Author Topic: zx14 owners  (Read 30811 times)

Offline tomp

Re: zx14 owners
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
eye of the beholder....this is  :censored: ugly....

Honda must like the look, since they have since built the F6B, CTX700, and CTX1300, that all resemble that DN-01.  I always liked the NT700V/Deauville, but they were just too expensive for a 700cc touring bike...You could by a Concours for what Honda wanted for the NT.
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2014, 05:06:26 AM »
Not just rumors now.  Pretty close to perfect...Built off the 1190 platform, just mucho faster.

I like it...  8)
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »
Ok, let's get back on track with ZX-14s and not other bikes...please.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2014, 05:08:21 PM »
Ok, let's get back on track with ZX-14s and not other bikes...please.

OK, here ya go.  A Weekly Ride with Reuben, on the 2014 ZX14R.  Not a pro rider, just a guy who posts weekly reports on different bikes.  It is an enjoyable viewing, and the excitement he derives on this bike is addictive. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfIfLCYUaQ&index=24&list=PL6XiKFXsFxro-q41br7Fq0W1XoO1yDWlo
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2014, 06:28:41 AM »
Now i ask myself why did i watch that ...now i want one...do they have a "get of jail free card" option?

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2014, 07:22:53 AM »
Now i ask myself why did i watch that ...now i want one...do they have a "get of jail free card" option?

I value my life more than the adrenaline rush :)

As for the video- I would respect him more if he weren't blinding oncoming traffic in that one.  Otherwise, good video.   He is certainly giddy about riding it :)  Here is his video on the Concours:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi1bPhU6kSM&list=PL6XiKFXsFxro-q41br7Fq0W1XoO1yDWlo&index=28  he mispronounces the name (there is no "s" sound in "Concours") and misses a few features, but is also a good video (and he doesn't blind people either).  The sound and video quality in both are excellent, he is pretty informed about both bikes, adds good detail, and speaks well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
My dealer west of Munich had a demo day last year and I got to drive it in the Autobahn. There's a straight stretch with 3 lanes each way and about 3-4 miles long. Visibility was impeccable, and traffic was close to nil, so in 4th gear at 60 mph (I figured that should be safe) I whacked the throttle. By the time my brain reacted I was well over 160 mph and running out of road. I had to coast for a couple of minutes to have time to put myself together (shacking knees, testicles on the throat, dislocated shoulders... you know that wonderful feeling).
After that experience I got to drive the S1000RR for a few times and got used to those speeds, but the serenity with which that Kawasaki does it is the surreal part, while on the BMW you're always with white knuckles. At 55 mph the BMW is revving at 4000 rpm in 6th gear, while the Kawasaki is only at 3000 rpm. For reference, the C14 would be doing a bit over 2600 rpm.

Bottom line: I'd love to own one.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »
I wouldn't mind owning one, but it definitely wouldn't replace the C14. My C14 is fast enough, has plenty of power and is MUCH cheaper to insure. If I wanted a sport bike, I would add something to the garage that's lite and dedicated for track riding, not a 600lbs 1/4 mile bike. :)

Offline Cuda

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »
I've been doing my best to slow down , that bike would not help.
I'm happy with the performance of my bike :finger_fing11:
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
Don't set yourself up for a big letdown. The c14 is not and cannot be a zx. The only way you'll make that power is with a turbo.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2014, 04:14:47 AM »
New to sport tourers, eh?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2014, 05:55:45 AM »
So I just bought a GTR is that what you guys call them? I want the GTR to be as powerful as my ZX [...]I REEEALLY HOPE I DIDN'T MAKE A MISTAKE...

Congrats.  The Concours is better than the ZX-14 in just about every way.... except acceleration/power.  If that is your primary objective, you have made a huge mistake and will never be happy.  Just read this entire thread.  The Concours engine was designed for more low end power, less vibration and noise, and more reliability.  You cannot get the same power out of the Concours engine by replacing the exhaust, flashing the ECU, replacing the headers, etc.  It would require practically rebuilding the entire thing, probably costing more than both bikes combined.

