Author Topic: quietest slip on  (Read 16620 times)

Offline leisyman

Re: quietest slip on
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
LOVE my STAINTUNE!
beutiful polished stainless steel, quiet when highway riding, but wakes up nicely around 7k RPM

beautiful piece, too, very classy, compliments the classy bike ;D

From the website:
http://www.staintune.com.au
KA MS GTR 14 2008 Onwards Kawasaki GTR1400 Touring
Oval Sports Muffler Removable Restrictor PR Mirror
$700
I like it better without the restrictor

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:29:50 PM by leisyman »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
I've come close several times on buying an Area P slip on. But I'm still leery due to my experience with aftermarket exhaust on 2 other bikes. I could never get either one to run as well as with OEM exhaust. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 02:02:28 PM »
I've come close several times on buying an Area P slip on. But I'm still leery due to my experience with aftermarket exhaust on 2 other bikes. I could never get either one to run as well as with OEM exhaust.

Mine works just fine with the Area P slip on. No issues at all.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 02:07:50 PM »

Mine runs flawless.  I do have a PCV also though.
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
Mine runs flawless.  I do have a PCV also though.

Yup that's why I will probably eventually do it. The other 2 bikes were carbureted. One was a Valkyrie with 6 carbs and changing jets on that was a bitch. But the other was a VTX with a single carb easy to work on. I tried many different jets. I even tried a dial-a-jet http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm product and still could never get it to run as well as stock. But I'm thinking FI might make the difference. Does yours do the decel popping? The VTX did it bad. I blocked the pair valves which improved it greatly but did not eliminate it. If I do it I will probably send my ECU back to Ghul for another re-flash.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
Mine works just fine with the Area P slip on. No issues at all.

No add on fuel gadgets with my Area P either, bike runs great!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »
Yup that's why I will probably eventually do it. The other 2 bikes were carbureted. One was a Valkyrie with 6 carbs and changing jets on that was a bitch. But the other was a VTX with a single carb easy to work on. I tried many different jets. I even tried a dial-a-jet http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm product and still could never get it to run as well as stock. But I'm thinking FI might make the difference. Does yours do the decel popping? The VTX did it bad. I blocked the pair valves which improved it greatly but did not eliminate it. If I do it I will probably send my ECU back to Ghul for another re-flash.

I do get some minimal popping sometimes on closed throttle decel... Very minimal. I don't know if there is a map that completely rids it, but its soooo smooth way down low in the rpms in any gear that i'll take the minor popping here and there for the perfection everywhere else.
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline ugocon

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 01:37:50 AM »
I do get some minimal popping sometimes on closed throttle decel... Very minimal. I don't know if there is a map that completely rids it, but its soooo smooth way down low in the rpms in any gear that i'll take the minor popping here and there for the perfection everywhere else.
I do love the popping sound when decelerating: I would never attempt in any way to get rid of them!  :thumbs:
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2013, 04:54:12 AM »
I do love the popping sound when decelerating: I would never attempt in any way to get rid of them!  :thumbs:

+1 ;) I pluged that grey hose to get rid of most of the noise ( other riders unhappy with noise but now it's just right)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline redbraid

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
Had a stock pipe on my last bike all 14 years, first one to do that. Liked the fact that this bike was nice and quiet also but, that pipe is not the most attractive or light feat of engineering. Decided to get a slip on for looks, weight and sound. Delkevic seems to fit the bill. Not too loud, 13 lbs. lighter and looks way better than stock. Not willing to spend a huge amount on a pipe for what equates to a vanity purchase. I'm happy with it so far.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »
I am considering a slip on and a Guhl reflash.  I want the slip on for weight loss and power gain. I do NOT want louder. If I want loud, I wil ride my FZ1 with a Yosh CF, it makes heavenly sounds.  AreaP shows very nice dyno charts. It's very expensive!! 

Is it a bolt on?  I.E, no remapping required?  What about the combination of the Guhl and the AreaP?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
Remus Okami here.. No different n construction from the Hexacone, but composite end cap rather than carbon.. Pretty quiet even with the baffle out  8)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »
I am considering a slip on and a Guhl reflash.  I want the slip on for weight loss and power gain. I do NOT want louder. If I want loud, I wil ride my FZ1 with a Yosh CF, it makes heavenly sounds.  AreaP shows very nice dyno charts. It's very expensive!! 

Is it a bolt on?  I.E, no remapping required?  What about the combination of the Guhl and the AreaP?

Area P is not expensive at when compared to the majority of units out there available, but you do get what you pay for sometimes. It is a slip on, comes with a new mid pipe that replaces the enormous and heavy stock unit. No remapping of any kind is needed, and the Area P is very quiet compared to most.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »

If you think a possible ~2% power increase and ~2% weight loss is worth the effort and expense of muffler replacement (and likelihood that it will increase the noise-very likely) then go for it.  But the Guhl flash will make all the difference that matters, however.  Maybe some day I will do it too....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
The reflash or the noisy muffler replacement?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »
The reflash or the noisy muffler replacement?

I vote for both!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »

I vote for both!  :thumbs:
concur  :thumbs: do it Max

Offline Snype

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 02:59:59 AM »
Between the catalytic converter thread and this one, I am dwelling on an area P full re-pipe with a power commander.  Next year I'll be doing a lot of riding.. I'll have a 2 hour commute.  I am looking to clean up the rps and get a little better gas mileage. 

It's a rather expensive system.  The last time I did something lie this (to a honda shadow) it completely ruined teh performance and i had to return it to stock again. 

Input from the peanut gallery??

Snype

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2013, 03:42:24 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: as you can see we only have a popcorn gallery.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2013, 04:50:01 AM »
I'm a fan of the flash because it does NOT mess with Traction control and like I've said with four different sizes of reducers you can get a quiet bike . The cats do help reduce the sound also add restriction,  I believe I have the best of both with the ZX cat free headers and the smallest Power tip Two Brothers makes . The great thing about the ZX headers you can buy them CHEAP , lots of the  ZX crew spend the big $$2,000  on the Brock  exhaust and don't need or want their factory junk ;)  I wish we could have a real life Go Pro Y tube  clip to show the REAL life sound and power difference , I'm here ready If anyone ever comes by Naples Fl.   
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver