Author Topic: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments  (Read 36765 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
"PAIR"?

PAIR, or SAI (Secondary Air Injection), or AIS (Air Injection System), or whatever everybody else calls it...it has several names.

I think "PAIR" was a Suzuki term originally....for Pulsed Air Injection Reed or something like that?

Kawasaki used to call it the "KLEEN" system way back when...or they still do...Kawasaki Low Emission Exhaust....I forget how it goes...lol.

I dunno...lol.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline texrider

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »
Congrats on the '15  :)

Let me know if you'd like to sell your stock muffler, seat, and windscreen  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »

Merely that there is power to the bike (the main battery). It will shut down automatically after 24 hours with the bike untouched. You can also set the bike to not display that light at all.

As someone already said, it is in your owner's manual.

I like the red light and I don't understand why anyone would disable it. It may have some security value in that simply by blinking it may discourage someone from messing with it, and hopefully it says" better go mess with a different bike". My favorite feature is when I wander out of the motel with coffee in hand and slippers on feet and see that the rest of the group is all  geared up and ready to go, that red blinking light says my battery is charged and I don't have to quickly beg a jump from them before they take off. If it's blinking, I just do the "I'll catch up later wave" and go back in for that second cup and a quick shower.

As for the California bike thing, it could be that Kawasaki is now shipping all the bikes to California spec, but I purchased mine new (2010 new in the crate as I signed the papers) further east in Texas and it had the California specs as well, so some get sent to other places still in the crates. The extra 2 lbs could be coming from the new catalytic converter, as the canister just doesn't weigh that much. Until you need the space for farkles (cruise control, horn compressor, etc) there is no need nor performance to be gained by removing it. (if/when you do remove it, plug the Green line and filter the Blue line)

For the seat, I make sure that it is well forward in the tank clips by grabbing the rear of the seat and push and wiggle it forward (not hard enough to push it off the centerstand) and then push down on the rear until it clicks in. Sometimes the middle hooks are already "in" and sometimes they just need me to sit on the seat and they pop in place. I really like the ZX14 center pins better and I have a used set that I have yet to install.

I dislike the lack of a handle for the center stand. The passenger grab handle is just too far backward to help; at least in my case.

I maybe wrong in this elp_jc for your personal build (I'm 5'6"), but there is a technique to the center stand that works for most of (all sizes) us. Your right arm grabs the passenger grab rail and remains straight and locked at the elbow. Think not of lifting the bike onto the center stand, but rather pushing the center stand down under the bike, almost all of the pressure (seems like about 90% of the total effort, and my left foot comes off the ground as it happens) should be coming from the ball of your right foot. I have to wear my riding or hiking boots to do it, because tennis shoes just let too much pressure through for me. Yeah, I'm a yankee tenderfoot livin' in Texas.

elp_jc, Congrats on the new bike!

elp_jc

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »
MY 2014 has a light that flashes continuously after I shut the bike down.
Hey Ted, PM you on how to disable it if you want :). Also posted that on another thread (thought it was here, but not).

FartyMarty, your method is exactly what I do. I'm 5'10", but only 155#. The problem is the C14 dooesn't have a proper 'grab handle', so Kawi designated the passenger grab bar. But it's too far rearward to help putting enough pressure on the centerstand (you have to be on top of it), and if I grab the pasenger handle I have to move to the right, and can't put enough foot pressure on the stand with my leg sideways. But as I said, it was just a comment. I can put it on the stand just fine, but have to grab under the passenger peg with the bags on. And now that it has no bags (the way I ride most of the time), the bag mount is the perfect handle, so perfect solution for 95%+ of the time. Somebody posted a handy grab handle accessory, but I don' t need it. Otherwise, I'd buy it. Another thing is this bike has to be raised quite a bit more than others. I can put both the GL1800 and BMW K1600GT on their centerstands without much effort at all, and are way heavier. This one requires  more effort, but still can do it just fine. A good incentive to keep this 53-yr-old body in good shape ;D. Thank you for the tips. 

