Author Topic: Do You Remove the STOVE KNOB key?  (Read 41534 times)

Offline Peter2011C14

Re: Do You Remove the STOVE PIPE key
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 05:22:02 AM »
I was also thinking that with the "stove knob" key out, rain would make a little pond in the recess.

Are those getting spare fob keys made, getting them done at any typical place that duplicates keys, or does it require a locksmith?

Thanks,
Peter
1993 Honda CBR1000F
1998 Triumph Adventurer
2011 C14 ABS Atomic silver
COG Member #769

Offline Conrad

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 05:26:13 AM »
I was also thinking that with the "stove knob" key out, rain would make a little pond in the recess.

Are those getting spare fob keys made, getting them done at any typical place that duplicates keys, or does it require a locksmith?

Thanks,
Peter

I made the mistake of spending too much by ordering a blank ($14) from my dealer and having it cut at my local locksmith ($1). I'd take the key to your local locksmith and see if they have a blank for you.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 05:44:03 AM »
spare key made life is easy.
not worried about someone using vice grips and stealing the bike ???
if I am worried about the location  and theft i use disk locks.
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Restless

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 05:45:14 AM »
Stove Pipe?  :rotflmao:

I removed the knob key once in the beginning to prove I could do it and to test the other keys in the ignition, otherwise it remained in the ignition where it belongs.   :thumbs:

I use the spare keys to work all the other locks period and probably will make the "knob" type spares from Radio Shack for the bags eventually.  Why risk bending the stove key??   :nuts:

I locked the steering once, again to prove it could be done.  No one has messed with my bike (so far) but then again it's never been far from my sight when parked or at least not for long.  I work at an Army Reserve Center so the risk of that has been low.

Kipass ROCKS! :chugbeer:
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline jumby

• Once you go black,,, you never go back!
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:13 AM »
Had my bike a year and haven't removed the key yet. I also never lock my forks.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:15 AM »
I don't even remove it to fill the tank and unlock the bags.  I use the fob key.

+ Me too. I use the fob key to access the bags and the tank. I never remove the Stove knob. Most people don't realize what it does. I only lock my forks at home. When I'm away I leave them unlocked in-case another biker needs to move me out a little to access his ride. 
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 08:27:24 PM »
never thought of that......... ???

Offline koval68

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
I never remove mine!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
I use the stove knob for gas and the fob key for the bags an seat.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

valkmc

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2011, 07:04:36 AM »
I don't even remove it to fill the tank and unlock the bags.  I use the fob key.

I never take mine out...I had several keys made at the local lock smith from my fob key. Cost me $11 total. I have one on a key chain I keep in the glove box on the tank. I put it in my pocket when I leave the bike.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »
This thread is 4 pages now?

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
no
no
no

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline m919

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 01:58:52 AM »
No, never take mine out at all. Its been out twice since new and I  do lock the forks.
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 07:10:53 AM »
>32,000 miles, never removed the stove thingie
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2011, 07:41:30 AM »
All the time.  If Kipass is going to break it will break.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »
So .....  ::)  With the stove knob on the bike all of the time, anyone could come up to the bike, remove the stove key, open up the bags, remove the seat, take any and all items you had stored in the bags or under the seat.  :o

Hummmmmmm...... I think Mama Kaw need to just make the stove knob a simple switch (not keyed) and then give us a real key for all of the lockable items on the bike.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »
So .....  ::)  With the stove knob on the bike all of the time, anyone could come up to the bike, remove the stove key, open up the bags, remove the seat, take any and all items you had stored in the bags or under the seat.  :o

Hummmmmmm...... I think Mama Kaw need to just make the stove knob a simple switch (not keyed) and then give us a real key for all of the lockable items on the bike.

You can't remove the stove knob key without the kipass fob.  ::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »

Only if you leave it in the FSS position. I only leave it in off or the steering lock position. Key will not come out in those positions.

Offline PH14

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »
I remove it all the time. I thought the whole reason for KIPASS was not having to dig in your pocket for a key.  ::) I take it out for gas and for the bags. I did use a graphite lock lubricant on the gas tank lock so that the key would work smoothly so I have had no issues. I still don't see the whole convenience think about KIPASS since you still need the key for the gas tank and the bags but it is what it is and the bike starts and runs. Personally a key would be easier. It's fine if you are simply riding, but if you actually have to put gas in the bike for some reason or maybe want to use the bags the system doesn't offer any convenience. 

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2011, 10:43:44 AM »
Reply to PH14 message regarding Graphite dusting of locks.

I always was taught by my dad to use graphite in locks. A few months ago when I went to a local locksmith, he told me not to use graphite as if it gets wet or get sprayed with silicone it cannot escape the lock and can cause binding / damage to the lock. He told me to use a teflon or silicone spray in the locks.

Anyone know if this is correct?

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"