Author Topic: Rainy ride, wet neck...  (Read 3312 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Rainy ride, wet neck...
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »
So what are your solutions? We live near to and went to Lake George, NY today to visit Americade. It rained all day and I really only 2 weak points in my wet weather gear. 1, is as stated, my neck gets wet. My jacket collar is a bit too short and my balaclava is fleece and more for cold than wet. I see a helmet skirt online, but don't know about attaching a ring of Velcro to the lower edge of the helmet. I also have a Sena unit that may cause interference. I tried a regular rain coat under my riding jacket, put the hood up and my helmet over it. This worked nicely, but the rain ran inside my riding jacket to the liner, I would prefer it ran outside the riding jacket. I suppose I could put the rain jacket on over the riding jacket, but I was looking for a simpler solution. The 2nd is wet hands, I'm searching for water proof glove covers. I don't like the readily available polyester mittens. I'm going to try some REALLY big rubber chemical gloves and see how that works. Any other ideas? Thanks.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: Rainy ride, wet neck...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 06:43:39 PM »
I would suggest the rain gear over the protective gear.  IMO, it is the simplest solution.  (Yes, I saw what you wrote.)

Aerostich's 3-finger rain gloves are my favorite rain gloves.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 07:08:10 PM »
Thanks, that's one of the solutions I'm considering. I'm also looking into one of several "skirts" or "collars" for the helmet. The other possibility is an under the helmet hood that perhaps I can velcro to the collar of the riding gear.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:02:04 PM »
. . .The 2nd is wet hands, I'm searching for water proof glove covers. I don't like the readily available polyester mittens. I'm going to try some REALLY big rubber chemical gloves and see how that works. Any other ideas? Thanks.
I use thin rubber gloves from a safety supply house. They're intended to protect against chemicals, but they do a fine job against rain. In cool weather, over thin riding gloves, in warm weather all by themselves. Green, ugly as sin, look like a fool, but hands are dry.

For cold wet weather, I use neoprene kayak paddler gloves. Much warmer and keep you pretty dry.

A rain suit and rubber boots round out the wet weather gear.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:15:37 PM »
Aerostich's 3-finger rain gloves are my favorite rain gloves.

I love my triple digits, and you wouldn't belive how handy the thumb wiper is too.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-rain-covers.html
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
As far as wet hands; I just use surgical latex gloves. They are thin enough that they fit inside any gloves I own.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline booger

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:06:49 AM »
I just sized my rain gear to fit over my riding gear.  Simplest solution (even if you don't want to go this route).

I also use surgical latex gloves, like snarf, under my riding gloves.  Sometimes I will put them on the outside of my summer gloves, but they are a bitch to put on.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
+1 on the rain gear over my riding gear.  I also put the hood up and put my helmet over it.  Then for the front of the jacket, I roll a medium hand towel and wrap it around my neck just under the top snap, zipper, velcro (however your rain gear closes).  It keeps anything that sneaks its way into the front from running down. 

+1 also on the latex gloves under my riding gloves. I figure my riding gloves will dry out when it stops raining.