Author Topic: Do You Remove the STOVE KNOB key?  (Read 41672 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Do You Remove the STOVE PIPE key
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
But if you leave it in the sunshine you don't bother to lock the steering?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Brian
Saw that coming from a mile away. Had one of these waiting for ya. :chugbeer:

Drink up. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
Or use that big key right in front of you.  ;)

Brian

Bags always kept my stuff dry, through rain storms, road spray and washings. Knobbed my cases, with the added bonus of using either
bag key to unlock the tank without having to take the gloves off, or search in my pocket (which one today) for the FOB! Ahhh!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »
 :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
Or use that big key right in front of you.  ;)

Brian

Nope, never do. My knobbed key always in the right bag.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2015, 10:23:29 AM »
Nope, never do. My knobbed key always in the right bag.

Took my big key out once, felt like I was doing somthing wrong or dirty..LOL

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »

:thumbs: Had a friend just buy a 2011 on eBay. Didn't bother to read the manual and was using the key that slides out of the FOB to open the bags and thought it was a PITA. Then he asked what the FSS position on the stove knob was for.  :rotflmao:  I showed him my solution of getting extra keys and epoxy them into radio knobs. He definitely likes that better.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
You are living right on the edge I tells' ya'! And the wrong, dirty part is putting it in....

Yeah, somewhere along the line, another commandment was added: Thou shalt not remove thy key from thy ignition on a C-14'. Fortunately for me, that "rule" was conjured up long after I bought mine and so I started using the main stove knob key for everything, just as Kawasaki intended, and have continued to this day. I think it works fine but if you guys are right, and there is a price to pay, I think sometime in the next 50 years, something bad is going to happen to me and we will all know I never should have taken the ign. key out in the first place. Well YOU will all know but not me I guess 'cause of that 'something bad' having already happened.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
You are living right on the edge I tells' ya'! And the wrong, dirty part is putting it in....

Yeah, somewhere along the line, another commandment was added: Thou shalt not remove thy key from thy ignition on a C-14'. Fortunately for me, that "rule" was conjured up long after I bought mine and so I started using the main stove knob key for everything, just as Kawasaki intended, and have continued to this day. I think it works fine but if you guys are right, and there is a price to pay, I think sometime in the next 50 years, something bad is going to happen to me and we will all know I never should have taken the ign. key out in the first place. Well YOU will all know but not me I guess 'cause of that 'something bad' having already happened.

Brian

Gnomes? Goblins? Gremlins?...
If you take that main stove knob key out...even momentarily...they'll run over from the beach and pour sand and salt water in your ignition.
Only if you're close to the ocean though...
Over in the high plains...they get dust storms.
Troof.

I use the big old stove knob key for everything, all the time, every time I ride the bike. That's what it's for...lol.
That's why the ignition says "FSS".

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »

Brian

If mother kawi really intended for you to take the key out and use it for the bags, why did she make it so BIG? You really don't want that stove knob in your pocket. What is the use model? Ride to a restaurant, turn to FSS, take it out, use it to open bags to put glove in or take out a book or what ever, lock the bags back up, put the key back in the ignition, activate KIPASS, turn it all the way back to lock. Now reverse the process when you get out of the restaurant. What a PITA! I mean they really didn't think this thing through.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
This is OUTSTANDING! We have not had a spirited 'discussion' of the merits / disasters of using the ign. key on a C-14 in a long time. Bob used to be the leader of that pack (the 'anti's'- he hated everything) but he is no longer with us (figuratively speaking, I assume and hope Bob is still very much with us).

Where you are going wrong is confusing 'taking the key out of the ign.' and 'putting they key in your pocket'. Why would you want to do that? Take the key out of the ign., use it where needed, then put it back. Easier and faster than tanking a key out of your pocket to do the same task.

And before we get to the part about how weak the ign. key is and how often it bends, try not to use it as a prying tool, don't step on it, etc., and all will be well. I remember one person forgetting the ign. key in a saddlebag, then kicking said key as he was throwing a leg over the bike. And of course, he whined about how weak the key was- stupid key!

