Author Topic: Phone mount?  (Read 5703 times)

Offline kzz1king

Re: Phone mount?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2021, 04:58:00 PM »
Sorry, I have more questions than answers. How  deep is the recess and how long is the stem? How far does it go in and does it feel secure at that point? Is the sr designed to be shortened?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2021, 02:14:17 AM »
Sorry, I have more questions than answers. How  deep is the recess and how long is the stem? How far does it go in and does it feel secure at that point? Is the sr designed to be shortened?

The recess in the stem? Def deep enough that it should go all the way down. The actual mount should be all the way in and sit flush. There is an Allen key that’s will tighten it, the metal pieces slide out like an anchor mount as it tightens.

I’m just wondering if anybody has successfully used this mount on a concours before? If I take out one of the metal pieces it’s snug, but not tight, and will sit flush. Just seems like it’s designed to fit but only with perfect finess.
2013 kawasaki concours 14

Offline J.R.

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 07:53:40 AM »
I used this: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1U and mounted it on the clutch side. I don't have an answer for the other mount.
Jim
2016 C14 "Kristi"

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 01:02:05 PM »
I used this: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1U and mounted it on the clutch side. I don't have an answer for the other mount.

Cool, these handlebars don't really make it easy to mount anything once you really get into it!

I confirmed with Moto Mount, the fork mount WILL NOT work with the concours stem as there is a beveled lip. Bummer, looks like I'm paying shipping to get it back to them as well.

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 01:30:36 PM »
1" ball adapter mount.

How the heck are you getting that anywhere on the handlebars?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2021, 01:44:06 PM »
That's what I have too. One on each side
for phone  and Rd. Will get a pic for you next trip to the shop.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2021, 02:24:14 PM »
That's what I have too. One on each side
for phone  and Rd. Will get a pic for you next trip to the shop.

I appreciate it, I just spent $10 shipping the dang thing back to quad lock for a return. There's really not a lot of room on these handlebars to mount anything, and the stem bolt is just odd shaped enough that it doesn't work in there either. I might just throw my tank bag back on and call it a day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 03:56:04 PM »

I posted earlier that it is a common option on handlebar risers.  That is how I have mine.  Tons of people have risers.  Outside of that, it gets complicated- stem mount is the only other way I know of to have it where you want it- in the middle, between the bars.  Other options place it way high near grips by mounting a ball with the controls/brake/clutch bolts (look at the link JR posted, above).  That might be OK for some people, but it is not where I would want it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 04:22:40 PM »
I posted earlier that it is a common option on handlebar risers.  That is how I have mine.

Yeah, I'm seeing now you said RAM ball on the risers.

Other options place it way high near grips by mounting a ball with the controls/brake/clutch bolts (look at the link JR posted, above).  That might be OK for some people, but it is not where I would want it.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in that position either personally. I'd love a stem mount that worked, it's the cleanest looking IMO.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 07:00:57 PM »

Ram ball mount on the risers, with a 6" extension arm to raise it up to the same height as the bar risers.
IBA #18591

Offline Wes Carper

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2021, 12:00:04 PM »
Why not use a clutch perch mount?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2021, 03:08:16 PM »
Why not use a clutch perch mount?

User preference.  Personally, I wouldn't want something that high and to the side.  But it is a perfectly valid option.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jonathan

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2022, 11:48:11 AM »

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »
My Ram X-Grip let go of my Galaxy A01 the other day at 120 mph. There was no shoulder and logging truck traffic so I could not stop or turn around for half a mile. So was not sure where I needed to search. Searched the ditches on both sides for an hour where I thought it should be without luck. Rode home and got online and logged into my Samsung account.  Samsung quickly located the exact position of my phone on a map and I went back and quickly found it.

The phone is in a Lanhiem  IP68 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof Case with Built-in Screen Protector case. The screen protector had two tears and edges of the case were scuffed but the phone was undamaged.

The X-grip comes with the black x shaped rubber band thing to secure the phone but foolishly, I never bothered with it.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
Wowsa! That's a good case. I drilled 2 small holes in my case and added a string (cord) . It makes a loop and I always  throw it over the x mount. It has saved me a few times. I was always parked but managed to not mount it properly and have it fall out.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2022, 05:59:40 PM »
The phone is in a Lanhiem  IP68 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof Case with Built-in Screen Protector case. The screen protector had two tears and edges of the case were scuffed but the phone was undamaged.

That is pretty amazing it survived.  What do you think caused it to release?  Maybe not inserted properly?  My X-Grip seems extraordinarily strong.  I am always worried, but never even a hint of a problem, year after year, regardless of phone or conditions.  I don't even use much of a case (just a very thin thing, no screen protection).  But once I did kinda miss ONE of the legs (I was doing it in the dark) and it still held it.

The X-grip comes with the black x shaped rubber band thing to secure the phone but foolishly, I never bothered with it.

Mine didn't come with such a thing.  Wouldn't that cover the screen?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2022, 09:55:49 AM »
I blame the Shouldabeen Mountain Runner flash  ;) I was accelerating so hard the grip could not stand it. I probably hit a gust of headwind as I was hitting about 120
Pic of the rubber thingy, does not block screen.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2022, 03:30:39 PM »
Not sure I understand.  Does that go UNDER the phone or something? Some part of it would have to cover some part of the screen....

Update:  https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounts-RAM-HOL-UN10TU-Compatible-Holders/dp/B017STJY4I

Yep, it would cover perts of the screen.  If that were on my phone, it would cut off all four corners of the display.  Perhaps it works OK with huge cases or old phones, but my Samsung A52 screen is edge-to-edge.  I would never use it.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2022, 07:10:31 AM »
Yes, it covers the corners. I used mine once and threw it away. The X-grip holds fine without it at any reasonable speed. I plan to just keep a simple rubber band handy to slip on whenever the need for speed takes over. ;D