Author Topic: Neotec question - boom mic or wired mic??  (Read 5852 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Neotec question - boom mic or wired mic??
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:38:20 AM »
So I'm coming due for a new helmet, I've always worn Arai Corsair's but am intrigued by the Neotec...

Question for ya'll...

I have the Scala G4, and for the Arai's I run a wired mic, for the Neotec can you run a wired mic or will it not work because the front face lift?

If you use a boom mic does it tuck into the chin and raise up with the front face? Or do you have to always tuck it back inside everytime you open/close the front face??

Offline RBX QB

Re: Neotec question - boom mic or wired mic??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
Open or modular = boom mic. Otherwise, if you ride with the lid up, your mic is at your eyebrows. In addition, not sure if the wire from speaker to mic is long enough to allow for that kind of travel distance. It wouldn't work with my radios.

If the Neotec is shaped anything like my dad's Nolan 103, you'll be tweaking the boom location every time you close the face.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
Use a wire...boom mics are always in the way.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »
Use a wire...boom mics are always in the way.

CB,
Do you have the Neotec and run a wired mic? Does the wired mic have enough room to reach even with the front face open? An issues with the cord getting bunched up or pinched when face is closed?

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »
What's wrong with the old helmet? Oh you just want to buy something this week right?  ;D You should check out the helmets with Bluetooth built in.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
What's wrong with the old helmet? Oh you just want to buy something this week right?  ;D You should check out the helmets with Bluetooth built in.

Nothing wrong with my current lid but it's about 6 years old now. I already have the Scala G4 powerset for me and mama that has all my blue tooth functionallity and more, so I definately want to keep using the G4.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
I prefer the boom mic, never had an issue with my Nolan and I still use the boom in my X12.  When it's not in use I tuck it forward and when in use it's in the kiss mode.
I bet yer at odds as to what color to get, right? ;)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
Boom, Multitec basically same design and boom works fine.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
I have a boom mic that I use with my Bell Revolver and 99% of the time it is tucked up by my left cheek pad.  I had to adjust it so it was closer to my mouth, once while talking to my dad at 90 mph with my windshield all the way down.  At normal riding speeds there is no issue with the mic being up by my cheek.  But I use a Sena which IIRC uses more noise canceling technology than the G4.  I could be wrong though.

The Sena only comes in one color scheme.............gloss black/flat black.  Sounds like Jay needs to check it out.   ;D

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies Jeremy, Chet, and TJ.  :chugbeer:

Chet,
Is "kiss" mode meaning it's up against your mouth? I've always had Arai's and they do fit very close to the face, definately too close for a boom mic to fit in there without touching your mouth, which would totally anoy me, is the Neotec the same as far a too close for clearance between mouth and boom mic?

TJ,
Do you have to adjust the boom mic everytime you raise/lower the front face of the Multitec? I don't know alot about the Multitec but does it have that chin gaurd like the Neotec? If so, did you remove it?

Jeremy,
Yes, the G4 also has that noise cancelling thing, with the mic positioned up closer to your check can folks still hear you ok? When in that position can you open/close the front face without any issues/re-adjusting the boom mic?

I'm on the phone alot for work when riding, so I definately do use the mic, hence why this is an important thing to know for me before deciding on a new lid. The things I like about the Neotec is really 2 things, I like the flip down tinted section, I always use a tinted shield, but constantly have to swap back and fourth in the winter for things like darkness, rain, fog, etc, so I see this as a nice feature. The 2nd is the flip up face feature, I chew (ya, I already know, so don't lecture me), I see this as a nice option to put in new or spit out old without having to take the entire helmet off, or to spit at a light etc. 

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »
So every time you want to spit you will have to remember to move the boom mic.
Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 07:15:13 PM »
So every time you want to spit you will have to remember to move the boom mic.

Well, ideally I would use the wired mic, I don't see me ever riding with the front face in the up position, so having the mic out of reach for talking in that position is not a concern for me... Just not sure if the wired mic will work on the Neotec...  :-\

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
Yep, kiss mode means if ya pucker yer lips it's touching.
Don't know about you but when I'm riding I rarely need to spit the chaw so the mic never gets in the way. 
Quick question, how effective are your calls when your'e riding?  I tried a few times and although hearing and being heard was never an issue I always felt that rider awareness was being compromised.  I'll keep the phone in the top clear pouch of the tank bag, easy enough to see who called and if needed I can pull over and return the call.  What happens when a distracted rider comes into close quarters with a distracted teenager/soccer mom/cager?  Nothing good for sure.
Off my soap box ( not sure why I was there as you do ride the slow black bike :o ) :-X

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »
Yep, kiss mode means if ya pucker yer lips it's touching.
Don't know about you but when I'm riding I rarely need to spit the chaw so the mic never gets in the way. 
Quick question, how effective are your calls when your'e riding?  I tried a few times and although hearing and being heard was never an issue I always felt that rider awareness was being compromised.  I'll keep the phone in the top clear pouch of the tank bag, easy enough to see who called and if needed I can pull over and return the call.  What happens when a distracted rider comes into close quarters with a distracted teenager/soccer mom/cager?  Nothing good for sure.
Off my soap box ( not sure why I was there as you do ride the slow black bike :o ) :-X

I hear ya Chet, trust me I'm not taking calls while railing through corners out riding with my bro's, I'm referring to commute rides to/from work...

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »
I used the wired mic in a Multitec.  There's no reason it shouldn't work with the Neotec.

Offline dion40

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 07:31:01 AM »
ZG, I have the neotec and sena smh10 with the wired boom mic, not the one that comes with the sena. The one that came with it interfered with the internal visor switch and the modular movement. I bought the wired boom mic and ran inside the helmet, mounted it behind the left cheek pad and now looks like it's an oem accessory for the neotec. Only downside is you have to move the mic when opening and closing the helmet but once you get used to it, but you can do it with one hand. I will try and take a pic later.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
So I just went down to my local shop and completely pulled apart the insides of one of their Neotec's, I see no way possible (without drilling which I will not do) to run a wired mic in this helment that wouldn't somehow get pinched by opening/closing the front face...  :(

Back to research I guess...  :-\

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
Yes, I had to remove the chin guard in order to use the boom mic.  My screen does a good job with wind but it may be quieter with it in place.  I use a Pinlock so fogging is no issue.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
Jeremy,
Yes, the G4 also has that noise cancelling thing, with the mic positioned up closer to your check can folks still hear you ok? When in that position can you open/close the front face without any issues/re-adjusting the boom mic?

I have taken quite a few calls on my way home from work and the person I was talking to didn't even know I was on my motorcycle.  So yes, I would say that they understood me just fine. 

No issues readjusting the boom mic when opening or closing the flip up face.  I will say that the boom mic does interfere with the switch for the drop down visor, but I don't use mine anyway since I like to have a full tint shield when I am riding during daylight hours.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline dion40

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 01:24:49 PM »
Here are some blurry images of how I set my neotec up with the smh10. I still have the chin guard in place and its very easy to open and close with one hand. I have talked to people with the short summer shield on my bike going 80 without a problem. I also use a set of shure headphones with this as well.