Author Topic: I was away for a week and they all missed me.  (Read 2396 times)

Offline TjTexasJack

I was away for a week and they all missed me.
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
Was away for work for a week.

My wife missed me, missed me, missed me.  :'( "It's Ok,ok,ok. I'll be home soon."

My dog wigged out. "Where Dad, Where Dad, Where Dad?"  :o"It's Ok,ok,ok. I'll be home soon."

and Conkanous pee'ed gas on the floor.  :yikes: WTF!!!

While inspection show's it the petcock leaking I'm not taking any chance's and checking for Hydrolock.

1: Change oil.
2: Pull plugs and check each cylinder.

anything I missed?

Thanks in advance.
Tj

Offline vinny

Re: I was away for a week and they all missed me.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:34 AM »
I would check the fuel tap - to see if it is flowing when in the ON position without vac being supplied by the motor turning over.

Also check the carbs - because to have gas leaking into the crankcases - you have a sticking float valve and a malfunctioning gas tap.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
and also check to make sure  when the petcock is in the ON position that no fuel is flowing when the engine is not running. 8)  I am being a wise guy.
Think about getting overflow tubes installed. Cycle the engine to clear any fuel and check the  air filter for fuel. Be very care full  not to have fuel shoot out of the spark plug holes and having that fuel ignited by the spark plug wires  that are laying around. Cover the spark plug holes with rags just in case.
Drain the fuel bowls and look for debris. Something caused the float needle(s) to stick open.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:31:55 AM »
  If the petcock is a known issue, it's not nessesarily the case that the needle is off the seat independently (dirt, etc); the head pressure can unseat a needle and hydrolock will result. Still, needles do get weak and allow fuel levels to run higher as they age, so that combined with a bad petcock means the fuel system needs attention all around. Steve

Offline TjTexasJack

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »
Thanks for all the replys and sorry to be slow to post after report.

No Hydrolock  ;D cylinders, oil and airbox where clean of gas.

Checked and drained each carb and levels where at the benchmark I used when setting them last rebuild. No mystery gunk in bowls, But I regulary drain and clean tank. (Every six months. Have had lott's of older bikes. )

Checked function of petcock with help of Mighty Vac. all good with exception of slight/slow vaccum leak down when on reserve. Did a patch job on petcock and will keep sharp watch on the bike untill the new OME petcock arives from Murpys.

Thanks again!
Tj

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:43:35 AM »
new OME petcock arives from Murpys.

Thanks again!
Tj
[/quote]

OH NO, the OME petcock is backwards, better check that order.    ;)
Glad it was an easy fix also.
RSA,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline TjTexasJack

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:04:45 AM »
Well IF that's the only typo I put in there I'm doing good. Lol  ;)

What is the 411 on the plastic washers for the bolts that attach the petcock to the tank?

The original one's are trash and the replacment did not come with new one's.

Fabrication time? Generic hardware replacment? Spend a billion dollars to get some from Mama Kaw?

Thanks in advance.

Tj

PS: Thanks Murph for excellent service.  ;D