I have been using the ignition key everywhere (Easy Boys, not THAT much of everywhere) since '07 and I still have an absolute full head of hair without the slightest hint of a bald spot! Coincidence? I don't think so..... A lot of you guys who never take the ignition key out are bald, which only goes to prove my point.

Brian

If mother kawi really intended for you to take the key out and use it for the bags, why did she make it so BIG? You really don't want that stove knob in your pocket. What is the use model? Ride to a restaurant, turn to FSS, take it out, use it to open bags to put glove in or take out a book or what ever, lock the bags back up, put the key back in the ignition, activate KIPASS, turn it all the way back to lock. Now reverse the process when you get out of the restaurant. What a PITA! I mean they really didn't think this thing through.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
The only thing I have to say about that is  :popcorn:

If you decide to use the Big As* Stove Knob Key or BASKK for short, be careful as we've had numerous reports and Internet rumours that the key stuck within it, can bend very easily.  If it's never taken out, it can't bend and get stuck in the ignition or the tank.  Brian just leads a charmed life.  He also soaks his fob in wine... ::)   I mean, really?  :rotflmao:

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2015, 03:04:04 PM »
I never said you shouldn't use it, I just said it felt wrong for some reason...LOL...I usually have a fob key in my right bag at all times unless the bike is unattended for a long period of time. So when I pull up to a gas pump I just reach over and grab the one out of my bag.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:00:25 PM by 2talltim »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
This is the thread that keeps on giving :)   (yeah, I injected new life into it from http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19115.0 )

Amazingly, I never even posted to this thread....  probably one of the several other similar ones.  I had a third-party key made so I don't have to remove the stove key nor do I have to disturb/disassemble the active fob I keep in a zippered jacket pocket.  Seems to work well, although it is bent some (the damn lock on the gas tank gets hard to turn all the time).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2015, 04:47:18 PM »
 Once just because and it went right back where it came from.
Use a fob key or a key that was cut for all needs.

Offline PH14

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »
I usually use the stove knob for everything, although lately I have begun to use the fob key. I have an idea though for a ground breaking innovation that would eliminate the need to dig the fob out of the pocket and remove the little key.  It would work for both the ignition and the bags and would eliminate the need to carry a fob. I'm going to call it...a key.  :thumbs:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
a KEY....what's that an acronym for?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »
Hey, it was not me but rather a moderator but still.... holy thread resurrection Batman! Still, it IS the same discussion, four years later. :-)  And those people who are ascairt of taking the ign. key out are still wrong, four years later.

:rotflmao:

Brian

This is the thread that keeps on giving :)   (yeah, I injected new life into it from http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19115.0 )

Amazingly, I never even posted to this thread....  probably one of the several other similar ones.  I had a third-party key made so I don't have to remove the stove key nor do I have to disturb/disassemble the active fob I keep in a zippered jacket pocket.  Seems to work well, although it is bent some (the damn lock on the gas tank gets hard to turn all the time).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2015, 06:47:45 PM »
In some other language, it stands for So Simple Only a Caveman Would Want It.

KiPass Rocks!

Brian

a KEY....what's that an acronym for?

Offline PH14

« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
Hey, it was not me but rather a moderator but still.... holy thread resurrection Batman! Still, it IS the same discussion, four years later. :-)  And those people who are ascairt of taking the ign. key out are still wrong, four years later.

:rotflmao:

Brian

An oldie but a goodie!  :chugbeer: :rotflmao:

I don't usually think twice about using the ignition key. It is usually quicker than getting the one out of the fob. I have kept my locks nice with graphite though so the key slides in and out out easily and turns nicely.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »
An oldie but a goodie!  :chugbeer: :rotflmao:

I don't usually think twice about using the ignition key. It is usually quicker than getting the one out of the fob. I have kept my locks nice with graphite though so the key slides in and out out easily and turns nicely.
So that's what KEY means...who knew.. :o We call it something else where I come from.