Author Topic: 2 Bros Can Mounting  (Read 2211 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
2 Bros Can Mounting
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
For those of you pondering this farkle, here's what you'll run into, at least with a 2010/11.

Duh Good:
* Beautifully made (get the black carbon fiber one) with high quality hardware
* Huge weight savings! You won't believe how heavy the stock bazooka is until you wrestle it off and give yourself a hernia.
* Everything goes together the way it should . . . mostly. See below.
* Installation is easy, but see below.
* Great sound. Throaty but not annoyingly loud.
* Excellent packaging and included allen wrenches are high quality that I'm keeping instead of throwing away like I usually do
* Made in USA

Duh Not So Good
* Instructions have tiny photos and looks to be a photo copy. C'mon! It's 2011. They can do better.
* I'd give the instructions a 6 on a scale of 10. I used to do this step-x-step technical writing/editing for a living and this one is too brief, referring to details in photos you can hardly see and they omit a few obvious things. You can figure things out, but you shouldn't HAVE to.
* One missing bolt/nut, which surprised me --- and no, I didn't lose it --- it wasn't in the bag
* If you over-tighten the X-ring that holds the mid-pipe to the can, you will find out why you shouldn't do this when you go to install the unit --- the can will probably be in the wrong position.
* The missing bolt/nut plus the teeny photos made me miss installing the bracket which puts the can in the correct position. Without this bracket, the muffler is too close to the bag. I went back and redid it later, but the surprising thing was that the pipe installed just fine and looked right, without the bracket.
* The stock bolt that goes with this bracket is too big for the hole that 2Bros put in the bracket. I reamed it out to fit in about 3 minutes. No biggie if you have the tools, PITA if not.

Other Advice:
Install everything loose and don't tighten until everything is in place. Between opening the package, ooohhhing over the carbon fiber, reading the directions and looking for a magnifying glass for the photos, it'll take you 45 minutes to an hour. Take off the saddlebag as a first step.

Despite all the other comments about having to drill out the bracket hole for the centerstand bumper, I didn't have to. Just put it 3/4 in and then some persuasion with a screwdriver and it was done.

Worthwhile farkle! The bike seems more lively and I swear I can tell the difference in weight. The price is very reasonable for what you're getting. If you want it quieter, they sell inserts that damp it down without spoiling the tone.

Offline koval68

Re: 2 Bros Can Mounting
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »
No issues to report mounting Two Bros. on my 09. It was a 15 minutes job in my case, didn't bother reading instructions at all.
Good product, good value.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline madcap

• Only slightly nuts
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
Thanks for posting this - planning on mounting mine tonight, and looking forward to it now!
Anything you say, can and will be misquoted and used against you.

2009 CR14 - Red (ish)

Offline rip

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:53:13 PM »
* The stock bolt that goes with this bracket is too big for the hole that 2Bros put in the bracket. I reamed it out to fit in about 3 minutes. No biggie if you have the tools, PITA if not.

I had the same experience when I installed mine about a week ago.  I didn't have the correct tools to make the whole bigger so I used the next best thing....a hammer....works ever time!  ;)