Author Topic: Changed front brake pads  (Read 9552 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Changed front brake pads
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 04:54:00 AM »
After a long ride over the weekend my new EBCs on the rear have started to squeal a bit while stopping. Anyone know of a cure for that?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 04:59:28 AM »
A bit of grease between the piston and the shoe?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 05:02:44 AM »
A bit of grease between the piston and the shoe?

I'll give that a try, thanks G.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 05:05:25 AM »
Disc brake grease ... auto parts store

jirod

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 07:05:54 AM »
After a long ride over the weekend my new EBCs on the rear have started to squeal a bit while stopping. Anyone know of a cure for that?
Just curious, were the fiber pad and the stainless backing reinstalled with the new EBC pads? If not, I would try that first. If yes, the pad grease others recommended might work. Or if you have moly grease or powder, rub a very light coat, almost nothing so it doesn't migrate onto the friction surfaces. Also remember the EBC HH pads need to be bedded. That may fix it

sailor_chic

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 07:48:48 AM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »

I had the same problem last time I changed the front. I tried the brake grease and it worked for about a week. I tried some spay stuff and that worked for about a day then I tried CRC Disk Brake Quiet in a plastic bottle. Like thick paint. You spread it on, let it dry and never heard the brakes again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
They don't look like C14 brakes.  What bike did they come off of?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
They don't look like C14 brakes.  What bike did they come off of?

Just a generic photo off the net. I didn't take pictures when I did it. But this pic illustrates the product and the application of it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
I had the same problem last time I changed the front. I tried the brake grease and it worked for about a week. I tried some spay stuff and that worked for about a day then I tried CRC Disk Brake Quiet in a plastic bottle. Like thick paint. You spread it on, let it dry and never heard the brakes again.

That stuff looks like cherry frosting or something suitably eeeew.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 04:44:03 AM »
Just curious, were the fiber pad and the stainless backing reinstalled with the new EBC pads? If not, I would try that first. If yes, the pad grease others recommended might work. Or if you have moly grease or powder, rub a very light coat, almost nothing so it doesn't migrate onto the friction surfaces. Also remember the EBC HH pads need to be bedded. That may fix it

Yes, I did reuse the fiber pads and the stainless backing plates. I also bedded the brakes in right after I installed them. Thanks though!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 04:48:14 AM »

http://jbtoolsales.com/crc-05017-disc-brake-quiet-9-oz-can-12-pack/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_byiBRCu9qm5lc28ufgBEiQAWq-taw0palP5WRzmC8uWunruRrZ8l4GB8HRnNmOsx2MKBy0aAowy8P8HAQ

Thanks for the link. I prolly don't need a case though.  :)

I wonder about this...

Product Description

Disc Brake Quiet forms a water resistant, high-temperature film that absorbs noise while quieting squeaks & squeals. Specially formulated to dampen the vibrations that cause brake noise. For use on the back of non-shimmed disc pads.

Non-shimmed disc pads? I wonder if the fiber pads and the stainless backing plates count as 'shims'?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 05:03:57 AM »
I'd guess it would count as shimmed. My use has always been with metal to metal.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 05:09:22 AM »
I'd guess it would count as shimmed. My use has always been with metal to metal.

This is from the description of the stuff that Rhino posted.

Stops squeaks and squeals
Water resistant, high-temperature film absorbs brake noise
Use on every brake job
For use on the back of non-shimmed disc pads, backing plates, brake pad contact points, disc brake pads
Easy to use

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 05:16:06 AM »
Give it a whirl and let us know how you stop or don't  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 06:32:45 AM »
Don't know about shimmed or not but I had a problem on the front brakes on my 2010 C14, put that stuff on them and all noise went away and the bike stops exactly the same as before, I'm ready for another set of pads and I'm going to put that stuff on again cuz it works.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:28 AM »
Where does you put it on?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
Where does you put it on?

I applied it directly to the back of the pad likes the picture shows.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 04:45:07 AM »
My apologies to the PO for the thread hijack.

Took another ride yesterday. The rear brake doesn't start complaining till it's good and hot. I'll see about picking up some of that goop the next time I'm out and about. I did put some in my cart at Amazon though. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 04:51:32 AM »
First steps, C.  First steps.