Author Topic: 3M Paint Defender Spray  (Read 15111 times)

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
3M Paint Defender Spray
« on: July 25, 2014, 06:15:45 AM »
I taped off my saddle bags and used 3M Paint Defender Spray on the tops and fronts last night.
Checked em out this morning and have PROOF - I shouldn't paint cars or motorcycles. :-[
Actually it doesn't look bad, I have a spot on each bag where It blotched a bit but over all's not bad.
Says it completely cures in one to four days so I wont wash or wax for a few days.
I just didn't want to cover the tops in non skid or something. Hopefully It will keep my boots from scratching them too much. I tried the actual 3M film from tank slapper but I couldn't make it stick on the contours.
http://3mauto.com/paint-defender-spray-film.html
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: 3M Paint Defender Spray
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:57:35 AM »
We can't make fun of a box. Show us the paint job.  ;)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:16:38 AM »
I bought that same kit but never used it after I saw 'Protects for One Year'. What happens then? Peel it off and re-apply?
I read that it does not come off easily.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
If you don't wax first then yes it will be harder to come off. Hence the the install kit you also should buy.
I will get a pic latter today.
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »
Too late for me. the right side case have been hit by my boots 1000's of times now. Now I mount the bike like a horse from the left peg. Wished I had done that from the beginning. No matter how careful I was I'd still hit it every 3rd or 4th time.

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »
In 45 years of riding, I don't think I've ever mounted from the throttle side

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »
I think that I have on occasion just to be different.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »
And as you see I'm obviously not at work :)   You can see a line right now I think that's from the wax and removing the tape. That should be a little less visible when I clean it up.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
In 45 years of riding, I don't think I've ever mounted from the throttle side

Me neither but it is the throttle side case that gets hit by my boot as I'm swinging it over the bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
Me neither but it is the throttle side case that gets hit by my boot as I'm swinging it over the bike.

There is the problem.  Don't attempt to swing your leg over the back of the bike and bags.  Simply face the seat from the left side, lift your right leg up bent at the knee, extend your foot forward and over the seat and then turn your body to face the front of the bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »
There is the problem.  Don't attempt to swing your leg over the back of the bike and bags.  Simply face the seat from the left side, lift your right leg up bent at the knee, extend your foot forward and over the seat and then turn your body to face the front of the bike.
If you sit down to pee you won't splash the toilet, either.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »

May be easy for you but I'm not as flexible as I used to be. Of course if I'm thinking about it and being careful I don't hit it. But when riding a long day and on and off I get lazy and must of hit the right case a 1000 times. Since mounting from the left peg I hit it much less often. But I don't really care that much. I bought the bike to ride and it has the miles and blemishes to prove it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 05:09:22 PM »
I mount the bike like a horse from the left peg.

+1...  :goodpost:

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 09:12:09 PM »

+1...  :goodpost:
+2  That would be the more correct way. We always mount horses from the left side. Does anyone know why?

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »
If you sit down to pee you won't splash the toilet, either.

Very true...  but getting on the toilet is a lot easier than on a bike, don't you think?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
May be easy for you but I'm not as flexible as I used to be.

That can be a factor.  I have more range of motion in my legs than many people do.  One of the few benefits of having shorter legs.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 07:30:08 AM »
You ballerinas need to work on your flexibility!   ;)

I'm only 5'5" and I have no problems lifting my leg high enough to clear the bike's seat and bags. If I have the backrest installed for my wife, that's a different story.  :-[
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
I bought that same kit but never used it after I saw 'Protects for One Year'. What happens then? Peel it off and re-apply?
I read that it does not come off easily.

I was told by a 3M employee when these launched that it may last a few years or more, but they have not had the product out long enough to test it any longer, hence the one year claim.  And he specifically said you gotta wax or it will not come off very nicely.

Got a kit of this sittin in the garage to try on this, just haven't done it yet lol.

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »
I have two cans of the stuff waiting in my garage for me to try, too, I'm definitely putting about 20 coats on the front lower and lower fairings, don't care if it's streaked, just want to keep the rock chips and tar from screwing the fairings up.

Those of you who are always banging their boots on the saddlebags, you might want to try mounting from the throttle side.  since the bike is then leaning downhill away from you, it's actually EASIER to get your leg over (takes a bit to get used to).  Most who have been through police motor officer training mount from the right side because 1) it looks cooler and 2) it keeps your firearm clear and accessible) 
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
3) They are also not mounting from the traffic side.