Author Topic: Changed front brake pads  (Read 9551 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Changed front brake pads
« on: October 25, 2014, 12:46:35 PM »
Hi ya'll. finally finished my truck, and did a lil work on my connie. Changed front tire and front brake pads. I did NOT open the brake line, just pushed the cylinders back in, slapped in new pads and put back tigether. I have noticed the front brakes need to be oumoed alot to get grip. Its getting better. Today i tied it engaged as i read here as a fix fir that. What i also notice is what i can only describe ad air being let into a tire when i hit the front brake. Ive been off my horse fir a minute but dint think i remember that sound before i changed the pads. It definitely sounds like its coming from within the lines. Any ideas?  Thx
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Changed front brake pads
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
Not sure what oumoed means..  But you should have kept an eye on the master cylinder when you replaced the pads.  Check the level in the master cylinder and make sure that is correct and not overfilled.  Put down a towel when you do this because if it is overfilled it's liable to spill over.  What pads did you use?  Some pads can elicit a shoooshing sound as they glide over the calipers.  The lever should be tight and not spongy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »
Typo. Pumped.

After tying off for 4 hours, its pretty tight in driving niw. Think the pads started with E. Something popular ive heard here before. The cylinder is full. If anything maybe too full. Should i empty a bit to appropriate level?

It still sounds like air being put in a tire when i hit the breaks at speed but im guessing it is the swooshing sound you are referring to.
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »
EBC most likely.  Yes, correct the level in the master cylinder.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
Ok checked level and pulled out just a lil. Its right below upper fill line. I tied the lever engaged again and will leave over night. Skyline drive tommorrow with my son on his 650. Momma wont ride so she'll bring up the rear in her car. :). One day...
Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 06:29:43 AM »
The EBCs are very noisy at first. They do quiet down a bit but are still louder than the stockers. They sure do stop the bike well though! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadie

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:01:38 AM »
Yeah they are EBC's. Its the oddest sound. I mean the brakes def are tight now. But literally sounds like air being out into a tire when i punch them at 60 miles an hour. I guess its the pads huh? 
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:26:01 AM »
More than likely, yes.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:47:35 AM »
I just changed mine recently with the EBCs and get that same noise. It's annoying and I hope they settle in and quiet down.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 08:48:16 AM »
Yep, the EBC hiss. The very reason why I did not buy more than one set.

For what it is worth, Gen. 2 OEM pads act just like EBC's but are quiet, at least that is how I find them. With a deep discount on- line supplier of Kawasaki parts, they are about the same price too.

Brian

Yeah they are EBC's. Its the oddest sound. I mean the brakes def are tight now. But literally sounds like air being out into a tire when i punch them at 60 miles an hour. I guess its the pads huh?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »
You made no mention of actually spraying down and scrubbing the pistons clean prior to pushing them in... not good. All the abrasive road grit and gunk has now been shoved in to that seal, and may contribute to issues downstream, I.e. spongyness..
I hily recommend every one cleans those pistons well with a toothbrush and brak cleaner prior to pressing them in.

Ymmv

And yes, ebc pads hiss,  but they grip well also, after about 200 miles, clean the rotors with brake kleen, and a in after 5k, it will help prevent shudder.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
Yep, the EBC hiss. The very reason why I did not buy more than one set.

For what it is worth, Gen. 2 OEM pads act just like EBC's but are quiet, at least that is how I find them. With a deep discount on- line supplier of Kawasaki parts, they are about the same price too.

Brian

How does one find the deep discount?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
Just do a Google search for 'Kawasaki parts' and check the prices. They will give you two prices, the retail price and 'their' price. I just pick the lowest one once shipping in calculated in. Just be careful 'cause sometimes it is difficult to impossible to return orders or even cancel them before they are shipped.

With approx. $100 worth of brake pads on the front of a C-14, it is worth mail order for those alone compared with what my dealer charges for OEM brake pads.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
Just did a quick check at Powersports Warehouse and this is the price I got for second Gen. C-14 front brake pads (all of them).... I used a 2012 year as reference but again, they are OEM Gen. 2 brake pads.

