Author Topic: New space SUV  (Read 1693 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
New space SUV
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:20:42 AM »
The Dream Chaser - service starting in 2017.  Why that's just around the corner...

http://theaviationist.com/2014/01/28/dream-chaser-video/

Interesting that it looks like a space shuttle on the end of a stick..  Rocket isn't reusable and it's really for carrying passengers than cargo, although all the seats fold down (kinda like my old Rambler station wagon).  It can fly without a pilot if carrying lots of cargo.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: New space SUV
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:47:03 AM »
I like the fuzzy dice on the dash at the end of the video.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:52:48 AM »
Nice touch.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
I'm worried already, that was Windows XP they were using.
Granted XP was good, but can't they at least use modern computers to develop it?

Ok, the release and land was way cool.
Plus I bet that was without a pilot.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 11:00:59 AM »
XP still has a few days left before it blows up.  April 8th is the end date.  Here's a fact sheet I wrote a while back.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
Didn't Steve Austin crash in one of those?
 ;D
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »
That looks like an X-38, on the front, we saw being moth balled when a few of us got a "behind the scenes" tour of JSC back in 2005/2006(?). 

Nice!   
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:23:29 AM »
It certainly does, but actually the design goes back to 1966 and the HL-10 from Northrop.  Either way, it looks like they're not re-inventing the wheel with the Dream Chaser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_HL-10