Author Topic: When do the vibrations kick in on your C14?  (Read 15503 times)

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
Re: When do the vibrations kick in on your C14?
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
I didn't read all the posts in this thread (I am sure someone else mentioned this) but I started getting vibs at about 3500 rpms at about the 22K mark.  While doing some maint. and searching for answers to other issues I finally got around to checking the engine mounts.  My lower engine mount was about 3/4 turn from the correct torque.  The engine is back to glass.
T.S.R.

Offline Dan_from_WA

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:01 AM »
Personally, after spending a lot of time looking into this issue, I'm less inclined to think it's a mechanical balancing issue, and more of a fuel mixture + fuel timing and ignition timing issue.  I still have a long ways to go before I'll put this problem behind me, but so far, the things that have made a significant impact were things that affected the intake and exhaust flows.  It was an unexpected side effect of the changes, but very real.

I also think that fuel mixture & timing can be at least one of the variables that can affect how much the C14 engine vibrates, and at what rpm.  I recently had my ECU reflashed by Dynotronics, and one of the bonuses I noticed in addition to the improved performance was smoother running at all rpms.  There is more vibration when I am on the gas, running through the gears, but I have found that to be true of all the 4-cyl bikes I have ridden, including my '99 Blackbird, which is probably the smoothest-running bike I have ever owned.  With the ECU reflash done, my C14 now feels very similar to my Blackbird, vibration-wise.

That said, I am sure there are lots of other things that can cause the C14 to vibrate more or less, including engine mount bolts, balancer adjustment, bar-end weights, things like the heated grip wire protective cover, and every other thing that folks have mentioned on this thread.  You just have to try different ideas until you find the fix or combination of fixes that reduces the vibration to a level you can live with.  Don't expect "glass-smooth", just try to get it to the point where you can ignore what vibes there are and enjoy the ride.
Dan
2010 C14 ABS, 1999 Blackbird, 1986 C10, 1981 GS1100E
AMA #395399

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »
Well, while I was out on a ride with Charlie and Dave on Sunday during the "Ride the Ribbon" event, Dave graciously offered to let me ride his 2010 C14, so I could compare vibrations.  It is my opinion that his bike was much smoother, with less vibrations.  His is completely stock, as it came out of the crate, except for 2" risers, including the original tires (which should be completely worn out by the time he gets home).

I experimented through the RPM range up to 9500, tried several different gears, and doing some roll on full throttle pulls in the lower gears into the triple digits.  On his bike, which has under 8K miles as I recall, I felt no real buzz / vibs in the pegs, the seat, or the gas tank, and very minor amount in his stock grips.  There was a noticeable buzz around the top center of the dash, the reservoir covers, the levers, and the outside tips of the mirrors, all around 5K.  His vibs came on a little below 4K, and peaked out right around 5K RPMs, then smoothed back out as the RPMs increased above 6K.  I'm guessing that's how most guys would describe their bikes that say theirs is smooth?

What was interesting was his comment right after he got off of my bike.  He said "Yours is vibrating everywhere except the grips!  You can feel it in the tank, the seat, everywhere."  As I told him, if I had not done the shim washer trick to the bar weights, the grips would still be buzzing like that too.

Although it just confirms what I already thought I knew, it does provide a little vindication to make me feel like I'm not just imagining it, and chasing a ghost (Thanks Dave!!).

I still need to find the cause and fix it though.  Next, I need to find some gauges and do the TB sync, and check the valve adjustment.

Now why did I buy a brand new bike again?  Oh yes, so I didn't have to work on my older bikes.  Thanks for absolutely no help on this one Mama Kawasaki.    >:(

One other interesting bit of information, Dave is getting consistently better fuel mileage then I do with mine, on the order of 5 MPG.

At first I just figured it would have to be due to riding style, but after talking with him, and watching him ride, I think more of it is because his bike is just 'tuned' better.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »

heyyyyyyy  lmao!  slow and honda shouldn't live in the same sentence. for a dual sport its the fastest in its class...and about half the weight of a KLR

Honda dual class yumm!! did they stay in the market?

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?