Author Topic: Supply chain crap just got real  (Read 1966 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Supply chain crap just got real
« on: December 06, 2021, 06:33:20 PM »
Connie is overdue for an oil change. Neither of my usual sources, Auto Zone and Wal Mart had any Rotella. 
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Supply chain crap just got real
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 04:49:18 AM »
Gonna have to use a-n-other oil then.
I don't think your bike is going to explode if you use a different oil. <LOL>
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 07:33:47 AM »
Use a quality oil for this one time and go back to your standard for the next. Or once you get the Rotella, do another change, even if it isn't time.

But yes, this whole thing stinks.

My buddy ordered a 36" wide dual fuel range (electric/Nat gas) and we tore apart his kitchen in April as the range was supposed to be in 2 weeks later and the cabinets were almost ready. He found out a week later that the range would not even be made until Sept. He talked to the store he was buying through and they contacted GE and GE agreed to send a basic 30" gas range over as a loaner until the new one comes. Sept comes around and no word on when the new range will be here so my buddy calls around and finds an Italian range that is another 50% more, but there is one in Los Angeles. After mulling over the additional cost for a few weeks, they decide to pull the trigger and place the order. The shop calls down to LA to have the unit shipped up and finds out that it sold 30 minutes earlier to another customer. So, here we are in December and he still has the loaner and no idea when either the GE or the Italian one will ship.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 02:24:37 PM »
I went online shopping for oil. Nearest motorcycle shop is 45 miles away and the weather was crappy. Only Rotella T6 I could find was a case of 3 gallon jugs for $199! A gallon of most of the motorcycle oils averaged about $80! I settled on some Maxima Pro Plus Synth for $45. That was on Amazon Prime with free shipping. I bought two gallons because I need to change the oil in my BMW R1200 RT as well.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 06:15:34 AM »

The break in the supply chain issue has been real for months already, some may say a year.  Certain things are not as easy to get as they used to be.  I'm in the market to buy a new truck, but there is no inventory available for what I want, so I ordered one in October.  The dealer indicates it might be in by Christmas. 

This subject belongs in the Open Forum.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 07:06:51 AM »
Your wish is my command...engage!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 07:59:33 AM »
hold on, wait a minute here. You mean we gotta change the oil in these things? ;D Sorry, Couldn't resist, knew this 2 months ago and got some at Auto Zone, $29. Some said online at Wal-Mart for much less, again, this was 2 months ago, doubt it's out there now. So, I would say, hit the stores every day or on the days they get deliveries, know someone that can set a side a jug for you, get away from population centers to find a better selection, use a different oil, I found no shortages at all in regards to bike specific oils.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 05:58:35 PM »
My local Wally World had 2 gallons of T-6. Now I'm all set for about 6 months !
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 08:33:42 PM »
i just ordered 2 x 4 liter bottles of Motul 5100 from Amazon. Ordered it last night... arrived this morning
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 07:02:46 AM »
Quick, hoard all the oil before those doing winter servicing use it all up!  ::)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 07:22:28 AM »
8 Walmarts within 30 minutes of me have Rotella T6 in stock.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 04:28:42 AM »
I scored 2.5 gallons at Tractor Supply. There's a large Chevrolet dealership nearby with a paved 3 acre parking lot which used to be crammed with cars, suvs, pickups and vans. Last time I rode by there were half a dozen vehicles in that lot. There's a growing collection out back of vehicles waiting for parts.
There's something larger than supply chain or chip shortages going on.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 09:09:45 AM »
My nephew works as a new car salesman for a MAJOR Ohio dealer network. They converted their new car showrooms to used car showrooms. Severe limits on new car selections, options, colors, HUGE price markups on new car prices due to what they are calling "scarcity premiums", thousands over sticker. Essentially, you can't order anything and you have to buy what they have, basically white fleet vehicles. No word of this anywhere in the media here, nothing, nada, crickets.....They say chips, not sure, don't know, can't prove it, but it does seem a bit strange that every single car maker would put all their money and effort and life blood into one single maker who has one single factory that if something went wrong would alter the car maker landscape for years to come.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 10:16:43 AM »
it does seem a bit strange that every single car maker would put all their money and effort and life blood into one single maker who has one single factory that if something went wrong would alter the car maker landscape for years to come.

+100 - These are Fortune 500 organizations with entire departments devoted to Disaster Planning, Redundancy, Loss Control and Supply Issues (particularly with the 'Just In Time' concept), yet they locked into ONE over seas supplier?

In mid 2020 we faced issues due to foreign dependencies for supply of masks and other critical supplies.

We as a nation need to wake up and get more domestically focused on generating our own core products and resources to protect our nation and our economy.

Otherwise we are at the mercy of other nations with their own interests in mind, who may or may not be inclined to bend to our needs, particularly if they are on the other side of a conflict driving those needs, may be need of those medical, military or medical, military or produced goods themselves, or have a higher bidder.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »
Will check some other area wal marts next time. My Wal Mart seems to be having staffing problems. Unopened boxes are filling up the aisles. But it looked like Autozone is replacing the Rotella line with a new STP line.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
I've seen other places starting to replace known brands with either their own or other known brands they never stocked before. I think this will be a growing trend the next year or so.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 02:30:36 AM »
Y'all wanna come over here and try it. We have a double whammy of Covid induced supply line shortages coupled with our incompetent governments and companies inability to plan for the changes caused by Brexit.
For now it's just a restriction of choice but occasionally you will get localised stock issues and something will just not be available anywhere for a day or 2. It gets scary when it's things like bread, flour, and milk.
Better still, even more restrictions to the UKs international trade come into effect on the 1st Jan 2022, so it's gonna get worse before it gets better.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 07:00:54 AM »
"I've seen other places starting to replace known brands with either their own or other known brands they never stocked before."
Back in the 1970's and earlier used motor oil was filtered and processed  "refreshed" and sold to undiscriminating motorists as accurately labeled.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 02:48:23 PM »
My nephew works as a new car salesman for a MAJOR Ohio dealer network. They converted their new car showrooms to used car showrooms. Severe limits on new car selections, options, colors, HUGE price markups on new car prices due to what they are calling "scarcity premiums", thousands over sticker. Essentially, you can't order anything and you have to buy what they have, basically white fleet vehicles. No word of this anywhere in the media here, nothing, nada, crickets.....They say chips, not sure, don't know, can't prove it, but it does seem a bit strange that every single car maker would put all their money and effort and life blood into one single maker who has one single factory that if something went wrong would alter the car maker landscape for years to come.

I recently saw Ford and Chevy television commercials that say you need to go to their websites and order your new truck/car with the options you want.  They indicate that special orders will get priority.   Anyone else see those commercials?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »
I haven't seen it on the DC area stations yet.  I also heard that Ford was not accepting any more orders for their electric trucks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.