Author Topic: I need more power  (Read 31978 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: I need more power
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2012, 05:53:49 AM »
I think Kwak did do a good job in deciding how the bike mechanically and esthetically was brought to market.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be here discussing it.  I'd probably still be on my C10.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
I think Kwak did do a good job in deciding how the bike mechanically and esthetically was brought to market.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be here discussing it.  I'd probably still be on my C10.

I agree, that's why I'm riding one, while my C10 gathers dust.

However, I've lost count of the number of people who have told me they're interested in taking up riding, or getting back into it, and love the looks and ergos of the C14, but are too intimidated by its physical size.  When they hear its performance specs, they shake their heads and back away.  How many times have people on this forum stated that the C14 is not for the noobie rider?

Those people don't have much of a 'ready made' choice, other than taking a small sport bike and adding bags, fairing, windshield,  etc.  I suspect most of them end up with cruisers, or don't ride at all.  If I've missed something out there on the market, let me know, as I would really like to offer them suggestions.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »

Those people don't have much of a 'ready made' choice, other than taking a small sport bike and adding bags, fairing, windshield,  etc.  I suspect most of them end up with cruisers, or don't ride at all.  If I've missed something out there on the market, let me know, as I would really like to offer them suggestions.

Honda NC700 is a nice entry level bike but if you pay for Honda's saddlebags it can be a little pricey.

My recommendation for a friend that hasn't ridden before but loves my C14 was a used Versys (he wanted to spend under $6,000) that he could hang a couple Givi boxes on the side of and  go ride.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2012, 12:26:37 PM »
I agree, that's why I'm riding one, while my C10 gathers dust.

However, I've lost count of the number of people who have told me they're interested in taking up riding, or getting back into it, and love the looks and ergos of the C14, but are too intimidated by its physical size.  When they hear its performance specs, they shake their heads and back away.  How many times have people on this forum stated that the C14 is not for the noobie rider?

My entry level bike was the SilverWing GL500 used.  No way in heck would I recommend the C14 to a noob.  As you said, too tall, too powerful. 

Honda NC700 is a nice entry level bike but if you pay for Honda's saddlebags it can be a little pricey.

My recommendation for a friend that hasn't ridden before but loves my C14 was a used Versys (he wanted to spend under $6,000) that he could hang a couple Givi boxes on the side of and  go ride.

Perfect choice...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »
So if Kawasaki puts the 14r engine in the C-14 next year.....no one on this site will buy it because they are "satisfied" with the power of stock 1344cc engine.....

Well like I said before......"A man has to know his limitations."  It only costs 10% more to go first class.....

3 kinds of people in this world.....those who watch things happen....those who make things happen...and those who wonder....."what the hell happened."

If the shoe fits....wear it!

If and when the 14r motor goes in the C-14....I will be first in line to test drive it.....then probably take it home if I like the paint color....can always take all the frarkles off mine now....and transfer most of them to the new bike......
Ninjawarrior

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
I'll hand it to you, you don't give up.  I'm not going to sell a perfectly good bike just because there's a bigger better engine in 2014+.  It doesn't make any economic sense to me.  Now, in 5 or more years I need a new bike and that's what they have then I'll buy it most likely.  I don't have that kind of liquid cash to be buying something new because there is a whizbang gadget or increased HP.  If you have that kind of money then by all means buy the new one but don't come down on us because we aren't in the market for your dreams.  :P

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »
I'll hand it to you, you don't give up.  I'm not going to sell a perfectly good bike just because there's a bigger better engine in 2014+.  It doesn't make any economic sense to me.  Now, in 5 or more years I need a new bike and that's what they have then I'll buy it most likely.  I don't have that kind of liquid cash to be buying something new because there is a whizbang gadget or increased HP.  If you have that kind of money then by all means buy the new one but don't come down on us because we aren't in the market for your dreams.  :P

:goodpost:   that ^^^
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
So Ninja, what # wife are you on?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
So Ninja, what # wife are you on?

