Author Topic: Power options for cell phone?  (Read 11954 times)

Offline bkromer

• 2012 C14 Black
Re: Power options for cell phone?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
On long rides I put my phone in my tank bag and run a cord to the power point. works great. If I want to hear music or use the phones GPS, I listen to Instructions through my Cardo Scala G9 on my helmet.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer

Bruce

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »

I have a 2012 C14 with the side glove box. I installed a small cigarette plug in the bottom of the box and use a usb converter to plug the phone into. Wired it so it's hot all the time. Phone is an I5. That way when I need to charge the phone I just plug it in and close the box and it is not only out of sight but locked away where I can leave the bike with the phone charging while I eat lunch or whatever.  Never had a minuted problem with it. Now if I could just get my I5 to sync with my Zumo 665 I'd have it whipped but no such luck. Multiple tries and maybe or maybe not it will pair up. As soon as you turn the bike off it unpairs and you start all over again. Pairing them usually takes so long I just quit in disgust. Don't want to talk over the Zumo just want to know I have an incoming call. I gave up on this issue.

Fork

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »
I used a cigarette lighter to USB power plug I had lying around, hacked it up (cut through the case), soldered the incoming side to 12 volt switched power and then hacked up a USB cable extension and soldered the power wires to the 5 volt outgoing side of the adapter. Then I let the extension hang out the left side of the bike so either myself or my wife can use it to charge anything that will plug into a USB port.... which is about everything. The extension is kinda' slick too because it has a blue LED light in it that illuminates when the cable is powered so there is never any question as to whether or not there is power at the USB plug. And it makes a neat little blue light that bobbles on the left side of the bike that confuses people- it is win / win.  :)

Brian

I know there are a few out there such as Powerlet and 3BR Powersports to get a USB connector that you can place anywhere. I was wondering what people on here do. Just use a cigarette lighter adapter to your cell phone or do you put in a USB connector outlet?

I am going on a long ride in a few weeks and I typically turn off the "radio" function on the phone so it doesn't search for a cell signal or data, but I was thinking of leaving it on this year so I can use the GPS functionality as well as listening to the music through the Sena. Doing that drains the battery when the phone is searching for a signal all day.

I was thinking of leaving my phone in a tank bag or in the storage compartment and not use a tank bag. What do you think?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Edward

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 07:21:35 AM »
Actually, the newest version of Google maps does allow for pre-caching of maps. It is described in the link below. You can then use Google maps on your phone without cellular signal, no problem. You can cache multiple areas.

1. In Google Maps on your phone, "Use the search box at the top to find the location whose map you want to save for offline use. Alternatively, you can navigate to the area manually that you want to save for offline use.

2. Now, type “ok maps” in the search box at the top and Google Maps will pre-cache the Map area being shown on-screen for offline use.

Read more at http://www.cultofandroid.com/34026/save-maps-for-offline-use-in-the-new-google-maps-for-android/#b1fDiZvqCJlRgvKF.99

I am on a Droid and Airplane mode is good, but turning off the "Radio" is better.  I will look into those GPS programs as currently I only have Google Maps and they don't allow you to download the maps in advance or load a GPX file.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
Actually, the newest version of Google maps does allow for pre-caching of maps. It is described in the link below. You can then use Google maps on your phone without cellular signal, no problem. You can cache multiple areas.

1. In Google Maps on your phone, "Use the search box at the top to find the location whose map you want to save for offline use. Alternatively, you can navigate to the area manually that you want to save for offline use.

2. Now, type “ok maps” in the search box at the top and Google Maps will pre-cache the Map area being shown on-screen for offline use.

Read more at http://www.cultofandroid.com/34026/save-maps-for-offline-use-in-the-new-google-maps-for-android/#b1fDiZvqCJlRgvKF.99

Very interesting. I will have to try it later today and see how it works. We will be covering a large area, but I could do the offline map "saving" for the next day when we are done riding that day and have wifi.

In the past, I have had issues getting Google Maps on my phone to follow the route I want to take (we enter start and end points and drag new points onto the map to force it to take the route we want).  I will try it for my ride home today.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »
I got the dual USB power port today, got it installed already:

Works like a charm with my Droid.  The Google Maps downloading Edward talked about, not so much.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Edward

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
You must have an older version of Android/Maps. If so, the option to download maps offline is in the settings within Google Maps on your phone. You only have to use the procedure above with the latest upgrade. I used this feature extensively a few weeks ago riding Utah canyons with no cell service. Works great unless you try to download too large an area at one time. (I was able to cache all of the DC Metro area on my phone in one shot. YMMV)

I got the dual USB power port today, got it installed already:

Works like a charm with my Droid.  The Google Maps downloading Edward talked about, not so much.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »
Ah, I see now where I can download it for offline...Thanks.   I will try it on our drive tomorrow (an hour away).

I have the latest version of the software according to my phone.  I still can't get it to load the maps that I set up in advance (specific waypoints) as it will open in the web browser, but not in the actual program.
Scott

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »
I use this for my smart phone. I like that I can leave it in my lunchbox and keep charging my phone while I am working.

http://www.amazon.com/ZAGGSPARQ-ZAGGsparq-Portable-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00343D2NC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378510517&sr=8-2&keywords=zagg+sparq
Joel from Maine.

Offline lonekazoo

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
Not to get too far off subject, but if you want to leave your GPS on and record a track log while riding, there's a little-known (but recently updated) android app from Google called "My Tracks" that has a pretty neat interface and dashboard, and a cool way to replay your ride in Google Earth.  Also makes it easy to save and share the data through Google Drive.

I mostly use it for dual sport riding, but it's fun to play back street rides also.  It shows relative speed in the Earth map overlay, so you see yourself slowing down, stopping, etc.  Your iphone buddies will all be jealous.

George

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
On a 7 day ride right now I just use the cig adapter on the right side to power the phone all day as I bluetooth music to my headset. I have a powerlet on the leftside for the RD so far works fine for me
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told