Author Topic: Poor Man's Throttle Lock  (Read 8210 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Poor Man's Throttle Lock
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »
For those who use the o-ring how awkward is it to roll into and out of position when you want to use it? I'll likely never use it even though I likely got the exact CAT o-ring on board ship (6 CATS) but inquiring minds want to know......
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »
Tcro- you roll the oring on the bar end when the bike is stationary. When at speed roll it into the space between the grip and the bar end. It's hardly a seamless operation, but works well enough. You can then adjust your speed to your needs. To remove just roll back onto the bar end. Hey sounds like you can get the rings for nada, so it's worth the experiment.

D
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »
I've used just about every type of throttle lock made, on many different bikes.  It's not like you can't override the throttle.  Are they perfect?  NO  Do they work in a pinch?  Yes.  Sure it's easy to WANT to think all the wrong things about them, but the bottom line is, if it works for you so be it.    None of the locks I've tried will maintain a given speed for very long.  My experience is that it is enough time to shake your hand out, rest it for a minute or five, and get back to riding the bike. 

I will say that they are handy as hell for their 'instantaneous' activation.  Many times I'd like to give a friendly wave to fellow travelers and I can't get my cruise set fast enough.  With the CAT ring, it is ALWAYS set.  None of my experiences with the O-rings have ever led me to one of those OH $hit moments like I have had with the cramp busters.  But that's just my two cents.

Tcro- you roll the oring on the bar end when the bike is stationary. When at speed roll it into the space between the grip and the bar end. It's hardly a seamless operation, but works well enough. You can then adjust your speed to your needs. To remove just roll back onto the bar end. Hey sounds like you can get the rings for nada, so it's worth the experiment.

D
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline JerBear

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
I use an O-ring after I saw the U-tube video.  Get a ring that has about a 3/16 or 5/32 dia. rubber ring and about 1 1/8 dia.  It is very easy to roll onto the space between the end of the stock grips and the stock end weights.  I also use grip puppies and they seem to stay out of the way well enough.  It basically causes a small amount of friction that you need to keep the throttle stationary with your hand off of it.  It gives you a few seconds to work out the cramps in your right hand.  I normally leave it on the end weight and can roll in on and off easily while driving.  I wanted to get a TM but don't have the extra cash yet and this really works quite well.  You can easily override the o-ring's friction with your hand to stop/slow down.
2008 C14 Non-ABS