:-X
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2012, 06:35:54 AM »
Wife....??  What wife...have a great dog...never complains about anything or tells me what I can or can't buy.....

Ninjawarrior

Offline danl

« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
I wouldn't "trade up" for a new C14 with more power right now either. Maybe in 4-5 years.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
Wife....??  What wife...have a great dog...never complains about anything or tells me what I can or can't buy.....

:rotflmao:    :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

My cats love to complain.  But at least they don't tell me what I can or can't buy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
That's because they simply don't care.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
That's because they simply don't care.

:rotflmao: :goodpost:

Offline Cuda

« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »
I started dating my wife 41 years ago :-X
She said DON'T buy that bike , I told her how fast it was and the ZX was the fastest but the ZG was a OLD mans bike, why do you want to be a organ donor was her reply ::) she is a ICU nurse 36 years.
She got over it .... well lets just say she does not talk about it anymore ;)
When we were MUCH younger like 38 years ago we had a argument I got on my bike and went to a bar and found another girl friend for a while ,
 I believe that is a big part of it , she has put on a lot of weight the last five years.   ::)

Tonight I was at 9,000 rpm just going to hit second and the left side tailpipe came off scared me , the clamp was tight , I pushed it back on no problem it  has been on for over 3,000 miles ? might have to tack weld it.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2012, 08:07:41 PM »
I am looking for more power!!  I have all the mods I can think of...  Full Muzzy, ZX14 TB's, PCV, Autotune, BMC, etc...  What is next?   Nitrous?  Turbo?  or just a different bike?  I really really love the Concours and yes of course it is the fastest color (SilverDamit)  I was thinking that a 40hp shot of Nitrous hidden away in the bags would be good without requiring any engine mods as the turbo from what I read really requires forged pistons for reliability.  Maybe I should just except the Connie at the 160hp or so that it dyno'd at and buy a different bike for my need for speed....

Heh. Quite a few replies, no real answers, eh?

Advice if you want it: Stay away from nitrous unless you're just looking for better dragstrip numbers or doing something sneaky to win some money/fame/infamy street racing. It's too much of a hassle for so little benefit for a daily driven machine. Been there, won't do it again.

As for the Turbo: it's freakin' fantastic when you have it dialed in right. I honestly don't think you really need engine mods (aside from clutch mods) for one to live in the 5-7psi range...... especially if you're willing to use chemical intercooling. But I will go out on a limb and say this: it won't be enough. If you're the kind of guy that wants/needs more power on a C14, you'll always want more. It's just in the blood.... you get used to almost any level of insanity after a while, unless it really scares you every time. You can get another fast stock bike, but I suspect that you'll want more from it after you've lived with it for a while. Not a bad thing in my book. :) As ridiculous as the Turbo C14 felt at first, after a year or so I started wanting more. I personally was going to leave the C14 alone at that point and start building my other bike.

The two bike theory is a great compromise. By spring next year I'll have the turbo back on the C14, and I'll have the zx-10r up and running on low boost (maybe the higher boost motor if taxes are nice to me). The turbo C14 as the "slow" bike and a slightly looney zx-10 as the "scare me every time" machine should be enough to hold me up for a while I hope. If you can settle on a stock bike that will do that for you, go that route. New sport bikes are amazing & great for far more reasons than just power, and having the C14 as a back-up/practical machine is a great plan.

If you have to have just the concours as an only bike, you're pretty much at the end of easy mods for power. You'll have to get into the engine for more power at this point. If you're in there playing with cams and/or pistons, I would be of a mind to build it for a turbo at that point. Making an NA C14 make much more power than you already do will start getting expensive, fast... and the friendly street manners of the motor will deteriorate just about as quickly. Dropping weight is ideal to going faster, but you're going to run out of options quickly if you're not willing to sacrifice creature comforts. And there's no point in having a C14 over a sport bike if you're not interested in creature comforts. On top of that, meaningful weight reduction will cost more than the other two options combined.... probably more than a nice used sportsbike if you really get deep into it.

