Author Topic: need lift assist for recovery from surgery  (Read 5038 times)

Offline petepro

need lift assist for recovery from surgery
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
anyone ever cme up with a way to centerstand a bike without using their left arm?
i will be unable to lift more than 10 pounds for a couple months.

i was thinking of a tow strap looped over my shoulder  and clipped to the grab rail

any thoughts
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: need lift assist for recovery from surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »
Check with Philip of 'Phils Farkles'.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »
I must be missing something. I wrestle the bike with my right arm on the passenger rail and the right foot on the centre stand. The left hand just keeps the steering straight, no force there.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline petepro

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
I must be missing something. I wrestle the bike with my right arm on the passenger rail and the right foot on the centre stand. The left hand just keeps the steering straight, no force there.

you know i think you are right.

just that im nervouse i guess.

2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »

you know i think you are right.

just that im nervouse i guess.

Yes, most of the work is done by the right foot and right arm, however there can be a lot of force needed just to get the bike vertical off of the side stand and vertical over the center stand.  I'd get a partner on the other side, even if they couldn't help get it on the center stand they would be there just to help keep it vertical. Perhaps a small pad 1/4"-3/4" under the side stand just to get closer to vertical. I'm assuming you've had surgery or something done so you don't want to screw that up..what would happen if you felt it going over away from you and you had to pull towards you with more than 10lbs of force?... Better be safe and get a helper, or better yet:  just leave it on the side stand until you've healed up.

Best wishes Pete and a speedy uncomplicated recovery wish as well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
anyone ever come up with a way to centerstand a bike without using their left arm?
i will be unable to lift more than 10 pounds for a couple months.

i was thinking of a tow strap looped over my shoulder  and clipped to the grab rail

any thoughts

Generally, the only time you need to center stand the bike is when performing maintenance (the side stand is more stable for general use).  Will you be performing one-armed maintenance too??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 05:17:31 AM »
I find this bike pretty easy to get it up (easy boys!) on the center stand but there are things to make it even easier such as putting down a piece of 1x4 board and driving the rear tire up on it. Having that extra 3/4" makes putting it on the center stand a snap.

sailor_chic

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 05:49:39 AM »
I find this bike pretty easy to get it up (easy boys!) on the center stand but there are things to make it even easier such as putting down a piece of 1x4 board and driving the rear tire up on it. Having that extra 3/4" makes putting it on the center stand a snap.

And girls?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »
And girls?
Might have to refer to the other thread that was talking about lube that stops squeaks and squeals.  :-[

sailor_chic

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 06:56:39 AM »
 :o

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »
Generally, the only time you need to center stand the bike is when performing maintenance (the side stand is more stable for general use).  Will you be performing one-armed maintenance too??
I store/park mine in my garage & always put it on the center stand. With it on the center stand the weight is not on the tires & suspension which in the long run is a good thing  :chugbeer:   
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »
I store/park mine in my garage & always put it on the center stand. With it on the center stand the weight is not on the tires & suspension which in the long run is a good thing  :chugbeer:

Well, much of the same weight will still be on the FRONT tire and suspension when using the center stand, it only elevates the rear of the bike (good question as to how much, that would be some insane geometry calculations).  But I hadn't thought of that (or heard of that) before.... I wouldn't think that should matter, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »
Well, much of the same weight will still be on the FRONT tire and suspension when using the center stand, it only elevates the rear of the bike

I'm fairly certain that zarticus has a point, how important it is...ehhh ~~~ (<---- those are the symbols {tilde} I use for "so-so debatable") but he is right.  Max, if you had two friends standing on either side of the bike just to keep it vertical...think you could lift the front wheel off the ground by reaching down and pulling up on the wheel? Kinda doubtful, I know I couldn't. Then put the bike on the center stand and send your friends home, now reach down and lift up the front wheel until the back one touches the ground..see that ...no math/geometry calculations needed. Clearly there is less weight on both wheels and suspension when it's on the center stand. I know you knew that, but your keyboard got in the way and clouded your judgement. ??? 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 05:39:33 AM »
see that ...no math/geometry calculations needed. Clearly there is less weight on both wheels and suspension when it's on the center stand. I know you knew that, but your keyboard got in the way and clouded your judgement. ???

My keyboard typed that it it would be less ("much of") weight on the front, and it will be, and that I don't know by how much without doing a lot of math, and that is still true.  I see nothing inaccurate or clouded.  And I also said I am not sure that reducing the weight on either matters... which you seem to agree with ("~~~").

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
Long term storage I put it up on the center stand. But since I ride year round and the bike seldom goes more than a week without being ridden, I only use the center stand for maintenance.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »
Long term storage I put it up on the center stand. But since I ride year round and the bike seldom goes more than a week without being ridden, I only use the center stand for maintenance.

+1

@petepro: maybe your "solution" would be to use the side stand for a while, until your hand gets better.
Even with my previous comment about not needing much force on the left hand (I did the experiment and grabbed the left grip of the handlebar only with the thumb and index fingers, and I still got it up fairly easy on the centre stand), if something goes wrong while trying to do it, your reflex will be to try and catch the bike and you might hurt yourself.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.