Offline Jim H

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 04:17:48 AM »
  I noticed it was a little easier also with the 190/55 series to put on the center stand.  I was also comparing that to the 190/50 almost totally worn Angel Gt that was on the bike when I got it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 04:52:47 AM »
Hey Ted, PM you on how to disable it if you want :). Also posted that on another thread (thought it was here, but not).

FartyMarty, your method is exactly what I do. I'm 5'10", but only 155#. The problem is the C14 dooesn't have a proper 'grab handle', so Kawi designated the passenger grab bar. But it's too far rearward to help putting enough pressure on the centerstand (you have to be on top of it), and if I grab the pasenger handle I have to move to the right, and can't put enough foot pressure on the stand with my leg sideways. But as I said, it was just a comment. I can put it on the stand just fine, but have to grab under the passenger peg with the bags on. And now that it has no bags (the way I ride most of the time), the bag mount is the perfect handle, so perfect solution for 95%+ of the time. Somebody posted a handy grab handle accessory, but I don' t need it. Otherwise, I'd buy it. Another thing is this bike has to be raised quite a bit more than others. I can put both the GL1800 and BMW K1600GT on their centerstands without much effort at all, and are way heavier. This one requires  more effort, but still can do it just fine. A good incentive to keep this 53-yr-old body in good shape ;D. Thank you for the tips.

If ever you decide to install some drop protection on your bike, the MCE rear bars offer a perfect handle to hoist the bike up on to the center stand. You wouldn't want to ride without the bags and have these bars installed though, too fugly! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

elp_jc

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 01:47:48 PM »
Few updates. I DO have a CA bike :(, since the 2015 manual still lists the charcoal canister (and its associated vacuum plumbing sticker under the seat) as CA only. And I have the fuel tank plumbing (red and blue hoses), and canister under the right 'glove box' space. Guess we'll have to wait until somebody else buys a 2015 out of CA and we can compare, but so far there's supposed to be a separate CA model. My guess is the warehouse had a surplus of CA bikes and shipped one to my dealer in NM. He got one of the very first ones, so it wasn't a dealer swap or anything like that. It was sent from the Kawasaki warehouse. Build date is 11/14, so I assume they sat there for at least a week or two. No biggie.

Two questions: Which indoor cover would you guys recommend that fit? Looked at the OEM and it's $160, and for outdoor use. Want something just for dust protection. Saw a ton on eBay, many for $17 shipped... which assume are crap. Want the cheapest possible, but NICE; that's why I'm looking for testimonials. And just a dust cover; not the bulky, heavy outdoor type. Thank you.

Finally, does anybody know if there's a way to bypass the automatic windscreen lowering feature on this bike? I rarely raise it, but would like it to stay where I left it after turning ignition OFF, mostly for maintenance issues (removing panels, etc). The FJR1300 had the same 'feature', and disconnecting a lonely pink-wire connector did the trick, with no side effects. Not a big deal either, but if simple, would like to do it. That's all for now. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Offline Jim H

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
just hit the up or down button when you shut it off.....it will then stay.

elp_jc

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 02:57:55 PM »
just hit the up or down button when you shut it off.....it will then stay.
That's great news; thanks. So just to be clear, turn ignition OFF, THEN immediately thereafter hit the switch either UP or DOWN, or simultaneously? That way we can work on the bike without having to have the ignition ON all the time, like the manual says to remove the front side fairing pieces, where a push-pin resides under the windscreen. Thanks again.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 03:49:39 PM »
Sounds like you just want a cloth over?
I bought mine from Walmart or Cycle Gear and it is for the outside. It is waterproof, Nylon I believe.
This one was the largest they had. I think it would cover a Goldwing if I wanted...
But, it's not all that bulky. It rolls up small enough to easily fit in a Crown Royal Bag.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
I saw the '15 green in person yesterday.  The color had a gold metalflake in it which don't remember in my '08 candy lime green KLR. It is good that copperdawg is being cautious.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
For a dust cover I use a good ol' twin fitted sheet we haven't used in a looong time. Ain't she a byoot? The price is right (free).

