Author Topic: Aarggh - Rust In Tank!  (Read 16204 times)

Offline Arata

Re: Aarggh - Rust In Tank!
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 05:31:03 PM »
I cleaned a horribly rusty tank with several bottles of "The Works" toilet cleaner.  It's super cheap and did a fantastic job.

You would want to pull the pump and whatever else from the tank first, and block off the openings.

Protect your paint as well, have a water hose handy for any spillage.

After I sealed the openings, I poured 3-4 bottles in the tank, and swished it all around every 15 minutes or so.  after about an hour and a half, I dumped it all out, and did several rinses with gas.

2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
Arata --  Thanks for sharing.  Actually I've already decided to try Evapo-Rust, partly because of its non-toxic/won't damage paint properties.  It will surely take a lot longer than something as strong as The Works, maybe a day or two, but that's ok with me.
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline PH14

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
their website tells the tale, if you look at the faq section they address how to "fix" the coating "if it flakes or fails to adhere"...

they try to cover their arse because of the high failure rate, and even go so far as having "liability" statements printed there also to get out of litigation, when it fails inside someones mega buck painted harley tank....heheheh

:yikes: :yikes:

Yeah, you had to do the preparation very carefully and then do the same with the application. I never had problems, but I know many who did. That would play havoc with a newer type fuel pump and injection system.

Oh wait... you said Harley... :-X