The Concours is plenty powerful for most people.  And with some relatively simple and reasonable cost mods, you can take it to the next level.  But that level is not ZX level.

Like are the throttle bodies the same... I don't know.

Perhaps you should have found out before buying one.  No, they are not the same.  Neither are the pistons, the head, the cams, the intake, the exhaust, etc.

What or how, or why did they de-tune the motor?

Read this thread first.

And what do I need to do the bring it back...

It is not "detuned" and it is not "bringing it back".  It is designed for specific goals for sports touring... and it is the best in its class.

I need to lower the rear end at least 3 inches

Not possible, there is not enough clearance.  1" is the maximum safe lowering.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2014, 06:40:55 AM »
and could care less about the center stand... excess weight to carry for no reason.  Who even uses those?

Damn handy for maintenance and doit yourself tire changers like myself.

I hear what your saying, you want it all. Fast AND comfy for long distance. The whole point of the Sport Tour segment. But if you really want ZX14R performance I wonder it if might be easier to modify the ZX for comfort. Taller bars, windshield, after market seat and bags. Seems easier and cheaper then, throttle bodies, exhaust, stroked crank, forged pistons etc.

Offline BobK

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2014, 06:51:05 AM »
As others have said the Concours will never be a ZX! I have both and the 14R is the fastest bike on the planet at least until the NINJA H2 comes out on the 30th. Part of the problem with the C14 would be the shaft drive not being able to handle the power for long term use and the massive weight of the bike and poor aeros. So my suggestion would be to go back to a ZX14R put Spiegler bars on it and buy some soft cases for touring. I can ride my ZX all day long with that set up. The only reason I bought the Concours was for two up riding comfort for my passenger.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2014, 08:00:04 AM »
I

I need to lower the rear end at least 3 inches, and could care less about the center stand... excess weight to carry for no reason.  Who even uses those? 

I use my center stand every time I fill up- it helps me fill up the tank to the very, very top.
These bikes don't have the best fuel range, making the most of it helps on long rides.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
I use my center stand every time I fill up- it helps me fill up the tank to the very, very top.
These bikes don't have the best fuel range, making the most of it helps on long rides.

Really...  I lost my center stand two years ago and I don't miss it at all , I have no problem putting gas to the top , I never get off the bike ? 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »

The center stand is very useful for maintenance.  But I don't need to use that to fill to the safe "top" of the tank.  If you fill THAT far up the neck, you risk it going out the vent the moment there is any lean.  Gas is too expensive for that :)

People are surprised when they ask and I tell them I get, on average, about 42MPG (mix of highway/city, but usually no really hard acceleration).  Big engine.  Big bike.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2014, 04:57:17 PM »
Wow, that's pretty bad.  I get better than that...about 47 last trip.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »
Really...  I lost my center stand two years ago and I don't miss it at all , I have no problem putting gas to the top , I never get off the bike ?

Ha! I sometimes don't get off the bike either...especially during any IBA rides...lol.

Fill to the brim, pay at the pump, and grab the car squeegee and give my helmet shield a quick scrub without taking my helmet off...lol. That usually gets a laugh out of anybody that's watching;).
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »
If you take the spare key out of a fob, put it in the fuel cap and leave it there, you can do all that you mention without turning the bike off. Saves time 'cause you can go as soon as the pump handle is mostly in the well.... :-)

I got more than 30 hours out of my C-14 doing that one time. It did not end well but the start and middle part were OK.  ;D

Brian

Ha! I sometimes don't get off the bike either...especially during any IBA rides...lol.

Fill to the brim, pay at the pump, and grab the car squeegee and give my helmet shield a quick scrub without taking my helmet off...lol. That usually gets a laugh out of anybody that's watching;).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com