Author Topic: Four Corners Ride  (Read 2738 times)

Offline jimboni

Four Corners Ride
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:44:30 AM »
Hi Mr. Jimboni,
I'm planning on doing the '4 Corners' when Covid gives us all a break. Just wondering if you know of any source for good planning info?
Thanks  8)

Connieboy14 asked me a question on another thread and I thought I would answer this in more detail and in public since others may be interested. And I hate hijacking someone elses thread.

It has been 12 years or so since I did a 4 corners ride. For those who do not know what this is, it is a SCMA / Iron Butt ride designed to hit each of the continental US corner points. You can find a full description on the iba website. Generally the 4 corners are considered to be Blaine, WA - San Ysidro, CA - Key West, FL, and Madawaska, ME. And you have whole 26 days to complete it!

Nav software has evolved a lot since I did this so keep this in mind. At the time I used Google and MSN maps for a gross level of planning, picking key waypoint cities and then using nav software to really nail it down. My problem, and most of you have it to some degree, is that I live in the middle of the country. I have to ride 1400+ miles just to reach a starting/end point. Bottom line, you will just have to play with it.

For me, once I had a rough idea of the possible routes available to me I ran directions for every possible leg combo, including driving time. From Colorado the shortest and fastest route is to do a "U" shaped tour. Blaine-SY-KW-Mad (which is what I did), or the reverse.  Next best appears to be an "N" shaped route or the reverse.  Remember, this was based on 2008-ish roads, traffic and toll booths.   The worst two legs for traffic and general slowness appear to be Blaine to Mad or Blaine to KW. If you want to take your time and smell the flowers and see the sights all these legs have a lot to offer so don't worry about it and 26 days is PLENTY of time to complete it.  I was looking for a fast pace as a tune up for a future run at the Iron Butt Rally so my planning also involved that criteria. And that was eventually my downfall.

Sorry I can't give you more detailed planning info. It really is a very involved process to suit you personally. People do this ride for all sorts of reasons so just be honest with yourself and what you want out of it. Assess your capabilities fairly and ride within your limits. Be a bit more conservative with your daily schedule than normal as you will probably tire more quickly than you think. No matter what your level of experience staying in the saddle this long, you need to be sure your routes give you a good number of bail-out choices and overnight stays along the entire route. This ride showed me I was simply not cut out for an 11-day Iron Butt Rally. It kicked my ass. I used bail out points and gave myself a recovery day several times during this ride. This included 30 states give or take and IIRC was 13k miles and change. I spent about $2500 in fuel, motels, food, and tires. I had no mechanical issues but you should plan for that as well. And I did not finish. I made it to Bangor and was just done. I had a mild flu that hit me somewhere in the Carolinas. I did not plan on being ill, and on top of the fatigue it was over for me when I hit Bangor on the 13th day. The last 2 days I only managed about 400 miles per day. Stayed at hotel for a few days recovering and then headed home instead of Madawaska as I just didn't care anymore.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't say this: I no longer do Iron Butt rides. I just don't think it is safe, at least not for me. Despite my self-honesty regarding conditioning, level of fatigue, etc., I found myself pushing it far too often, usually late in the day. Just a little farther. One more tank of gas. I'll be fine after a stop at the Waffle House. That black cloud ahead doesn't look so bad. It's just the way I am wired. I've lost a few IBA friends to that slippery slope of thought. Of course there are those that can manage extreme long distance just fine (apparently) and kudos to you.

I'd like to do this over again, this time within sensible limits, and I think it's a very doable tour at 200-600 mile days with plenty of time to see the sights. Next time.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Re: Four Corners Ride
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
Taking 13,000 miles (approx) divided by 26 days =500 miles per day.  At a rate 50mph (which may be optimistic due to fuel stops, rest time. etc.) would mean you get to spend 10 hours in the saddle.  For 26 days.  It might be doable but for me it's not desirable.

Offline ToddFather

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:10:16 PM »
You have to admire anyone who has the gumption to take on a ride of this sort.  I would likely resort to using the Jethro Bodine "pert near" method and just try to get it close.  I'm sure I would be too easily distracted and spend a few days at each place I stop.  I could never make it in 26 days.

I've had my '08 C14 for 3 years, now.  Had 11k miles on it when I bought it.  The first year I had to purchase the Sergeant Low Seat to even get my toes firmly on the ground.  I'm a bit vertically challenged.  First year I took a solo trip down the coast from Seattle all the way to Mendocino along CA Hwy 1.  That's got to be one of the best rides a person can take.  I didn't have any specific plans except to 'go south'.  Found some excellent places to camp along the way, as it was mid-June.

Followed that up last year by doing the same route with a friend of mine.  WE went down the coast and then back up along the interior of Oregon and staying a couple nights in the city of Bend, OR and their nice brewpubs.  Most excellent.  As this was during the Covid days, we really never expected to make it out of Oregon and Beverly Beach State Park.  It turned out that MC camping was about the only thing a person could do and still be safe out there.

Planning on doing a similar trip again this year in mid-July.  Camping reservations are made well in advance and we'll see how things turn out.  Right now, I'm just focusing on one leg of that '4 corners' ride.  'Pert near'.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:50:48 AM »
Taking 13,000 miles (approx) divided by 26 days =500 miles per day.  At a rate 50mph (which may be optimistic due to fuel stops, rest time. etc.) would mean you get to spend 10 hours in the saddle.  For 26 days.  It might be doable but for me it's not desirable.

You got that right.  Have done a few 1k Ironbutt's and one 36 hour stint.   I'll never do those again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.