Subtotal: $93.90
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Estimated Shipping: $16.87

Estimated Order Total: $110.77

Check your local dealer against this price; there will be no shipping charge of course but you will almost certainly pay sales tax.

By the way, the on-line discount houses no longer seem to be supplying retail prices which is really too bad. But Bike Bandit lists the same pads as above for $62 each (two sets required) and that is still lower than retail.

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
Just do a Google search for 'Kawasaki parts' and check the prices. They will give you two prices, the retail price and 'their' price. I just pick the lowest one once shipping in calculated in. Just be careful 'cause sometimes it is difficult to impossible to return orders or even cancel them before they are shipped.

With approx. $100 worth of brake pads on the front of a C-14, it is worth mail order for those alone compared with what my dealer charges for OEM brake pads.

Brian

I keep seeing $62.60 per side. I don't remember paying $125 the last time I did it and I'm pretty sure I used OEM since I liked the OEM pads. So far the places I've found the Kawasaki OEM pads are bikebandit.com, kawasakipartshouse.com, motorsport.com and parstfish.com. All the same price.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
Well ok then! Thanks Brian!

Just did a quick check at Powersports Warehouse and this is the price I got for second Gen. C-14 front brake pads (all of them).... I used a 2012 year as reference but again, they are OEM Gen. 2 brake pads.

Subtotal: $93.90
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Estimated Shipping: $16.87

Estimated Order Total: $110.77

Check your local dealer against this price; there will be no shipping charge of course but you will almost certainly pay sales tax.

By the way, the on-line discount houses no longer seem to be supplying retail prices which is really too bad. But Bike Bandit lists the same pads as above for $62 each (two sets required) and that is still lower than retail.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
My previous reply, #13, just above the post I am quoting here: Powersports Warehouse. I just checked the price, and they are $93.90 for both sides, or $46.95 per side. Shipping to my zip code (I live in southern New England, US) is $16.87 for an order total of $110.77. That is less than $62 per side, includes shipping and there is NO sales tax. Again, all per my previous post.

By the way, if you throw some other, miscellaneous 'stuff' in the order such as well nuts, screws, etc., it sort of rides along without adding much, if any, to the shipping. I try to keep a handful of parts on my mental list and when ordering something large, just throw in the smaller items also.

Brian

I keep seeing $62.60 per side. I don't remember paying $125 the last time I did it and I'm pretty sure I used OEM since I liked the OEM pads. So far the places I've found the Kawasaki OEM pads are bikebandit.com, kawasakipartshouse.com, motorsport.com and parstfish.com. All the same price.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »
My previous reply, #13, just above the post I am quoting here: Powersports Warehouse. I just checked the price, and they are $93.90 for both sides, or $46.95 per side. Shipping to my zip code (I live in southern New England, US) is $16.87 for an order total of $110.77. That is less than $62 per side, includes shipping and there is NO sales tax. Again, all per my previous post.

By the way, if you throw some other, miscellaneous 'stuff' in the order such as well nuts, screws, etc., it sort of rides along without adding much, if any, to the shipping. I try to keep a handful of parts on my mental list and when ordering something large, just throw in the smaller items also.

Brian

Done and done!

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »
Kawasaki Part House has a set of of two for about $97 shipped.  Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them, nor have I ordered from them before.

Their website was given as a reference in another thread....They have excellent online parts diagrams.

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com

Free shipping when you use the online code advertised on their home page. 8)
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
Kawasaki Part House has a set of of two for about $97 shipped.  Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them, nor have I ordered from them before.

Their website was given as a reference in another thread....They have excellent online parts diagrams.

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com

Free shipping when you use the online code advertised on their home page. 8)

That's one of the places I looked. And I just looked again. $62.60 per side. No matter, I pulled the trigger with powersportswarehouse.com at $46.95 per side.