Author Topic: K-ACT, KTRC error 1a, 1b, 28. Bike runs fine  (Read 15353 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: K-ACT, KTRC error 1a, 1b, 28. Bike runs fine
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »
I'm calling b/s on that one... the sensor is a pulse sensor... how does it fry? you aren't sending any volts to the sensor...
tell them to cut the wire you attached to the gray sensor wire, install the sensor...and when you get the bike back, re attache /splice the wires....

+1

That gets my vote.  They don't have to "uninstall" anything, just cut the connection from the Rostra to the speed sensor and call it a day.

Of course, if you then pay for the new speed sensor and it is working, and you reconnect the Rostra, and the speedometer stops working again.... don't expect a warranty replacement :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »
The dealer refused their previous offer to "fix" the Rostra wiring. I took a look at the Rostra wiring...it's not bad but there seems to be a fair amount of electrical tape which may just be for anti-chafing. And there is some non standard wiring colors...the dealer has the Rostra C14 wiring instructions but at this point they want it out of their shop. 

I agree that the speed sensor was unlikely to be damaged by the Rostra and it's likely that some other issue caused the errors...my speedo worked when I dropped it off.

At this point, with the good faith effort by the dealer and I want my bike bike...i am going to eat the $$ for the Rostra uninstall and price of the speed sensor.

Nobody knows what the original problem was other than the errors went away with the wiring harness install but then the speedo was inop.

I have been without my bike for most of the good (cool) riding season. The bill will be around $350 but I get my bike back and the other parts are warranteed. (And I will have a Rostra for sale!). The bill is nearly $3000 (parts and labor)...my portion is that $350.

Its understandable that a dealer should have to prove that a non OEM accessory caused an issue....how far would any of us take that? 2 months? 3?

It is incredibly frustrating and this is why I am waiting until the warranty expires before reflashing the ECU.

Thoughts ?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
I'm hearing you loud and clear, and I'm sure they do want it out of their shop, because they are just tossing stuff at it.... like the abs unit...
now, the speedo worked when you brought it in..... they supposedly tossed parts on the bike, which had the Rostra installed...
what exact harness did they supposidly replace??? and when they installed these harnesses, what re wire work did they do to re install the signal to the Rostra????  then, their re wire work caused the failure of the speedo sensor???

I just went over the circuits, and testing procedures for gage functions, and also the speedo sensor,  and feeling like they jacked up a connection or two...
either at the gage cluster plug pins 11 & 12, or down near the connection to the speedo sensor.... that sensor is a prox switch, which senses induction as metal passes a surface, no physical moving parts, and you coud connect 12v to any pair of wires on that sensor without damaging it...
I think during their testing, they made errors in the procedure, and caused the damage to the sensor.

as I said, the gray wire from the rostra only senses a pulse, and applies no current to the switch.

if they remove your rostra, and cobble up the harness installed, and don't do it in a manner to prevent shorts now after they remove all your wires... you're pretty much screwed, and chasing this down after will be a nightmare, especially when the scoot you out the door.

I wish you the best of luck,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 04:56:51 AM »
MoB, thanks for the insight...i took those points up with the service dept to no avail.

I got the bike back and my wallet is $340 lighter. Total billed to Kawasaki was around $3500. Parts replaced:

They don't know what caused the original error...i have a sneaking suspicion that it was the speed sensor all along.