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:50:32 PM by Conniesaki »

elp_jc

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:26 PM »
Ted, the cloth covers are heavy and bulky, typically for outdoor use. I just want a thin nylon one, which is what the dust covers are made of... and pack very small indeed. So you don't remember where you bought your cover? Don't want to buy 2 and find out. Ha ha. If I don't get specific info, will end up just buying the largest size, and even if it flops on the ground, I know it'd fit ;D.

Hey twowheeladdict, I think the color is definitely different than the cheaper KLR. CopperDawg said it was used on the 2012 ZX10, I believe, since it was also called 'Candy Lime Green'. But it's a darn tri-coat, and those are a royal b*tch to match, so need to wait for a sample. And due to the different windscreen, will have to spend an extra $60 in parts on top of the not-so-inexpensive sport screen. Oh well. Better be worth it :).

Yesterday I removed all the stuff from the storage compartment to make it fully manual (and fully reversible). No need to remove anything other than the 2 clips and bottom bolt (missing on my bike, but had an aluminum one laying around). And today just replaced the cotter pin on the rear axle with a proper R-clip (pics below). Next week should get all the rest of the crap except the sport screen. And it'll be ready for its first trip, hopefully to Big Bend in late February, to test the ergos and seat 8).

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 07:05:46 AM »
Two questions: Which indoor cover would you guys recommend that fit? Looked at the OEM and it's $160, and for outdoor use. Want something just for dust protection. Saw a ton on eBay, many for $17 shipped... which assume are crap. Want the cheapest possible, but NICE; that's why I'm looking for testimonials. And just a dust cover; not the bulky, heavy outdoor type. Thank you.

Nelson Rigg UV2000 in XL size.    :thumbs:

The cover is very light weight but not strictly an indoor cover. I used it mostly while parking at work to keep the sun off my bike. The surface of the cover is very reflective and keeps the bike cooler. It comes with a storage bag and the whole thing smooshes down pretty small. The cover has held up well in the three years that I've used it. Do a search to find the best price. I bought mine at Dennis Kirk. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 07:40:13 AM »
The '08 KLR is also candy lime green.  So is the '04 meanstreak.  ZG's build is the golden blaze green from the z1000. I think the bike might be a color all its own.  More flake than the previous candy limes, but not as much as the golden blaze green.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

elp_jc

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »
The '08 KLR is also candy lime green. So is the '04 meanstreak.
For some reason, the one I saw looked very different. But knowing now it was an '08, probably lots of sun fade over the years. If it was 'Candy Lime Green', then it should be the exact identical color/process of my bike IMO. Unless Patrick (CopperDawg) was wrong that this color is a tri-coat, it's surprising Kawi used it on the affordable KLR. Maybe that's why it hasn't been used again. At any rate, I'm not happy about that fact, since most companies don't make touch-up paint for those colors. Need to find out if Kawi does, as I'm surely going to get rock chips over the years, especially here in the desert. Take care.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
Here is where you get Kawasaki candy lime green
http://www.colorrite.com/product/kawasaki-candy-lime-green-1534.cfm

There is a note saying for 2013 and earlier.

Kawasaki uses candy lime on many of it's bikes. 

Sorry to disappoint you, but Kawasaki used That color on many bikes.

Check out this image search tossed a few.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kawasaki+candy+lime+green&biw=601&bih=395&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5qjOVPr5NsX7sASLqYIo&ved=0CCcQ7Ak&dpr=1.33

My Concours Travels:

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 04:41:11 PM »
I'm in Utah and my 08 has the same emissions stuff.  There is really no harm in havign the stuff.  One odd benefit is you can park these ca-emissions bikes in a hot garage, empty fuel tank, and your garage will never smell like gas fumes.

We cant hold quite as much fuel, but otherwise, its  a non issue.

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 06:26:52 PM »
I've had a few covers. By far, the Geza Gear covers are the best for me.

http://www.gezagear.com/

sailor_chic

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
For a dust cover I use a good ol' twin sheet we haven't used in a looong time. Ain't she a byoot? The price is right (free).

Pretty flowers :)