Author Topic: Philips H4 X-treme Vision 100 - worth it? --> Update UPDATED!!!  (Read 19133 times)

Offline RGOODIN66

Re: Philips H4 X-treme Vision 100 - worth it?
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »
Power Bulps has these on sale for 28.88 free shipping
plus a free OSRAM W5W

us code FOS25 for 25% off

not sure how long the sale is

http://www.powerbulbs.com/us/store/category/philips-x-treme-vision-130/fitting/h4-472

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Philips H4 X-treme Vision 100 - worth it? --> Update/report
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »
Old thread revived.

So, I've had these bulbs since the bike had 79600 km (49440 miles) and I've been really satisfied with the extra light they provide. I paid around 25USD for the pair. That was in May 2014.

Yesterday, after 26 000 km (16 150 miles) the right one finally gave up. I'll be changing it the next couple of days, and I'll be fitting the same thing. There's always the obvious trade off in light output vs life span in this type of bulbs; my experience has been that I had already changed the OEM ones after 50 000 km (31 000 miles), so they last twice, and cost half. I am perfectly happy with spending 12.50 USD every 2 years (hell! every year would also be absolutely alright!) in order to get the extra safety.

I'd like to point out that the burnt bulb is the one on the right (as I mentioned) which is the side that was broken when I had a small accident in April '15, where the headlight assembly got broken on that side. I got a new assembly but the mechanic saved the two bulbs. So that might be a factor why the right one burnt first. I'm curious to know when the left one will give up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:44:12 PM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Philips H4 X-treme Vision 100 - worth it? --> Update/report
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2016, 07:11:39 AM »
Thanks for the update, Martin.  Personally I haven't had good luck with longevity on bulb upgrades.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »
Thanks for the update, Martin.  Personally I haven't had good luck with longevity on bulb upgrades.

Generally, the "brighter" bulbs are a little over-driven, which causes them to wear out sooner.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »
Come to think of it, I've only changed them once since I bought the bike (standard H4s).
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
Just an FYI to clear up some confusion earlier.

Philips recently introduced their LED H4.  Pucker tight before ya read the price.

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm

Then there is this option.

A rider named Spiderman on ADVrider consulted with and helped Evitek come up with this one, which was available before the Philips.  It looks like Philips copied the identical low beam cut-off guard design.  Some riders are having good results with it.  http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Evitek-Easy-Installed-Headlights-4500LM/dp/B017M566T4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458490901&sr=8-1&keywords=g6+h4+led

Long term reviews are not in yet. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:16:08 PM by Flat-spot »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »
Philips recently introduced their LED H4.  Pucker tight before ya read the price.

That looks very interesting, indeed!  Proper cutoff, no stupid fan to fail (and they will), proper color, installation couldn't be any easier.  Still will have stray light,  but will it be more or less than an HID retrofit?  (Who knows yet).  It also will not throw light everywhere it is supposed to (an H4 bulb lights down AND up on high beam, ssems the Ultinon LED is one-sided).  It is an insane price, but it is bound to get more reasonable over time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 12:20:14 PM »
I'd like to point out that the burnt bulb is the one on the right (as I mentioned) which is the side that was broken when I had a small accident in April '15, where the headlight assembly got broken on that side. I got a new assembly but the mechanic saved the two bulbs. So that might be a factor why the right one burnt first. I'm curious to know when the left one will give up.

Unbelievable, but the left bulb burnt out before I could even find any replacement for the right one, so I had to buy "normal" H4. It seems like the special kind are not available in Sicily, at least not in a pinch. So, the left one lasted a whooping 100 miles more than the right one.

Going into the tunnels on the Sicilian autostrada (many aren't lit) just got yet another notch scarier.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »
Unbelievable, but the left bulb burnt out before I could even find any replacement for the right one, so I had to buy "normal" H4. So, the left one lasted a whooping 100 miles more than the right one.

Some say that is "good quality control" (predictable failure/duty)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2016, 04:53:41 AM »

+1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »

my thought exactly!

Offline Conrad

Re: Philips H4 X-treme Vision 100 - worth it? --> Update UPDATED!!!
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2016, 01:37:16 PM »
IM seeing two different ones on amazon.....

these...  http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWUPC6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=AF3SA2F2HOVSI

and these..... http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B007K6E51W?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AF3SA2F2HOVSI

Benefits or disadvantages of one over the other?

I don't know what the differences are between these two (if any) but I bought and installed the set in the first link almost exactly a year ago (I paid $10 more then). I'm happy with them, they're VERY bright and VERY white.   :thumbs: :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »
I don't know what the differences are between these two (if any) but I bought and installed the set in the first link almost exactly a year ago (I paid $10 more then). I'm happy with them, they're VERY bright and VERY white.

They are actually only "white" on low beam, because they tint the top of the bulb blue :) 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2016, 04:03:14 PM »
I don't know what the differences are between these two (if any) but I bought and installed the set in the first link almost exactly a year ago (I paid $10 more then). I'm happy with them, they're VERY bright and VERY white.   :thumbs: :thumbs:

According to Martins' schedule you've got a year left.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
IM seeing two different ones on amazon.....

these...  http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWUPC6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=AF3SA2F2HOVSI

and these..... http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B007K6E51W?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AF3SA2F2HOVSI

Benefits or disadvantages of one over the other?

One has a 100% more power, and the other 130%. But because of the nonlinear way in which the human eye perceives light, the +100% (so, twice as much output) will only look 41% brighter, while the +130% will look 51% brighter, and I can imagine that it'll last even less.
I had the +100% and it was great. There was no blue hint, by the way. In fact, parked next to the new BMW GS with its LED headlight, it looked yellowish.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2016, 04:19:34 PM »
One has a 100% more power, and the other 130%.

Both are just marketing.  By my estimate it is actually only about 10 to 15% brighter.  But there are so many ways to measure things, one can say just about anything and be "right".

There was no blue hint, by the way. In fact, parked next to the new BMW GS with its LED headlight, it looked yellowish.

The blue tint on the Philips X-treme bulb is actually just enough to counter most of the yellow to make it look more neutral.  They can't put much more tinting or it will cut out too much usable light.

Most factory LED implementations I see are considerably more blue compared to factory HID.  Not sure how/why that is, though.