Author Topic: After 15 weeks at the mechanic.....  (Read 888 times)

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
After 15 weeks at the mechanic.....
« on: October 07, 2023, 12:22:00 AM »
I finally got my new-to-me 2010 C14 back!!!!!

This....may have been a mistake. I was turned on to this shop by another in the area that I have been to. They were not interested in the valve job I wanted done. I finally found this guy about an hour from my home and discussed the situation. He claimed to have worked on plenty of Z14s and I trusted him in the conversations. Now, being that my stable is full up on 10-15 year old motorcycles, although they are japanese and rarely need major servicing that I cant handle.....it is always possible. Anyhow, I was happy to get a trusted shop in my pocket.

I dropped off my bike July 12, just before going on a two week ireland vacation. The way he was talking, I was expecting him to be waiting on my when I got back...but he wasnt. I let it go for weeks and weeks without so much as a check in. I knew they were busy, I had other bikes, no big deal. I had put a total of a couple hundred miles on the C14 since having purchased it a few weeks prior, but nothing major.

Finally over the past few weeks I made it well known my patience was gone and pressed him for updated every couple of days. Consistently asking when I could pick it up. The last time I asked, "When can I schedule to pick it up," his response was, "Oh well yeah you can get it just as soon as I'm done with it."  >:( THATS NOT AN ANSWER!!!!

Anyhow, supposedly the plastics were all put on poorly, and the shields, and this and that weren't in correct and tabs werent lining up, things held together with zip ties...all prior to my ownership. So , allegedly, some hack worked on it before. He claims its just as the kaw mothership had designed it...so if that is the case then the 50% over price quote was worth it I suppose. New air filter, new plugs, new fuel filter, and fresh oil were all accomplished. It took time, but provided the work was done correctly, then it's worth the hassle I suppose.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: After 15 weeks at the mechanic.....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 08:12:35 AM »
Yeah, the problem with things like valve adjustments is there really is no way to know someone actually did it (unless you actually watch at least the key parts being done, yourself).  Especially frustrating when it is something so very complex and expensive.  And yeah, there are a lot of vehicle repair places out there that will break things during re/assembly,  accept jobs and lie about the schedule, make up problems, lead-on when pressed, use incorrect or substitute parts, etc. 

I am glad you got it back and hope it runs great and all the work claimed was done!
Trust can be difficult.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
Re: After 15 weeks at the mechanic.....
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 07:18:22 AM »
Yeah, the problem with things like valve adjustments is there really is no way to know someone actually did it (unless you actually watch at least the key parts being done, yourself).  Especially frustrating when it is something so very complex and expensive.  And yeah, there are a lot of vehicle repair places out there that will break things during re/assembly,  accept jobs and lie about the schedule, make up problems, lead-on when pressed, use incorrect or substitute parts, etc. 

I am glad you got it back and hope it runs great and all the work claimed was done!
Trust can be difficult.

It's very difficult. He did provide me the measurements, and he send some videos along the way......however the first thing he pinged me about all those weeks ago was about cross threaded bolts holding on the tank cover. Something he claimed he was going to fix......I just happened to look down and find that one of those bolts is still all wonky and off and so he DIDNT fix it. :(

I should have just taken it to the dealer. It's not like I was saving any money by using this shop.