Author Topic: Popping when engine braking  (Read 15492 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Popping when engine braking
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 06:10:20 AM »
Does anyone have a picture or diagram as to the exact location of this hose and any ideas of a suitable plug or ways to block this hose off? Thanks

on the zx14 it was the only hose going into top right of air box. Hose one of one. Can't see it being different on these bikes and impossible not to find.  Remove hose, shove anything into hole. That didn't sound right
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 06:54:58 AM »
You can always use the fred flintstone method. I believe this is taut is Harley's Riders Edge course

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 07:23:36 AM »
There's a picture on the holeshot site, it's hard to get to, you need some long needle nose pliars because you can't get to it with fingers. When finished, spray some armor-all or such on the grommet and hose and it will insert easier.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
You can always use the fred flintstone method. I believe this is taut is Harley's Riders Edge course

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »
Does anyone have a picture or diagram as to the exact location of this hose and any ideas of a suitable plug or ways to block this hose off? Thanks

In all of that excitement, one question was lost.....almost. Sorry friend, I don't have any, but I'm sure someone will help you shortly.
Ohh, almost forgot.....you can call me a Newbie, I like the idea of engine braking and saving those brake pads,too!

No, it wasn't lost. I posted what was needed WAY back in post #4.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »
All fine and well Conrad but do you ever use the anchor? Why do you think the anchor is on the bike in the first place? Don't you watch cartoons- they always use an anchor.

Brian

An anchor you say? Hmmm, in all the cartoons that I watch they used an Acme anvil. Do you think one of those would work ok? I'll bet that I can get it chromed and be the envy of all who see it.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 09:35:45 AM »
There's a picture on the holeshot site, it's hard to get to, you need some long needle nose pliars because you can't get to it with fingers. When finished, spray some armor-all or such on the grommet and hose and it will insert easier.

I have had good luck with windex since it will evaporate and still help you slide the hose on. 

If all else fails just use some astroglide and jam it in.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »
That is just silly- why would you even think of using an anvil?

The anchor is in case the rocket is too fast or burns too long after the Wiley coyote lights it. He throws the anchor out and it digs into the highway. Of course the rocket overpowers it and drags it all over the countryside but that never made me think that it was a bad idea, just that the anchor wasn't big enough.

Brian

An anchor you say? Hmmm, in all the cartoons that I watch they used an Acme anvil. Do you think one of those would work ok? I'll bet that I can get it chromed and be the envy of all who see it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:03:51 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
That is just silly- why would you even think of using an anchor?

The anchor is in case the rocket is too fast or burns too long after the Wiley coyote lights it. He throws the anchor out and it digs into the highway. Of course the rocket overpowers it and drags it all over the countryside but that never made me think that it was a bad idea, just that the anchor wasn't big enough.

Brian

I bet the ACME anchor is why it didn't work.  You throw out a good quality boat anchor and you will have much more favorable results.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 09:55:06 AM »
NO, NO, NO Ya'll got it wrong. There's no need to carry a heavy boat anchor, Just do as the welders do. Carry an extra long electrode lead. When you need to stop just throw some out. It's guarenteed to get tangled on something. ;D Ya better hold on when ya hit the end of that lead though. ;)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »
I think that I've found what Wile-e-Coyote's problem is.

Ain't no way he'd gonna catch that Roadrunner on that thing. He looks good though.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »
I don't know where you got that photo of Cap'n Bob but I think it is in very poor taste to make fun of him that way. Maybe the best bike he could afford only had two cylinders and runs with a distinct skip....

;D

Brian

I think that I've found what Wile-e-Coyote's problem is.

Ain't no way he'd gonna catch that Roadrunner on that thing. He looks good though.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »
I don't know where you got that photo of Cap'n Bob but I think it is in very poor taste to make fun of him that way. Maybe the best bike he could afford only had two cylinders and runs with a distinct skip....

;D

Brian

I did say that he was lookin good, maybe that was in his younger years?

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »
In all seriousness, I admit that if your riding at 100% then engine braking is slow and inefficient but what are you doing riding 100% on the open road? That and no one has ever proven to me that engine braking is actually hard on the engine when it is done within reason.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
In all seriousness, I admit that if your riding at 100% then engine braking is slow and inefficient but what are you doing riding 100% on the open road? That and no one has ever proven to me that engine braking is actually hard on the engine when it is done within reason.

Engine braking is good........engine breaking is bad!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »
Engine braking is good........engine breaking is bad!!!!! :thumbs:
I say ?Que no los dos?(why not both) Taco shell commercials...anyway... These bikes do have a slipper clutch for a reason, to prevent lock-up. Now this should not be a reason to drop down from 8 or 9k and test the slipper every time we want to slow down.

Indeed, yes we could use the brakes for every speed correction requiring deceleration. We could also buy brake pads by case as well as clean the ever living sh*t out of our bikes from the brake dust every time we go out.

Now let there be the average, rational person that has the ability to downshift at a reasonable rpm while smoothly applying both brakes in order to stop. Or to possibly use appropriate gearing in such situations as heavy traffic or downhill, where it is quite easy and reliable to shift into a gear that is more natural at attaining your desired speed instead of a constant off/on braking/throttle event.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »
Good thing I am rational.....at least that is what me myself and I say.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2011, 10:43:44 PM »
I did install a PCV today, and it does seem as though the popping went away. I was going to plug the tube as well, but it was just too nice of a day...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2011, 05:15:06 AM »
I bet the ACME anchor is why it didn't work.  You throw out a good quality boat anchor and you will have much more favorable results.

Are you implying that ACME anchor quaility isn't what it should be? It's an ACME, none better! 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:23:11 AM by Conrad »