Author Topic: is my Kawi wearing out...or is it my imagination  (Read 11030 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: is my Kawi wearing out...or is it my imagination
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I agree the clutches are tough, on the ZX14s we drag raced them to death launching at 8K plus repeatedly for the life of the bike and I know guys that did that 1/4 mile at a time and racked up a LOT of miles .

I will change my clutch fluid. Again, never owned a bike to enough miles to worry about such till this C14
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »
Wow, crazy.  This morning, I started the C14, backed it  out of the garage, and sat there until my buddy got his helmet and gloves on.  Put it in first gear, started letting out the clutch, and it tried to take off with the clutch lever only 1/4" from the grip.  I sat there shaking my head, after trying it several times.  It started behaving fine after a few cycles of the lever while in neutral.

Steve, you jinxed me!   >:(  ;D

Let us know if changing your clutch hydraulic fluid fixes yours.  I wont be doing mine for awhile (too many other fires to stomp on right now).
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »
Update:  clutch has another 8,000 miles on it, still acts weird and unpredictable as far as where the "grab point' will be until I take off a few times.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 09:57:58 AM »
Update:  clutch has another 8,000 miles on it, still acts weird and unpredictable as far as where the "grab point' will be until I take off a few times.

Did you change the fluid? and did it make a difference?

The only bike I have put that many miles on was my Valkyrie. After about 50,000 miles I had the same symptoms as you are seeing. The reason was that the clutch in the Valk has a damper plate that has 2 plates riveted together with leaf springs in between that gives the whole assembly a few millimeters of cushion. Those rivets started to come apart. The other plates looked fine and hardly worn even compared to a new clutch. Looking at the exploded view in the manual it doesn't look like the C14 has a damper plate like the Valk but the symptoms sound similar.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
It's not at all unusual for clutch plates to stick together a bit when cold. As soon is it warms up a little, the plates naturally release. If you have thicker oil than 10W/40 even more likely to happen.

But I'd also agree that changing out the clutch reservoir regularly with fresh fluid solves some of these problems.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
I have this exact problem...kinda frequently too.  The clutch lever feels 'soft' and requires a full pull into the handle (from where I have it set anyway) to disengage the clutch.  If it's really soft, the bike will jump ahead when putting it into gear the first time.  All becomes right with the world after a mile or two down the road and a couple cycles through the gears.
Haven't really explored any fixes for it yet.  Sounds like the problem is more common than I thought.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
Mine has only done this one other time since back in May when SteveWFL put the hex on me.

I do squeeze and release the clutch several times before putting it in gear now though to check how it feels.

It's probably just moisture in the hydraulic fluid, and a fresh fluid change will probably fix it.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »
If you haven't changed the fluids in a while I would do that before your trip

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »
Just as an aside, brake fluid has a built- in indicator of its condition; it starts out clear and gets progressively darker as it is contaminated with water. As a general rule of thumb, the fluid should be changed before it gets even remotely close to opaque. I change mine when it is 'tan' or similar. Brake fluid alone will not allow corrosion anywhere in the system that is flooded with brake fluid, any corrosion (usually around the seal lips of the slave cylinders) is due to collected water in the brake fluid.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 09:25:09 PM »
I have this exact problem...kinda frequently too.  The clutch lever feels 'soft' and requires a full pull into the handle (from where I have it set anyway) to disengage the clutch.  If it's really soft, the bike will jump ahead when putting it into gear the first time.  All becomes right with the world after a mile or two down the road and a couple cycles through the gears.
Haven't really explored any fixes for it yet.  Sounds like the problem is more common than I thought.

I noticed this too and also that the fluid in the reservoir get kinda dark (but not the brake MC)  So I bled new fluid into the clutch master cylinder and it was back to like new feel.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Stavee

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
I had a similar problem last year. I changed the fluid and never got the operation back. neither could the dealer. Long story short, Ma Kaw ended up replacing the master cylinder.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Eric119

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:11 AM »
Mine does that but only when it is hot and has been sitting for a while but not long enough to cool down. When the bike is at running temp. or cold, the clutch engagement point is the same; when it is hot and has been sitting for a while, say 20 minutes, the clutch engagement point moves toward the handlebar quite a bit. The slave cylinder was replaced and it cured the problem for a while but it is back now (maybe 15K miles since the slave cylinder was replaced).

It seems very repeatable and <more or less> normal. I will change my clutch fluid and let it go at that unless or until there are other symptoms. The clutch itself works perfectly so it is nothing to worry about IMO, and there are 62K miles on my bike.

Brian

Mine did this too. I was in El Paso Tx, very warm day. Had changed my clutch fluid prior to the MC trip, so I know its not old fluid issue. At first I thought I was loosing clutch fluid but after about two or three shifts the clutch engagement was back to normal. Next day it did the same thing after a ride in hot weather and setting for a while. Guess it has something to do with high temps and sitting for a short time.