Author Topic: Visual Trickery  (Read 1994 times)

Offline EZ

Visual Trickery
« on: May 04, 2016, 05:51:43 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct place to post but has anyone had any experience wit this kind of thing? I thought it was interesting and explains why people may not see you. I know for me there have been multiple times that I make eye contact with a driver and I am absolutely positive they see me, annnnd there they go. Like I wasn't there. Love my ABS but not a fan of linked brakes. First Gen 14 rules! ;)

http://michaelbach.de/ot/mot-mib/index.html

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Visual Trickery
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:03:21 AM »
Interesting. For me eventually all 3 yellow will disappear completely for 2 or 3 seconds at a time. And yes, I think we all have experienced drivers looking right at you and just going anyway. It's exactly why I am now in the habit of wiggling my bike back and forth whenever a driver has the opportunity to pull in front of me either from the right or turning left in front of me. They look at me like I might be riding drunk but then they really see me.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »
Wow! I made the yellow dots size 34 (GIANT!) and given enough time even one of those started to disappear.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:42:17 PM »
Neat illusion.

But that probably isn't the cause of people not "seeing" motorcycles.  The main reason is they don't EXPECT to see motorcycles, because they are out of the ordinary... people are in-tune with the 99.9% not the 0.1%.  The brain kinda filters out motorcycles in many cases.  It is one of the main reasons for headlight-on laws for motorcycles.

The other problems are that a motorcycle is small, so there is less to see, and is it much more difficult for a car to judge where and how fast a motorcycle is going because it is horizontally so narrow.    This is why  I advise: 1) You should never blind cars by running with high-beams on [and lights should be adjusted properly]  2) Having MORE lights is helpful  3) The wider the spacing is between the lights, the better 4) Having yellow lights, in addition, is useful.  5) Having side lights is also useful.  6) Using reflective tape and/or gear is useful (for night).

Another visibility trick is to "wiggle" or "waggle" the bike at a car to make sure they see you- a tight left/right/left/right weave motion is caught by the eye far better than what might look light a single dot of light.  Horizontal and vertical motion greatly enhances visibility.   NEVER FLASH YOUR HEADLIGHTS at oncoming cars that might turn in front of you.... this can be mistaken as yielding the right of way.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline EZ

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »
Neat illusion.

But that probably isn't the cause of people not "seeing" motorcycles.  The main reason is they don't EXPECT to see motorcycles, because they are out of the ordinary... people are in-tune with the 99.9% not the 0.1%.  The brain kinda filters out motorcycles in many cases.  It is one of the main reasons for headlight-on laws for motorcycles.

The other problems are that a motorcycle is small, so there is less to see, and is it much more difficult for a car to judge where and how fast a motorcycle is going because it is horizontally so narrow.    This is why  I advise: 1) You should never blind cars by running with high-beams on [and lights should be adjusted properly]  2) Having MORE lights is helpful  3) The wider the spacing is between the lights, the better 4) Having yellow lights, in addition, is useful.  5) Having side lights is also useful.  6) Using reflective tape and/or gear is useful (for night).

Another visibility trick is to "wiggle" or "waggle" the bike at a car to make sure they see you- a tight left/right/left/right weave motion is caught by the eye far better than what might look light a single dot of light.  Horizontal and vertical motion greatly enhances visibility.   NEVER FLASH YOUR HEADLIGHTS at oncoming cars that might turn in front of you.... this can be mistaken as yielding the right of way.

Agree 100% but there are still a lot of variables that can create illusions. Time of day, position of sun, other moving objects etc... I think lighting is critical as well and I really like the side marker write up you did. I plan to do that as soon as time permits but I will probably go a little different route.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:22:23 AM »
Can't stop watching... :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.