Author Topic: What is the most comfortable tire?  (Read 33170 times)

Offline tomp

Re: What is the most comfortable tire?
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 10:33:55 AM »
That was my suggestion too, here (at bottom): http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18874.msg232249#msg232249

I just wish it came in pill form :(

There used to kinda be, decades ago.  They were Black Mollies, Yellow Jackets and California Turn Arounds.  Never did any, but knew many who did.  Just speeding away, they would say.  There was Crank too, if unlike me, you had no aversions to needles and killing yourself to just to get a rush..  Guess the right thingto do is physically make the body move more than it lazily desires... :P
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Yep, you can't wait till you find time to go to the gym, you make time to go to the gym. It ain't easy, but it IS worth it...
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
You're absolutely right about the gym.  I think I'll start driving by one every day.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 07:57:13 PM »
I agree Jim.  It wears me out just watching the exercise machine ads on TV.  Anyone who believes the person on the star climber  lost 105 lbs by just being on the machine for 14 minutes, three times a week, deserves to spend the ridiculous money for one, that will all too soon become a clothes hanger location.........I was into weights and the gym for years, and saw such LITTLE change and improvement, I moved on to other things.  Not sure what they were, but I know I did...... According to Frank Sinatra, I'm in the autumn years of my life.  The winter years ahead, scare the living ch*t out of me......tp

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 08:08:21 PM »
I try to go 4 or 5 times a week. I'm getting older and started getting a little thick through the middle, as have most of my friends.  That and general aches and pains had me eating over the counter pain meds like M&M's. Found that since I started working out, I hurt less and I just feel better.  But that's just one man's experience.....

God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2015, 08:15:52 PM »
I find that alcohol helps tremendously..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2015, 08:25:44 PM »
I find that alcohol helps tremendously..
I agree but let's not go there.  When I graduated high school, I weighed 118LBS.  I was one skinny MF.  47 years and a life time later, now I'm at almost 200 lbs.  Not fat, but no longer skinny.  It's the aerobic aspects that are tough now.  Get winded way too fast.  Hard to get better, without going overboard, which I always seem to do....tp

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2015, 08:34:42 PM »
I was 160.  I'll never see that again.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2015, 08:42:46 PM »
I was 160.  I'll never see that again.

We are destroying this thread... but what the hell.  My diet is going well, lost 8.5 pounds over the last three weeks and 1.5" so I am down to 148.  Mostly by eating much less, since exercise is just too much work (although I am trying, really I am).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2015, 09:03:15 PM »
Max, I believe that all we know about soft tires has been brought to light, why not use this thread to further inform one another of what can be done to create a better ride?  But lose weight or exercise, just ain't gonna happen for me.  FWIW, I like the feel of my C14, until I hit a hidden pot hole.  Man, that really hurts....tp

elp_jc

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 01:44:05 AM »
I am down to 148.
Hey, may I ask you what pressures you're running your tires, and also what suspension settings? I'm running 40/42 F/R, and stock suspension settings. Bike is a bit harsher than my BMW was (with the softest electronic suspension settings), so have to get on my toes (1" off the seat) on my bumpy street, but bike feels good. Haven't taken a ride to the twisties yet, but since we're almost the same weight, just wondering.  Seems like compression damping is a bit on the hard side, but there's no adjustment for that. Maybe less preload and/or rebound damping could tame it a bit, but don't want to touch it much until I can experience it on a trip. And same goes for seat, secondary TBs, bars, pegs, etc. As a side comment, brakes are awesome on this bike; basically the same as the top-shelf Brembo radial monoblocks on my ex-RT. Thx.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2015, 06:08:55 AM »
Yep, you can't wait till you find time to go to the gym, you make time to go to the gym. It ain't easy, but it IS worth it...

I have my own gym downstairs so I have no excuses at all.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2015, 06:27:35 AM »
We are destroying this thread... but what the hell.  My diet is going well, lost 8.5 pounds over the last three weeks and 1.5" so I am down to 148.  Mostly by eating much less, since exercise is just too much work (although I am trying, really I am).

Hmmm, I must have found it for you.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 06:51:40 AM »
Hey, may I ask you what pressures you're running your tires, and also what suspension settings?

