Author Topic: Mohammed Ali died  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Mohammed Ali died
« on: June 04, 2016, 04:26:50 PM »
Rest in peace, Sir.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Mohammed Ali died
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 04:47:47 PM »
Lost me at draft dodger when friends and kin had to serve. Not a hero.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
It's like the MIL riding my bike off of a cliff. I have mixed emotions. I know people that were dirtbags before they served, while they served, and after they served. Absolutely no redeeming qualities and detrimental to society their entire lives. Ali did a lot for the good of society in his lifetime.

Am I OK with the way he handled that chapter of his life? Decidedly not. But I can't throw the whole book in the trash because of 1 chapter. Hell, I hope folks don't do that to me, I've got some pretty ugly chapters myself.

Just my .02
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:50:40 AM »
I understand your points but on some things I'm a single issue voter. do you think Bowe Bergdahl should get a pass for his onetime transgression?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
Let me preface my reply by saying that I am not trying to change anyone's mind, especially concerning deeply held beliefs. I am merely voicing my opinion. Every generation of my family born here in the United States has volunteered for and served as Infantry soldiers. And we have all considered it an honor and privilege to do so. It certainly ain't for everybody.

Comparing Ali to Bergdahl is like comparing apples to oranges. One was a conscientious objector right out of the gate and even had the SCOTUS uphold his claim to do so. The other abandoned his post in a combat theater and the resulting search for him cost the lives of his fellow soldiers. I can't honestly compare the 2 situations. In addition to that, it remains to be seen what the outcome of the latter will be.

Like you, there are some very black and white issues in MY life. As I get older and have more experience to draw from, the number of black and white issues seems to be dwindling, and the grey ones are growing in number.

Stick by your guns, G, a man should be respected for having a firm resolve. There is much to be said for strong convictions. You and I just happen disagree on this matter. It's stuff like this that leads to interesting and intellegent conversation.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
As I get older and have more experience to draw from, the number of black and white issues seems to be dwindling, and the grey ones are growing in number.

Word.