Author Topic: Starter transmission saftey switch location  (Read 1340 times)

Offline guycnicholas

Starter transmission saftey switch location
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
I tried to take off the other day in second gear (unknowingly) and killed the bike and then had quite a time trying to start it again.  I was embarrassed, rolling, blah, blah.  Once at my destination I did some testing and found out that the start switch is deactivated when the bike is rolling, or in gear.  When I got home I had a look through the service manual, and found out they have several safety switches, one of them connected to the transmission.  I want to bypass that switch but I am not sure where it is.  The manual dedicates like 2 or 3 pages to disassembling the starter motor, but not one picture, that I could find, of the location of the various start switch circuitry, other than the wiring diagram.

Am I missing something here?  Is there a picture of where it is located?  Has someone out there come across it?

Regards, Guy 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Starter transmission saftey switch location
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:41:40 PM »
You want to DISABLE the safety switch that prevents starting the bike when it is in gear????  Or are you just trying to disable something that prevents starting while rolling?  (I never even knew such a sensor existed, but it sounds like a reasonable thing to have; although I can see where the rolling thing could be annoying at times).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Starter transmission saftey switch location
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:11:08 AM »
max, I think that the disable feature works when the bike is in gear AND rolling. I guess many of us do start the bike in gear while pulling the clutch lever, but then we're stationary.
When trying to make it to the next fuel station with nothing but vapors in the tank last year in Italy, I turned off the engine for several km and started it at the end of the slope, on the move. Come to think of it, the 'box was in neutral. I'll try this...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.