Author Topic: bung in my [zx14] header?  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Rocket Therapy

bung in my [zx14] header?
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:10:44 PM »
I'm going to be installing a zx14 header on my 12 Connie and was wondering where the best position was to weld a bung into it for later use of a O2 sensor. I appreciate any and all help.

John
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:44:31 AM by maxtog »

Offline harry76

• Arena
Re: bung in my [zx14] header?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 02:31:14 AM »
You want it in the  collector as close as possible to where all 4 pipes merge.
I have a thread about my winter project install of a ZX14 pipe on my bike that has a good picture.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:15:00 AM »
Here's a link to harry76's winter project: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19051.0
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:11:37 AM »
thanks for the replies, I do know where to put the bung in the header but was wondering about the position of the bung, sorry should've made myself more clear.  I did find a pic on a zx forum and thinking I should have the same clearance. I wanteg to get the bung welded in before I tore the plastics off, trying to get a jump on the job. Anyone else have any pics of their welds  they want to share.

sorry I didn't mean to post two pics, I couldn't figure out how to get one of them off

thanks
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:08:10 AM by VirginiaJim »

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »
Well I welded the bung in my header same place where the ZX 14 bung is in the picture not the best job I've ever done but I guarantee you one thing it's not going to fall out. Now to mod the extra center stand I bought

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
I've been looking for a thread about the modified center stand I can't seem to find it I'm thinking I need to weld 3 inches on to the center stand arm to clear the left side mid pipe can anybody verify that?

thanks in advance

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:20:59 AM »
I've been looking for a thread about the modified center stand I can't seem to find it I'm thinking I need to weld 3 inches on to the center stand arm to clear the left side mid pipe can anybody verify that?

thanks in advance

First post of this thread: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2360.msg27062#msg27062

Quote from: Kiwi Graham
I have removed the centre stand and am in the process of extending the foot tang so it will clear the left hand intermediate pipe. This requires an 80mm extension. A simple cut and add job making sure you re-enforce the joint with an insert.

The side stand will also touch the intermediate pipe. To cure this I simply stuck a 5 gram self adhesive wheel balancing weight to the face of the side stand stop (where the two surfaces touch when folded up) this will keep the stand just off the pipe when up.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:04 AM »
Thanks Pope

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 02:39:40 PM »
can someone tell me for sure what fairings I need to remove to remove the header, it looks like in the service manual the lower fairing the rear middle fairing needs to be removed to remove the front middle fairing. can someone tell me if that is correct

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 06:36:27 AM »
ok I'll try to refrain from asking dumb questions like what fairings do I need to pull off to pull the header pipe. the search button is my friend and it actually works pretty well even has pictures ;D  Anyway it was my first time I had to pull the fairings off of a motorcycle and I didn't know but all went well, about two and a half hours I had the lowers, middle, header pipe the muffler off and the header bolted back on with new gaskets and  new lock nuts. so in the process of all of this I am adding another 12 volt outlet on the left side of the dash, changing the engine oil, changing the final drive oil, cleaning the air filter and painting my radiator guard.  I'm putting on a 06 ZX 14 exhaust system because I like the looks of the dual exhaust and I don't want it to be too loud I know I'm adding a few pounds but it is something I can change later down the road. I painted the header black and the cans are polished stainless which I put on the bike and put the bags on to see what they would look like, they don't look bad but I'm going to scuff them up and paint satin black, I think they would look a whole lot better. so far the job has went smoothly but those lowers are a PITA !!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 07:13:25 AM »
Rocket, it sounds like you've got things going your way. Are the exhausts also '06?

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
yes they are  06 also they have the cats in

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »
Muzzy sells a very nice left side muffler hanger if you need one.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
yes they do, I bought one and have it on,  just put my first coat of paint on the cans

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 02:35:28 PM »
I don't know if anyone else used this paint system but I just spray my cans with it and I think it did an excellent job, easy to use easy cleanup. I would recommend it.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
a few pictures of the finished product deeper tone not too loud, I like it

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »
 :finger_fing11:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc