Author Topic: Time to review your MC Coverages...  (Read 940 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Time to review your MC Coverages...
« on: April 09, 2022, 03:49:41 PM »
This is not about insurance pricing, but more to the accessory and ancillary coverages that are offered with your specific insurance...

For instance, I have Progressive and decided in review what I have with them...

Safety Riding apparel is a new one and offers $500 for riding gear.  Another is the normal Accessory coverage which is $3000 and the last is Carried Contents Coverage.  I'm thinking of upping the Safety Riding apparel to at least 2k.  Accessory coverage is way too small.  Carried contents I guess is what is in the cases and such, could also be the phone.  Have to check with Progressive on some of this..  I'll edit this with what I come up with....

What kind of coverages do ya'll have?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Time to review your MC Coverages...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 11:10:11 PM »
What kind of coverages do ya'll have?

I just looked at State Farm info.  No mention of any of that stuff you list, just the standard stuff:

Liability 100,000/300,000
Property damage 50,000
Deductible other than collision 100
Collision deductible 200
Uninsured vehicle injury 100,000/300,000

$247/yr

Maybe there is mention in the booklet thing that sometimes comes with the bill, but I don't have one.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 04:36:11 AM »
Does your insurance say anything about accessories?  Don't assume that it does if not stated in the policy.  In documenting what I've done to the bike, I can certainly see I've done close to 10k or more in total accessories of which I may not be totally covered for based on what I'm reading Progressive carries for a MC.  Not sure if the C14 can match what you can do with a modern US bike as far as money pitting.  But if you've added a seat, exhaust, or other things it does add up.

As for riding gear, my helmet with Sena exceeds the paltry $500 Progressive gives for the riding gear coverage and that doesn't include my wife's gear.  How much have you put into riding gear, especially if riding two up?  Think about it.

What about your phone or gps accessories?  That's a question I need to ask Progressive myself.  Is that an 'accessory' especially if it's mounted to the bike?

Seriously folks, take an inventory and document what you carry and have put into the bike.  Take pictures and put them in a place other than your phone for proof of what is on the bike.

Insurance companies don't like to pay out but they have no choice if you have documentation.   

I also bought an umbrella policy for $1,000,000 in liability which wasn't that much in cost and covers my bike, cars, and home.

I don't like paying insurance as much as the next person but I would like to get back close to what I've put in if something happens.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 05:44:05 AM »
Coverage for pillions should be checked.  If it is optional it's worth the additional cost. My wife spent 5 days in the ICU after our 2020 motorcycle crash - Dairyland covered it all - no deductibles that our regular health insurance would have left for us to pay. If there's an accident and the pillion is a friend, co-worker, cocktail waitress, whatever, it could be a life altering event since the chance for serious, unrecoverable injuries or death is comparatively high.
If one ever gives another person a ride - even a short ride once in a blue moon it would be incredibly risky not to have. Maybe policies now are different and pillions are covered - I've been with the same plan for decades. It's worth checking and it's certainly worth the expense

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 05:57:05 AM »
Thanks for that tip...will check on that as well.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »
Yup. I believe progressive covers a basic upto $3K for custom parts/accessories in their comprehensive. You need to let them know if you need more coverage... upto 30k. But with a bike worth less than 3k it's not a matter for me per say. They also have a addition "content" coverage for things like cellphone (belongings), that may get damaged in a collision.

Medical coverage covers passengers in all vehicle policies...as far as I know.