Author Topic: Strange Light Behavior  (Read 1752 times)

Offline AZ-ZG

Strange Light Behavior
« on: May 06, 2023, 12:59:20 PM »
Hey!  It's been quite a while since I've posted, because the C14 is so reliable and I'm set up they way I want.  However, I find myself coming to the wealth of knowledge in this forum.

2009 C14 with a shade over 160,000 miles.

Here we go.  Turn the bike on to start it, usual gauge sweep and light flash except the high beam indicator is lit.
Also, the turn signals are lit at like 1/2 power and there is a high pitched sound from around the instrument cluster.

Start the bike, it runs and drives fine, but the headlights aren't working.  The turn signals hyper-flash.  Turn signal and high beam indicators remain lit.  The brake light is not affected.

Turn the bike off and the turn signals stay 1/2 power illuminated and the city lights stay on.  The relay assembly under the seat, on top of the ECU is buzzing.  Disconnect the ground wire from battery to turn everything off.

I purchased a new relay assembly hoping that was my problem.  Nope.

Nothing has been added to the electrical system for a decade.  Disconnected my fork mounted Clearwater LEDs thinking maybe the rheostat for adjusting the brightness of the LEDs had gone bad and was giving "feedback" to the system. ?  Nope.

Any thoughts?  Is it terminal?   :(
Looking at lime green 2015 with only 18175 miles because I have moto trip planned in 2 weeks and my service is backed up 6 weeks.
 :o

I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Deathwish

Re: Strange Light Behavior
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 01:44:17 PM »
I'd be pulling bulbs and looking for corrosion in the connectors as it sounds like a short somewhere. Just my two cents.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 01:56:53 PM »
My guess is the high pitched sound coming from instrument cluster is your best clue. Only thing I can think of is windshield motor. Look for a short there
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 03:34:29 PM »
10-4

If there was corrosion in the bulb sockets, wouldn't that keep the bulb from working?  I don't know.  Thank you!

The windshield motor hasn't worked in forever.   ::)

Nothing more fun than finding a shorted circuit.   ;D
IBA#53928

Offline Deathwish

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 03:48:14 PM »
10-4

If there was corrosion in the bulb sockets, wouldn't that keep the bulb from working?  I don't know.  Thank you!

The windshield motor hasn't worked in forever.   ::)

Nothing more fun than finding a shorted circuit.   ;D

You mentioned the headlights are not working which could be corrosion or a short in that socket/wiring. Also the blinkers flashing quickly would indicate a reduced load in the flasher circuit which could also be traced to a short somewhere. I'd still check the headlight plug for corrosion and verify the headlight itself. May not be the problem but I'd start in that area.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 06:35:11 PM »
I would also check the switch housing on the left side.  If water gets in there it can do strange things.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2023, 04:25:01 PM »
Thanks for the input.

This was a sudden problem.

Work makes it another week before I can dig in.   >:(
IBA#53928

Offline ridinsandy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 08:50:17 AM »
Back in the day, when I was a mechanic, any time I saw lights acting strangely and especially if some were at half their normal brightness, it meant a bad ground, not a short.  These bikes have a much better electrical system, but I would definitely be on the alert for for the grounding at every socket.  An easy test is to have a jumper wire attached to a good ground on one side, and then touch it to the outside of each socket and see if that makes a difference.

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 09:10:40 AM »
How old is the battery? Batteries going bad can manifest into weird things.

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 06:43:56 AM »
Hey!  It's been quite a while since I've posted, because the C14 is so reliable and I'm set up they way I want.  However, I find myself coming to the wealth of knowledge in this forum.

2009 C14 with a shade over 160,000 miles.

Here we go.  Turn the bike on to start it, usual gauge sweep and light flash except the high beam indicator is lit.
Also, the turn signals are lit at like 1/2 power and there is a high pitched sound from around the instrument cluster.

Start the bike, it runs and drives fine, but the headlights aren't working.  The turn signals hyper-flash.  Turn signal and high beam indicators remain lit.  The brake light is not affected.

Turn the bike off and the turn signals stay 1/2 power illuminated and the city lights stay on.  The relay assembly under the seat, on top of the ECU is buzzing.  Disconnect the ground wire from battery to turn everything off.

I purchased a new relay assembly hoping that was my problem.  Nope.

Nothing has been added to the electrical system for a decade.  Disconnected my fork mounted Clearwater LEDs thinking maybe the rheostat for adjusting the brightness of the LEDs had gone bad and was giving "feedback" to the system. ?  Nope.

Any thoughts?  Is it terminal?   :(
Looking at lime green 2015 with only 18175 miles because I have moto trip planned in 2 weeks and my service is backed up 6 weeks.
 :o

Just now seeing this.

You have a grounding block in the harness corroded & there are eleven of these blocks through out the harness. It's a simple fix once the block is located, just cut out the block & solder wires together then put a wire nut on.

Remove the left side plastic & run your hand along the harness, you'll feel some small square lumps those are the blocks. About where the air filter access is cut the harness wrap open, that's about where you'll find the problem. Took me a week to trace that down.

I'll see if I can track down some pictures for you. Found some!
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 03:04:16 PM »
I wonder what causes that.  Water/humidity?  Just doesn't seem like something that would go bad very easily.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 06:05:17 AM »
I wonder what causes that.  Water/humidity?  Just doesn't seem like something that would go bad very easily.

I don't have a clue as to the cause, but the OP's makes the 4th that I know of & there all gen 1's.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047