation even I know where I'm going.

I have a 2013 kawasaki concours 14 & an iPhone 11 Pro Max

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2013 kawasaki concours 14

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Re: Phone mount?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »
I use a Quad Lock. Getting it on is easy, but requires the phone to be lined up right. Removal is SUPER easy. Push the little lock tab and it rotates off. I really like the vibration damping built into it as well.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 05:17:59 PM »
I'll second the Quad Lock. Hands down better than my previous Ram Xgrip mount.
IBA #18591

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 07:37:27 PM »

I too had a Ram X-grip before the Quad Lock. Your assessment is correct.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 05:22:49 AM »
RAM X-grip.  Works great.  Only issue is making sure one of the arms doesn't land on the volume buttons.  RAM ball on the risers.  Then use magnetic USB connectors so it is not possible to accidentally damage the phone connector port.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline J.R.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 05:47:06 AM »
Another vote for Quad lock. I have the wireless charger on mine as well.
Jim
2016 C14 "Kristi"

Offline timdow

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
I have X-Grip because there is no Quad Lock case for my phone.  X-Grip is OK, but I think Quad Lock is better.

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 08:24:30 AM »

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »
RAM X-grip.  Works great.  Only issue is making sure one of the arms doesn't land on the volume buttons.  RAM ball on the risers.

I have the ramx as well. I've only used it a few times, but def had to make very sure the arms don't contact a button... they are VERY strong spring-loaded arms!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:46 AM »
I have X-Grip because there is no Quad Lock case for my phone.  X-Grip is OK, but I think Quad Lock is better.
They make an adaptor that uses 3m tape to attach to your case. I am thinking of trying it.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »
Anyone using the quad lock with the vibration dampener? It's an extra $20. It's the reason I may switch from the x mount.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 10:30:07 AM »
Anyone using the quad lock with the vibration dampener? It's an extra $20. It's the reason I may switch from the x mount.
+1 for how the dampener works.  Ever try to record video on the bike?  Talk about distortion.  I use the ram mount with the long “fingers” to hold the phone.  I was able to squeeze a wireless charger in there, which is nice, but the quadlock set up looks cleaner and appears to work much better.  The 12 pro + phone I have now places the volume and off buttons right at the fingers, so it’s a pain to set the phone in the exact spot I need to enable wireless charging.   
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 04:14:00 PM »
IBA #18591

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 04:24:29 PM »
I have the ramx as well. I've only used it a few times, but def had to make very sure the arms don't contact a button... they are VERY strong spring-loaded arms!

I was VERY skeptical of the RAM X-Grip, thinking, "no way this this is going to be strong and reliable."  I was wrong.  Years of perfect service and the phone never moves AT ALL.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 04:25:12 PM »
They make an adaptor that uses 3m tape to attach to your case. I am thinking of trying it.

Now THAT is something I would not trust- just using some adhesive pad.  Besides, who wants some big thing on the back of their phone case all the time?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 04:46:50 PM »
For my quad lock: I rigged up my mount. I did add the vibration damper just so that the vibration from my bike doesn't kill my camera. I live in Phoenix, so I can't use wireless charging. It adds too much heat to the phone, and it'll shut down. Even just sitting in traffic when 110* is enough to get it to shut down. I would NOT recommend the Quad Lock mount with the wireless charging. My best friend has that one and the release to get the phone back off is MUCH harder to use.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »
Does the dampener seem to work well?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline J.R.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 07:07:05 AM »
I would NOT recommend the Quad Lock mount with the wireless charging. My best friend has that one and the release to get the phone back off is MUCH harder to use.

I find it just as easy to use the wireless charger mount as the regular one. Just need to use a thumb and finger on either side of the phone to push down on the lock ring. There might be an issue with your friends mount if it’s hard to push down. I have one in my truck as well that i also have no issues with. I also have the regular mount on two of my bicycles, so i use them regularly as well.

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fosKxf1XhxVsrNP48

Jim
2016 C14 "Kristi"

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 08:54:54 AM »
Thanks all! I've ordered the Quad Lock and the Vibration Dampener. I'll update once it arrives and I get it installed!

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2021, 09:50:03 AM »
I use a Quad Lock. Getting it on is easy, but requires the phone to be lined up right. Removal is SUPER easy. Push the little lock tab and it rotates off. I really like the vibration damping built into it as well.

I too had a Ram X-grip before the Quad Lock. Your assessment is correct.

Another vote for Quad lock. I have the wireless charger on mine as well.

For my quad lock: I rigged up my mount. I did add the vibration damper just so that the vibration from my bike doesn't kill my camera. I live in Phoenix, so I can't use wireless charging. It adds too much heat to the phone, and it'll shut down. Even just sitting in traffic when 110* is enough to get it to shut down. I would NOT recommend the Quad Lock mount with the wireless charging. My best friend has that one and the release to get the phone back off is MUCH harder to use.

Hey all! I think I might have worked myself into a pickle here. I ordered the Quadlock Motorcycle Stem Mount, and I'm wondering if it just doesn't fit, or if I'm missing some tips or tricks? I can get it about halfway down the hole in the stem and then no further. I've cleaned the inside of the bolt, I've tried a light touch, a bit nervous to try a big push, but think that wouldn't really work anyways.