Author Topic: Need a new helmet  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
Need a new helmet
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:57:04 AM »
I've had a Shoei TZ-1 for about 10 yrs. It's over-ripe and time for replacement. The person that helped me select it asked me to tilt my head down, glanced at me then walked in the back and came out with the TZ-1. This is when I first learned that I had an oval head. After trying on several others, I purchased the Shoei.
So my question is: Any oval-heads out there that can give me direction on a full-face or modular? Comfort and utility are more important than price.
-Thanks

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Need a new helmet
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
You might do a little bit of reading here... compare what you are wearing to the list of helmets it is listed with.  This would give you a good starting point.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:17:38 AM »
HJC's fit me and I wear Caberg V1's right now. I guess there hard to get in the US right now.  But the internal sun visor it the best I've found.   I can't imagine riding without the sunvisor these days

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:29:55 PM »
I'd say try on as many as you can. I have a long oval head and have fallen in love with the Icon Alliance helmet line. Felt right as soon as I tried it on.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
I too have a "Shoei head".  I'm on my second RF1000.  They have been discontinued and replaced by the RF1100.  I wear impact-resistant safety glasses since I usually ride with the visor open, and have no trouble putting glasses on with the helmet in place. I will only wear a solid full-bucket helmet, as I have read too many reports of chin bars breaking off in crashes with the modular units.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
HJC's fit me and I wear Caberg V1's right now. I guess there hard to get in the US right now.  But the internal sun visor it the best I've found.   I can't imagine riding without the sunvisor these days
I too own a Caberg but the HyperX. Outstanding helmet.  Sturdy and comfortable.   Plus I love the removable front.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
Im a modular fan - started with the Bieffe Mod 4 in 1993 and have been using them ever since. Went the a couple Bieffe's then switched to Nolans. Used Nolans until this last iteration of hte N100 series where they've really up'd the A$$ PAIN of changing shields.  Am trying out a Bell Revolver (in Neon YELLLOW!) and I like it alot - sepecially the shield changing mech - fantastic. It's a little noisier than the Nolan, but fit & finish is great.

Oh - have tried Schuberth before - but they dont fit me.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 05:06:52 AM »
I too own a Caberg but the HyperX. Outstanding helmet.  Sturdy and comfortable.   Plus I love the removable front.

I'd be interested in checking out the hyper X,  never knew it existed until now.  I usually have problems with chin bar clearance on modulars,   wonder if the Caberg is the same.   

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 07:00:52 AM »
I'm lovin' my Shoei X-Twelve.  Very light weight, comfortable, and one of the best vented full face helmets I have used.

Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 08:45:02 AM »
I'd be interested in checking out the hyper X,  never knew it existed until now.  I usually have problems with chin bar clearance on modulars,   wonder if the Caberg is the same.
  Mine is not too bad.  I have http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh10.php?tab_menu=overview as my headset/intercom.  The mic sits just far enough away when talking and people tell me that they cannot tell that I am on a bike. 

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 02:25:06 PM »
  Mine is not too bad.  I have http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh10.php?tab_menu=overview as my headset/intercom.  The mic sits just far enough away when talking and people tell me that they cannot tell that I am on a bike.

We have the starcom1 full face headsets.  So I would need a new boom. :(

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:23 AM »
I love the venting on my X-11 (came from an Arai Signet) and I imagine the X-12 is at least as good.

I prefer the Shoei vent controls & shield mechanism over the Arai.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline larshep

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
I have had probably 20 helmets over the year and the Arai is by for the best fitting for me.
The venting on the newer models is very good.  Good air flow and no fogging.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »
I had an Arai Signet GTR, and now I have a Shark RSi.  I went to the Shark because the Arai Profile wasn't oval enough and pushed on my forehead.  Loved the Signet, love the shark even more.  Absolutely refuses to fog.  Light as a feather.  Fits long oval heads excellent.  I won't wear a modular helmet as helmet weight plays a big factor into fatigue.  webbikeworld is a great place for helmet reviews.  Bad thing about the shark is limited support from local shops, at least around here.  They aren't stocked.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Smooooth

• Syracuse, NY
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 02:39:21 AM »
Very good video on helmet fitting.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/arai-helmets/283819/

Stephen
97 C10
73 Honda CT70

73"s de WA2FDU

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 03:52:16 AM »
well,

road tested the Bell Revolver last nite.

Worked as advertised - face shield came off - but chin bar stayed in place no worries.

Have ordered a replacement already.
05 C-10

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »
I was planning on finishing the season with "old stinky" but my cat knocked it onto the floor and the shield pivot mount broke. I discovered this detail on the road when I couldn't get the shield to seal. F'n cat.
Looks like I'm going shopping this weekend. Thanks for the quality input fellows.
Hey Furbo, I was going to try on the Bell Revolver (now call Revolver EVO). Not bad $$. I tried the Shoei modular but too much $$ for me right now. I'm curious about the details of your "road test"?

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »
I am now using a Scorpion EXO1000 and love it but order larger size as they run small.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 03:26:02 AM »
I was planning on finishing the season with "old stinky" but my cat knocked it onto the floor and the shield pivot mount broke. I discovered this detail on the road when I couldn't get the shield to seal. F'n cat.
Looks like I'm going shopping this weekend. Thanks for the quality input fellows.
Hey Furbo, I was going to try on the Bell Revolver (now call Revolver EVO). Not bad $$. I tried the Shoei modular but too much $$ for me right now. I'm curious about the details of your "road test"?

TQ - you can find details in the CDA section. Thanks to percocet, am feeling better now...
05 C-10

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 05:52:09 AM »
I read your CDA post Furb, glad it wasn't worse. mmmm percocet. most of the time that stuff doesn't work on pain but it helps me not care about it, which i guess is the same thing.