I always run 42psi per the manual.  My bike is lowered 1" front and rear.  I have no idea what the settings are set to right now.   I only looked into the stuff when I first got the bike and my friend helped some based on what I was telling him about how it cornered.  The bike handles corners well, although it wants to right itself (stand up) a little more than I would want.  The ride is not bad, although not as soft as I would want.  I am not knowledgeable about suspension setup  but I probably need softer springs at a minimum.  I would reduce the preload, but I believe that will end up raising the bike, which I simply can't tolerate.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2015, 10:41:26 AM »
Hey, may I ask you what pressures you're running your tires, and also what suspension settings? I'm running 40/42 F/R, and stock suspension settings. Bike is a bit harsher than my BMW was (with the softest electronic suspension settings), so have to get on my toes (1" off the seat) on my bumpy street, but bike feels good. Haven't taken a ride to the twisties yet, but since we're almost the same weight, just wondering.  Seems like compression damping is a bit on the hard side, but there's no adjustment for that. Maybe less preload and/or rebound damping could tame it a bit, but don't want to touch it much until I can experience it on a trip. And same goes for seat, secondary TBs, bars, pegs, etc. As a side comment, brakes are awesome on this bike; basically the same as the top-shelf Brembo radial monoblocks on my ex-RT. Thx.

elp j_c,
You can't accurately judge the bike suspension, air pressures or riding qualities until you 86 the wooden 021's and get a proper "sag set" done by someone that's done sag sets before- I had mine done by a veteran WERA competitor, and it makes a world of difference. I prefer PR's with 42 psi front and 44 psi rear and somewhat small rebound, but I'm 210 lbs. If I ride double, I tighten up the rear damper a couple of clicks. 

elp_jc

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 12:30:35 PM »
I would reduce the preload, but I believe that will end up raising the bike, which I simply can't tolerate.
Thank you for your input Maxtog; appreciate it (and you too Connie14boy ;)). On the preload, it's actually the opposite, so you know. Increasing preload raises the bike. I want to take the bike to a trip first and see what kind of cornering clearance it has. If I can swing it, might lower preload a little both front and back. But don't want to do it at the expense of cornering clearance... if I happen to need it. My first trip is going to answer a lot of questions. Can't wait.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
Thank you for your input Maxtog; appreciate it (and you too Connie14boy ;)). On the preload, it's actually the opposite, so you know. Increasing preload raises the bike.

I told you, I know little about bike suspension- which is one reason I tend to either leave it alone or just do what my friend tells me to do.  Some day I hope to get with someone who can just fix it all for me :)

Offline tomp

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »
I told you, I know little about bike suspension- which is one reason I tend to either leave it alone or just do what my friend tells me to do.  Some day I hope to get with someone who can just fix it all for me :)

Here's what Keith Code has to say about setting sag.  The comments below the video are mostly stupid, because they have no idea who the presenter is.  He is simplifying the process for us dummies, yet he is being very complete..... tp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4m4ahZLRMY

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2015, 04:57:38 AM »
I agree but let's not go there.  When I graduated high school, I weighed 118LBS.  I was one skinny MF.  47 years and a life time later, now I'm at almost 200 lbs.  Not fat, but no longer skinny.

118 lb? Dude, you WERE a skinny MF! I was 190 lbs when I graduated high school, with no fat. I'm now sitting around 225 lbs, and could stand to lose 5-7 pounds, but it's nbd. I haven't been to a gym since my crash late last summer, but I plan to dig back into it again soon...lol.

Rem.

I find the C14 stock suspension plenty soft, but then again, it sounds like I'm quite a bit heavier than some of you guys. There is no doubt that aftermarket suspension products are very very nice....I've had a couple Ohlins shocks before, but the Connie is soft enough for me as is;).

Back to the OP...good luck with the tire PSI's!

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
Two years ago I was at 178, and had been at 178 for years.  One thing led to another and the dr put me on testosterone injections.  My entire body hurt, for months. I almost gave it up, several times.   The dr kept laughing and said, "Stick with it....you'll see."

Anyway, after 6 months, I weighed 205. I ended up havign to get smaller pants, and larger shirts.  I feel like I understand how Sylvester Stallone can look so good at 95 years of age...

Tire comfort?  I knwo one thing I dont care for. The sport tires, soft compound.  Something like a Michelin Pilot Power vs Pilot road.

The Pilot Power front has a triangle shape to it.  Bike just falls into turns.  For me, and for the street, give me the rounded profile like the pr2, 3 or 4 has.