Author Topic: digital display  (Read 9809 times)

Offline gildaguz

Re: digital display
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »
Tire pressure
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline jonathan

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 08:29:40 AM »
Range + accessory thermometer.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
I leave it on temperature, and cycle through to check things occasionally.  The only other display I might keep on for any length of time is current mileage, for a real time indication of how my riding is affecting economy.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »
Always on tire pressure, but I have an extra guage for temp and voltage that sits right above my display so I kinda cheated.   ;)

If I left it on MPG it would just make me want to take it easy and why the hell would I want to do that? 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 09:45:39 AM »
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »
I usually leave it on tire pressure.

Fred

Offline Glenn

• 2011 Concours14, 1984 KZ1100R, 2008 KLR685
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
I leave it on temperature, and cycle through to check things occasionally.  The only other display I might keep on for any length of time is current mileage, for a real time indication of how my riding is affecting economy.

This is pretty much how I do it as well. I find that having the mode button so close to my left index finger lets me go through the options quite quickly and without much bother. :)
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
Interesting, I leave mine on range almost exclusively, though that's mostly because I know what my tire pressure is close enough anyway, and current or average mpg both are only mildly interesting to me.  As a commuter, I just want to know how many more trips I can make between the office and home before I have to gas up again.  OTH, that's starting to get pretty predictable too as I gain time on the bike.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
Interesting, I leave mine on range almost exclusively, though that's mostly because I know what my tire pressure is close enough anyway, and current or average mpg both are only mildly interesting to me.  As a commuter, I just want to know how many more trips I can make between the office and home before I have to gas up again.  OTH, that's starting to get pretty predictable too as I gain time on the bike.

How accurate is that range feature?

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
I usually keep mine on range as well. I don't know how accurate it is, but it usually doesn't start flashing about low fuel until I get into the 30-40 miles to go range. I'm too chicken to actually run it out of gas to see if it's dead on.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
I'd suggest it is very accurate, maybe almost too accurate-  Meaning, depending on your 'habits' and the immediate riding condition, the range displayed can fluctuate wildly.  You can start out with 50 miles displayed.  May drop to 30 with a quick acceleration.  Then I could jump up to 100 miles after a long down hill, coasting with the clutch in.  that's my experience anyway-
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 06:03:27 PM »
I leave mine on tire pressure which is very important if you encounter a nail and want to punch it and find you are down to 18 pounds of air...

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline vivo

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
Tire Pressure... and I use the GPS as a speedo...easier to see exactly how many miles per hour I am exceeding the speed limit...err I mean accurately following the speed limit...  ;D

vivo

Offline jonathan

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 08:35:35 AM »
I leave mine on tire pressure which is very important if you encounter a nail and want to punch it and find you are down to 18 pounds of air...

Ninja

I'm pretty sure that the alarm comes on around 30psi.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 08:53:59 AM »
Personally I find the range feature to be next to useless.  The trip odometer gives me a far more accurate picture of actual range.  Maybe it's just my riding habits though.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
Overall commentary on the digital display:

Current MPG:  Entertainment value - good for fighting boredom.  Information value - can be useful for hypermiling and finding optimal gear or w/s position.
Average MPG:  EV - low.  IV - good for comparing fuels, riding conditions & styles.  Usually inaccurate vs actual calculations.
Range:  EV - moderate.  IV - nil, the range is calculated based on Current MPG and fluctuates wildly.  It quits once you hit reserve.  It would be useful if it recorded miles ridden after reserve was reached, but that would be too logical and useful.
Tire Pressure:  EV - nil.  IV - high, is a reminder when the tires need aired up.  As far as emergencies go, the constant display is not required, as the warning will pop up when pressure drops below set level (32psi IIRC).
Ambient Temp:  EV - good.  IV - good.  Useful info to help fight hypothermia and dehydration.  Very useful when temps approach freezing to be more wary of icing.
The Red Light:  Still way too bright.  (Partially cover it with a stick-on dot.)
Fuel gauge:  Okay - but not as linear as it s/b.
Coolant Temp:  A digital display would be much better. 

All in all, the display is much more useful on the newer models because of the ease of switching.  Poor layout - more info s/b displayed on a single page, with fewer pages.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:43 PM »
Overall commentary on the digital display:

Current MPG:  Entertainment value - good for fighting boredom.  Information value - can be useful for hypermiling and finding optimal gear or w/s position.
Average MPG:  EV - low.  IV - good for comparing fuels, riding conditions & styles.  Usually inaccurate vs actual calculations.
Range:  EV - moderate.  IV - nil, the range is calculated based on Current MPG and fluctuates wildly.  It quits once you hit reserve.  It would be useful if it recorded miles ridden after reserve was reached, but that would be too logical and useful.
Tire Pressure:  EV - nil.  IV - high, is a reminder when the tires need aired up.  As far as emergencies go, the constant display is not required, as the warning will pop up when pressure drops below set level (32psi IIRC).
Ambient Temp:  EV - good.  IV - good.  Useful info to help fight hypothermia and dehydration.  Very useful when temps approach freezing to be more wary of icing.
The Red Light:  Still way too bright.  (Partially cover it with a stick-on dot.)
Fuel gauge:  Okay - but not as linear as it s/b.
Coolant Temp:  A digital display would be much better. 

All in all, the display is much more useful on the newer models because of the ease of switching.  Poor layout - more info s/b displayed on a single page, with fewer pages.

Nice overview on the display.  :thumbs:

I'd add one thing to the IV for the tire pressure display. It makes it easy to tell if your tires have warmed up. That's a big plus for us folks in the cold weather climates.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 01:20:31 PM »
Not to shoot holes in your post Conrad, but doesn't the Tire Pressure Sensor also factor in Temperature?  I believe it does on the 08's and newer.  That way, there is less fluctuation in the pressure displayed.  Example, you may have 42 lbs. on the button at say 65 degrees F.  You head down the road and warm up the tires, the display may only read 43 or 44 lbs of pressure when actually the pressure is significantly higher.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »
The TPMS does compensate for temp.  When you first start riding, note the pressures.  After a few miles, they will come up a psi or 2 - this is the stabilized pressure, ie the tires are pretty much warmed up.

The pressures shown on the TPMS will not normally vary more than a single psi after that point.

If you have 42 psi at 65f per a gauge, the TPMS will normally show 40 or 41 at startup, and stabilize at 42 when warmed up.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.