Short answer: turbo it, get a different bike, or spend huge amounts of money making it significantly lighter. The benefits and drawbacks of each are subjective and only for you to decide (and live with!). Just my 2 pennies. :)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »
Heh. Quite a few replies, no real answers, eh?

Advice if you want it: Stay away from nitrous unless you're just looking for better dragstrip numbers or doing something sneaky to win some money/fame/infamy street racing. It's too much of a hassle for so little benefit for a daily driven machine. Been there, won't do it again.

As for the Turbo: it's freakin' fantastic when you have it dialed in right. I honestly don't think you really need engine mods (aside from clutch mods) for one to live in the 5-7psi range...... especially if you're willing to use chemical intercooling. But I will go out on a limb and say this: it won't be enough. If you're the kind of guy that wants/needs more power on a C14, you'll always want more. It's just in the blood.... you get used to almost any level of insanity after a while, unless it really scares you every time. You can get another fast stock bike, but I suspect that you'll want more from it after you've lived with it for a while. Not a bad thing in my book. :) As ridiculous as the Turbo C14 felt at first, after a year or so I started wanting more. I personally was going to leave the C14 alone at that point and start building my other bike.

The two bike theory is a great compromise. By spring next year I'll have the turbo back on the C14, and I'll have the zx-10r up and running on low boost (maybe the higher boost motor if taxes are nice to me). The turbo C14 as the "slow" bike and a slightly looney zx-10 as the "scare me every time" machine should be enough to hold me up for a while I hope. If you can settle on a stock bike that will do that for you, go that route. New sport bikes are amazing & great for far more reasons than just power, and having the C14 as a back-up/practical machine is a great plan.

If you have to have just the concours as an only bike, you're pretty much at the end of easy mods for power. You'll have to get into the engine for more power at this point. If you're in there playing with cams and/or pistons, I would be of a mind to build it for a turbo at that point. Making an NA C14 make much more power than you already do will start getting expensive, fast... and the friendly street manners of the motor will deteriorate just about as quickly. Dropping weight is ideal to going faster, but you're going to run out of options quickly if you're not willing to sacrifice creature comforts. And there's no point in having a C14 over a sport bike if you're not interested in creature comforts. On top of that, meaningful weight reduction will cost more than the other two options combined.... probably more than a nice used sportsbike if you really get deep into it.

Short answer: turbo it, get a different bike, or spend huge amounts of money making it significantly lighter. The benefits and drawbacks of each are subjective and only for you to decide (and live with!). Just my 2 pennies. :)

I pretty much new the answer before I asked the question...  I guess I was just dreaming there was a easier less expensive method but Power cost and the more you want the more you have to spend.   I really liked the Turbo option until I heard about the need for forged pistons and then the degree of difficulty went up along with cost which is what held me back from going that route.  I only toyed with the thought of Nitrous because it seemed simple to install and cheap for some nice bragging rights at the track...  I love the look of the pure sport bikes guys when I go flying past them and they are just stunned... The reaction from them is so priceless  ;D and I guess that's why I like to stay with the Concours with lot's o power cause you have all the comfort and can take long trips yet you have the power and handling to run with Sport bikes...  Best of both worlds not to mention the nice low insurance rates :)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
A good option....... ;)

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 1 wheel peel

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »
Just a thought.......  What would be involved with changing a pre 2012 ZX14 engine to shaft drive?  If a person had access to a totaled ZX with all good engine hardware how difficult would it be to do the conversion?  Would the cases have to be split?  How would it effect the ECU, VVT etc?  Dependable 180-190hp at the wheel out of the ZX is easy with simple bolt ons, I know the shaft would have a greater parasitic effect than a chain but I can't help but think it would be a nice improvement.