Author Topic: Aarggh - Rust In Tank!  (Read 16203 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Aarggh - Rust In Tank!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 09:32:24 PM »
ok thanks
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »
just stumbled on this....
http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

I might have to buy some...just to test it...

here's another, I bet they are the same...
http://www.metalrescue.com/storeselection.aspx

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
Yes, those are the ones I'm honing in on trying.  Probably Evapo-rust.  Many very positive review and demo videos on YouTube for both.  So simple and non-toxic it seems worth a try before going to more complex methods...
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 03:29:07 PM »
just stumbled on this....
http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

I might have to buy some...just to test it...

Better life through chemistry!  Available on Amazon (direct, not even third party) for less and also pretty good reviews too http://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-ER012-Original-Super-Remover/dp/B00M0TLQ66
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
Yes, those are the ones I'm honing in on trying.  Probably Evapo-rust.  Many very positive review and demo videos on YouTube for both.  So simple and non-toxic it seems worth a try before going to more complex methods...

I like instant gratification, and hate Amazon... ::) ::)

check where you can get it local,
It shows my Home Depot carries it...metal rescue
plug your zipcode in and viola

same for evapo rust also at some stores
And harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96433.html

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
Yup.  Local O'Reilly's has it in 1 and 5 gallon sizes for the same price as Amazon.  But I'm still interested in anyone's experience who has actually used either of these (or an equivalent WD-40 product) for tank de-rusting.
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

elp_jc

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 05:41:15 PM »
Sorry for the bad news, but you'll probably have to remove and professionally clean your injectors too. Doubt your bike will fire up without doing that, but you could try, I guess. Once engine fires up, you'll need a powerful fuel system cleaner to clean the rest of the lines and fuel rail as well. Just be mentally ready to have a breakdown or two if you don't change everything. Good luck.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
Sorry for the bad news, but you'll probably have to remove and professionally clean your injectors too. Doubt your bike will fire up without doing that, but you could try, I guess. Once engine fires up, you'll need a powerful fuel system cleaner to clean the rest of the lines and fuel rail as well. Just be mentally ready to have a breakdown or two if you don't change everything. Good luck.

he never attempted to start the bike...
it is clear, and already has been mentioned that likely the fuelpump is a lump also by now.
No fuel from that tank ever made it into the fuel line downstream of the pump, and therefore the rust damage that occured inside the tank, from sitting partially filled for 6 years, should have no bearing on the injectors.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 07:10:26 PM »
I agree with MOB, the fuel pump may have kicked the bucket.  And quite frankly, if it was sitting that long, who knows what kind of gunk is in the pump itself.  I'd replace it.  You can get that used from ebay.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
I had also concluded that since not one drop of old fuel has been pumped into the system, there's at least a chance that downstream of the pump will work ok, though I know the fuel itself in the lines etc. may have thickened some.  And I'm prepared to replace the pump if necessary, but I'm surely going to disassemble it and check it out, replacing the filter while there, and test it, before giving up on it.  Just call me a crazy optimist...

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 05:15:39 AM »
  Just call me a crazy optimist...
Or frugal.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
Quote from: C14_Rider link=topic=t19589.msg242382#msg242382 date=1432791332
I had also concluded that since not one drop of old fuel has been pumped into the system, there's at least a chance that downstream of the pump will work ok, though I know the fuel itself in the lines etc. may have thickened some.  And I'm prepared to replace the pump if necessary, but I'm surely going to disassemble it and check it out, replacing the filter while there, and test it, before giving up on it.  Just call me a crazy optimist...

wise assumption. Pull the unit, it has to come out anyways so you can use that big hole down there for further inspection, and additional rustnremovel procedure whichever method outlined you choose. there are instructions her showing how to actually service that pump, disassemble it, clean it meticulously, and assemble with the new filter pad.
test it in a bucket of mineral spirits, for function before reinstalling it at a later point... if its totally gacked, hit up ebay and buy one... I wouldn't trust the old one if it was all totalled..

keep us up on the progress..

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, and yes I will post updates.  Be patient, though, I won't have time for a bit yet.  Yes, I've seen all the great posts on the fuel pump and filter here, the folks who contribute to this forum are amazing.  It would be a greatly lesser ownership experience without all the great help here!  Cheers (hoisting a cold one right now in honor of all forum-dwellers)!  Steve.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
Back at you. :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »
I will have the tank I scored from EBay for a bit before I do any modifications to it. Let me know if you want to go that route.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »
Deziner --  Thanks for the offer.  Don't wait for me, though, to do whatever you have in mind for that tank.  Mine is absolutely perfect cosmetically, so I'll go to great lengths to get it cleaned and working again rather than have to deal with cosmetic work on a used one.  Again, thanks.   Steve.

Offline PH14

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2015, 08:54:24 PM »
I'm late to this party, but this product works very well. We used it a lot at a dealership I helped with. http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
I'm late to this party, but this product works very well. We used it a lot at a dealership I helped with. http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

Kreem is the WORST tank coating on the market.... it's old school, and they have never made it better since it's invention.
it delaminates from the base metal, and I've seen kreemed tanks fail in as little as 4 years... then you have a real issue trying to strip the rest off.... luckily POR has a stripper that will work, supposedly, at least thats what they say on thier site...

also showing how ancient the Kreem system is, thier etch product is phophoric acid, and it is an acid for sure, not friendly at all, and neutralizing it is a problem...
Kreem is a flammable solvent based product also, it is full of carcinogens, and MEK...

Offline PH14

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
Kreem is the WORST tank coating on the market.... it's old school, and they have never made it better since it's invention.
it delaminates from the base metal, and I've seen kreemed tanks fail in as little as 4 years... then you have a real issue trying to strip the rest off.... luckily POR has a stripper that will work, supposedly, at least thats what they say on thier site...

also showing how ancient the Kreem system is, thier etch product is phophoric acid, and it is an acid for sure, not friendly at all, and neutralizing it is a problem...
Kreem is a flammable solvent based product also, it is full of carcinogens, and MEK...

I'm sure you're right, but back then it was the only one out there. It did do the job. I had good luck with it, but haven't needed it for a long time. I'm glad there is something better out there now.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 01:16:34 PM »
I'm sure you're right, but back then it was the only one out there. It did do the job. I had good luck with it, but haven't needed it for a long time. I'm glad there is something better out there now.

their website tells the tale, if you look at the faq section they address how to "fix" the coating "if it flakes or fails to adhere"...

they try to cover their arse because of the high failure rate, and even go so far as having "liability" statements printed there also to get out of litigation, when it fails inside someones mega buck painted harley tank....heheheh